Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if coolants are specific to manufacturers. I have some BMW 50/50 water / coolant mix that I bought for my R1200RT. I suppose its OK to add this to the AT if I need to ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does anyone know if coolants are specific to manufacturers. I have some BMW 50/50 water / coolant mix that I bought for my R1200RT. I suppose its OK to add this to the AT if I need to ?
Look at the composition of the coolant. The Honda HP coolant is composed of a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would rather buy the Honda coolant for peace of mind. You willing to take chances with a new bike..? better safe than sorry.. The coolant is not that expensive to warrant taking a chance in risk of the mixture not gelling properly..

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had a similar question (except mine was Acura Type II for cars), and motorcycle dealership said "coolant is coolant".

Just make sure its got the same type of mix.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I prefer to use the correct Honda fluid been using it for years, never had a problem , Trouble is with using other makes, how do you know they'll mix ok without getting some sort of reaction with one another , ? you don't ! until a gasket starts to leak etc etc ,

·
Registered
465 Posts
I prefer to use the correct Honda fluid been using it for years, never had a problem , Trouble is with using other makes, how do you know they'll mix ok without getting some sort of reaction with one another , ? you don't ! until a gasket starts to leak etc etc ,
I wonder if the reason why I experienced coolant leak after logging 326 miles on my AF was because my Honda dealership mixed two different brands of coolants. Hmmm...you might be onto something. :wink2:

·
Registered
504 Posts
I do my own maintenance on all the motorcycles I’ve owned & haven’t had any problems with different name brand coolants. I’m currently using EngineIce high performance coolant ,use it in my race bike & my street bikes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
EngineIce high performance coolant ,use it in my race bike & my street bikes.
Circuit road track or dirt? Because they don't allow Engine Ice for circuit road tracks. At least not when I was racing. May have changed now...don't know.

I used Redline Water Wetter in my race bikes but for street I wanted to stay with street/regular coolant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts