Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, picking up my new 19 next week I have read reports of some corrosion issues with the cfl. On my other bikes I give them a coat of acf50 is there particular areas to pay extra attention to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The workmanship on the post 2018 models seems to be better and the corrosion issues (so far) are not as prevalent. But, it doesn't harm to give it a good coating, the welds were one of the areas that had issues.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I live in UK and generally only ride in dry weather. I am doing my IAM so did have to get wet a bit but avoided all salt. I keep it it a ventilated but unheated garage. I did spray it with ACF50 but to be honest this is not enough. I always use a bike dryer when wet and spend a lot of time caring for it. What caught me out was oxidisation that happened quite quickly to spoke nipples (spokes are stainless so fine), silence bracket, rear brake and gear lever and various bolts and fixings. I now use ACF50 with a paintbrush on many parts and have removed and treated many fixings with anti-corrosion grease and painted a few minor parts to prevent corrosion. I had some advice on the forum to try some Rustoleum Hard-Hat 2102 Clear Adhesion Primer. I have treated the rear wheel and spoke nipples as a test. it's seems a good product but is too early to say if this is successful. I have moaned a lot on the forum how Honda can make such a beautiful product and finish it with poorly plated parts. Having established what is vulnerable, I think I have sorted the issue and now know where to pay attention. Living in the wet and warm UK, I think we see more corrosion than many other markets. Nobody can also explain why my bicycles, lawn mowers and tons of other machinery stored in the same garage do not corrode like my adventure motorcycle.

So, in short, keep the bike in your lounge and you won't go far wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply, I normally get All year biker to treat all my bikes and to date never had corrosion issues, all my bikes are sports bikes so I don’t tend to use water to wash them but now getting a adventure bike it might see more dirt etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts