Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'6" and half so when I sit on an AT at 33.5" I can touch the ground with my toes. I read you should be able to stand flat footed on a street bike though I don't think that's possible on these bikes. How much of my feet should touch the ground to be safe? I intend to ride mostly street and some off road. The AT will be my only source of transportation.

I read you can buy kits to lower these bikes though may create problems. I didn't see other threads about this or know where it should be posted. Any assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm new to the African Twin (like picked it up on Monday) so I can't speak to the options of lowering it. Personally, I'd try to avoid doing anything extensively to lower it except for changing the seat. I know my '18 adventure sports seat has two settings just by placing the seat in a different latches. I'm 5'11" and have it on the lower setting. I've read that there's a different seat that is even lower.

Anyways, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule that you need to be able to flat foot a street bike. Obviously, if you're a new rider, then being able to flat foot a street bike is at least somewhat safer. But if you feel safe/comfortable, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that you could touch down on a slick surface and that could be an issue.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I’m same height with 32” inseam. Stock bike with seat on low position is fine.
My suspension SAG is properly set for my 150lb necked + year weight @16 clicks in from ful out.
Balls of feet on ground.
Get used to sliding your ass for one foot flat down other on peg Dirt Bike style when you need it.
I wouldn’t lower the suspension.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Shoot...I have you guys all beat!

I'm 5'5" with a 28" inseam. No lowering link here. Never lowered any of my bikes. Like black99S, I slide quickly off the seat. Also, for us vertically challenged riders, we need to be more conscious of where we stop (i.e. the base where the driveway meets the curb).

The biggest challenge for me is trying to lift the side stand up from sitting position when parked on an incline. I plan on having a fabricator weld an arm like those found on most, if not every, sportbikes. This being my first ADV bike, I was surprised to find it didn't come with one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
5'9" with 29" inseam here. I bought the [incredibly reasonably priced for OEM stuff] OEM lower seat and have it set in the low position. I can flat foot either side without too much sliding off the side or I can place the balls of my feet on both sides.

The issue that I have is the weight of the bike. Compared to my previous Kawasaki Versys 650 or even the KLR 650 (both gave me less foot positioning) I am a lot more weary of slow turns from a standstill and abrupt stops in uneven terrain. I've dropped it twice already. It doesn't take much angle before there is no way for me to hold it up.

But, to be honest, I think that is more of a rider issue than the bike. I've been watching a lot of ADV riding videos and it really doesn't seem to matter whether you can plant both feet on the ground and still have 10" between your butt and the seat. The weight of the bike is the same for everyone and, in all those videos, the riders in all the slow maneuvers and situations I am concerned/insecure about have their feet firmly planted on the pegs - not the ground.

I am seriously considering taking a formal ADV riding course and your post inspired me to ask the community for recommendations.

Reactions: Jon823 and Nemesis

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 5'7" and my toes barely touch when I'm stopped. I slid the front forks up 3/4" in the clamps which helped a little bit. Just be aware that the fork body tapers below the lower clamp which limits how much you can move them.

My next move is to save up for the Touratech low seat. Hopefully that will kill two birds with one stone as the stock seat is not the most comfortable thing in the world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I guess I should just do it and buy the bike. I have two artificial hips so my hip strength from side to side isn't the best. I think I need to get in the mind set if it starts falling beyond what I can do, go with it and don't save it. Riding a 1,000 cc bike in the dirt sounds interesting.

I found a thread where one guy wrote that the bike can only tip to one side at a time so put that foot down. I guess that's why it's embarrassing when they do fall over. I'm reading mixed reviews about the OEM low seat on how comfortable it is. I'll have to do some more research on that. I haven't read about the Touratech low seat yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm reading mixed reviews about the OEM low seat on how comfortable it is.
I had a Corbin seat in the shopping cart when I saw the $149 for the OEM seat. I bought that because of an imminent trip I was taking and figured I could always sell it with minimal loss afterwards or keep it as a backup.

I had not taken a long trip in over 10 years and rode 860 miles with only gas stops on the first day and then another 900 on the last day (going and coming to Colorado from Arkansas - OK and TX are boring as celery). In between I put another 1,100 miles with a 60/40 mix of dirt and road and lots of sightseeing/pictures etc. I had packed a lot of Aleve in expectation of the pain I would feel and was pleasantly surprised at how bearable (without the Aleve) it was, particularly since I now weigh 275 lbs and that is a lot more pressure down under than when I did a long haul last. It got even better when I stopped at a small shop in Colorado and bought a sheepskin for $30.

I might eventually get the Corbin. Every time I hear someone talk about them it seems that they are the equivalent of sitting on sleeping fluffy kittens but, to tell you the truth, it will be mainly -if not exclusively- for looks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
5' 9" and 29" seam, two hip fixes. My 2017 AT DCT shows 7250 happy miles.

With factory standard seat in low position, only my toes touched down.

So, factory low seat (comfort OK) in low position, drop front at triple clamp 3/4", fit Soupy's lowering link to drop rear 1". Now I can flat foot on level ground.

The lowering link is quickly adjusted in place with two wrenches. At $135 and very well engineered, that is not so expensive. It was also necessary to cut/weld about 1" out of the center stand and I also fitted an adjustable side stand.

I find the AT heavy at low speeds and I am still learning to maneuver with the DCT. Not there yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
5' 9" and 29" seam

I find the AT heavy at low speeds and I am still learning to maneuver with the DCT. Not there yet.
I found my doppleganger!

I'm with you on the slow speed maneuvers with the DCT. Have to be very, VERY conscious about controlling the muscle memory of revving up while feathering the clutch. I imagine I'm a split second of inattention from gunning that throttle and providing a lot of amusement to any co-riders who might be about...:grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts