Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 ATAS. I have been looking everywhere to find the correct size of the rear tire inner tube. There is nothing listed in the Honda Service manual. I have never seen a 150/70 18 tube. I have seen people say to use a 140/110 18 tube which is fairly close in tire size and seemingly the only thing available that is close in size. Also I have seen a 4.00/4.50 used on the rear which is kind of small and would match the rim but not the tire. The rear rim is 4.00 x 18 but the tire ,150mm, is 5.90 or closer to 6. I know that tubes can stretch but the tube gets thinner doing it and you don't want too large of a tube or it could fold and then you get a flat anyway.

Front: Tire 90/90 21 Tube 2.75/3.00 - 21 (This size was with a Honda parts number)
Rear: Tire 150/70 18 Tube ??

Also do put in new tubes with new tires every time or only replace them if needed? Do you put any talcum powder in for friction negation between the Tire and Tube? I am only used to dirt bikes and am much less finicky with the tubes in that application where I only replace as needed and use talcum power, but tubes are readily available in those sizes if needed, cheap, and I am not doing 80 MPH down the highway with them, well rarely anyway.

I have been toying with doing a 3M tape tubeless conversion on the rear wheel and leaving the front tubed just because of this rear tube size issue. Maybe I am overthinking it. I just want to have everything on hand when I change out these tires and not have a week down waiting for a tube. I guess I could just order the OEM tube from Honda and see if the thing is marked in size but another $40 just for a tube when tires are already going to cost over $300 seems a little ridiculous especially with the mileage I am racking up.

·
Registered
2018 Africa Twin AS Manual
12 Posts
I had similar frustration finding the correct rear tube. The Honda shop tried to sell me an aftermarket extra heavy duty tube (thick and heavy) that was cross listed for multiple size ranges. The package had a warning “not for high speed/highway use / off road only etc. I was leery of their sales push since I mostly ride on pavement. I ended up ordering the Honda OEM front and rear tubes. Rear tube is made by Dunlop and front by IRC. Both tubes have the size printed on the tube.

Yes, I put in new tubes when changing tires. I fluff a bit of talc around the inside of the new tires using a shop towel. Be warned talcum is hard to come by. I sourced mine at an auto parts store - made specific for tire tubes and I bought a can of tire lube with a bead swabbing brush.

Edit: Should also mention I installed new OEM Honda front and rear rim strips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had similar frustration finding the correct rear tube. The Honda shop tried to sell me an aftermarket extra heavy duty tube (thick and heavy) that was cross listed for multiple size ranges. The package had a warning “not for high speed/highway use / off road only etc. I was leery of their sales push since I mostly ride on pavement. I ended up ordering the Honda OEM front and rear tubes. Rear tube is made by Dunlop and front by IRC. Both tubes have the size printed on the tube.

Yes, I put in new tubes when changing tires. I fluff a bit of talc around the inside of the new tires using a shop towel. Be warned talcum is hard to come by. I sourced mine at an auto parts store - made specific for tire tubes and I bought a can of tire lube with a bead swabbing brush.

Edit: Should also mention I installed new OEM Honda front and rear rim strips.
Do you know what the size was on the rear OEM Honda tube?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this is old, but I finally replaced my tires and tubes. I ordered the Honda OEM tubes. The old tubes I pulled out after 5200 miles looked fine and I could have reused them but at least I have them for spares now. The rear is a 140:150/70R18 and hard to find. The OEM and the link Cuchulian posted are the only ones I have ever seen. While I have seen guys use smaller more common ones on the rear, the danger is tube stretching which can make them very thin and prone to premature failure. The front is common 2.75/3.00-21 and the same size as my front on my 650L which is nice.
Fluid Liquid Food Gas Ingredient
Material property Font Fluid Gas Health care

1 - 5 of 5 Posts