Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This French blog site (use google translate) has some disturbing pictures of discolouration and corrosion.

http://africatwin1000.blogspot.sg/2016/03/honda-qualite-des-materiaux.html

Are any current owners here seeing any similar issues? When my AT arrives I will do what I can to keep it looking good. First on the list is a professional full vinyl wrap for the fairing, tank, side panels and front mudguard, Honda Bigwing in Bangkok are doing the dismantling and reassembly. I will attempt to wrap frame, partial swinging arm, rims and any exposed black plastic myself. Hopefully we'll have some more creative (but still functional) crash bar/engine bar options soon which again will be wrapped or powder coated. If anyone has any other tips or product recommendations for long term protection/preservation please let me know.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That is erey's blog and I think marekm posted some of these pictures on this forum the other day.

The main issue appears to be the wheels but one guy has also reported a bit of spot rust on the frame, exhaust hanger and some bolts.

I think Honda is replacing wheels if they are bad but you have to wonder how long they will do that for if loads of the bikes end up having the same problem when they get exposed to salt or anything else that corrodes them.

I don't ride when salt is around as I'm a late Spring through to early Autumn rider so it will be interesting to see how my bike fairs - but erey lives in Southern Europe with no salt on the road and his wheels have been affected.

Feels a bit like returning to the late 70's when my bikes used to rust in front of my eyes... A bit like my Alfa Romeo Alfasud used to do.

Shame - as it could all take away from the brilliance of the actual bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha,ha. Exactly what worries me, going back to the seventies. I live in the Tropics so no danger of salted roads but will be riding in the monsoon season. I'm intending on keeping the AT for a long time so want to preserve it's initial good looks as best I can, I'll be doing some off-pavement stuff but nothing that should ding it up too badly. I hate it when you see perfectly good late model bikes ruined due to UV whitened paint/plastics and dull, discoloured galvanized fasteners.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A lot of bikes (from most manufacturers) seem to suffer corroded bolt problems - and they are easily replaced for a reasonable cost usually. Although you have to wonder why they don't use better ones in the first place - the price difference in more premium bikes must be very marginal (we're not talking scooter-volumes).

But wheels etc. are a bit more difficult...

·
Registered
123 Posts
None of my bikes (22 to date) showed signs of corrosion. All were used reasonably, i.e. no winter riding, but no meticulous cleaning after every ride either.

AT is probably my last "new" bike. What I have read and seen so far (corrosion, DCT & switch-gear problems, poor quality plastics, etc.) is very disappointing. A total anticlimax to the hype that they have created over the long introduction period :frown2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@marekm I feel your pain, unfortunately I suspect this will also be the last new big bike I will buy. On paper and visually it's ticks every box I wanted but even before I've taken delivery I've had to swallow crazy, unappealing colour choices (only black or silver) for DCT model, my dealer says almost every enquiry is for Red or Tri-colour. Now it looks like some of the materials choices are not up to scratch but I'm not cancelling my order just yet.

Mentally I will have to accept spending additional time and money to try and mitigate these deficiencies from the beginning, I like you am not going to be obsessively cleaning the bike after every ride and I shouldn't have to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've had zero problems with corrosion or any of the other problems people are reporting. The bike's everything I expected and much more, definitely one of the best out of the more than 50 I've owned. Every day I look forward to riding it. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do any of you guys have problems with corrosion on the spokes?

Here some pictures

As you can see the rims aren't totally clean but I tried to clean the spokes I photographed. I tried to clean them with water.

Here a pictures from the rack who also has some small damage from the camelback backpack I strap onto the rack daily.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think you might be seeing problems where they don't exist. I can't believe the team building the NC750X and the team on the AT did not talk to each other. And I have ridden the NC through 3 British winters in all conditions and in general it has held up very well. The only part of the bike that has suffered is the painted steel swing arm which has flaked, but oddly the bare metal underneath has not rusted (is it galvanised?)
Both bikes are built in Japan - however the NC doesn't have spoke wheels and they do look a bit worrying. I'm sure Honda will sort an issue like that. The bike's too important for them to ignore it. (Triumph replaced wheels on their Rocket 3 when they suffred corrosion under the lacquer coat)
Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think you might be seeing problems where they don't exist. I can't believe the team building the NC750X and the team on the AT did not talk to each other. And I have ridden the NC through 3 British winters in all conditions and in general it has held up very well. The only part of the bike that has suffered is the painted steel swing arm which has flaked, but oddly the bare metal underneath has not rusted (is it galvanised?)
Both bikes are built in Japan - however the NC doesn't have spoke wheels and they do look a bit worrying. I'm sure Honda will sort an issue like that. The bike's too important for them to ignore it. (Triumph replaced wheels on their Rocket 3 when they suffred corrosion under the lacquer coat)
Mike
Looks to me like it just needs a proper clean,a quick rinse with water aint going to do it! :smile2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

As you can see the rims aren't totally clean but I tried to clean the spokes I photographed. I tried to clean them with water.

Here a pictures from the rack who also has some small damage from the camelback backpack I strap onto the rack daily.
Spokes and rims look sort of stained I would ask the dealer what is recommended method to clean them and if still in bad condition enquire about warranty replacements.

The rack/grab rails are IMHO just a bad choice of finish from Honda, this area is always going to see a lot of wear and tear so why didn't Honda either paint them black to start with or if grey/silver is a "must have" use a grey alloy?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Spokes and rims look sort of stained I would ask the dealer what is recommended method to clean them and if still in bad condition enquire about warranty replacements.

The rack/grab rails are IMHO just a bad choice of finish from Honda, this area is always going to see a lot of wear and tear so why didn't Honda either paint them black to start with or if grey/silver is a "must have" use a grey alloy?
Yes - I have got a Honda rack on the NC and it is showing similar wear and tear marks after 3 years, but it still looks good in the main. And I can't work out whether it's made of some composite plastic or alloy. I'm leaning towards plastic though.
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts

Here some pictures

Mine are exactly the same as these... The bike has only done 424 mile and been in the rain for 1 day.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
The rear rack its made out of black plastic coated in grey paint of some sort , GREAT IDEA
Honda , ... NOPE . I have worked with plastic materials in the past and i know that if they have used grey pigment in the compound instead of the black one there would be no problem and no need to coat the parts . No matter how much you rub them they would remain grey , at no extra cost , but the black AT uses black handles/racks so i guess it would involve too much effort to produce two different colours .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine has corroded spokes just like abj ,:frown2: really not good enough, is it ?
No it's not! I hope they are covered under warranty. I read on a S10 forum that suffers from this problem and the best solution was treating with AFC-50 every 3 or 4 washes, it's fiddly because rotor and calliper must be masked off and getting it on the tread is a no,no. Apparently AFC-50 was designed to protect against salt corrosion (but works for all corrosion) in aircraft which explains why the only distributor I can find is the local flying club.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm new to ACF50 but I've found it easier to put on by spraying it onto a cloth and then wiping the cloth on the bits I want to protect (i.e. anything remotely metal on the AT it would seem). Spraying it seems to get the floor of the garage nicely protected though!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Many people use an artist's paintbrush to apply acf50. That would work on the spokes without getting on the disks. you only need a tiny amount of acf50 as it 'creeps'. Also it's not the end of the world if small amounts get on disks. It burns off very quickly.
It's excellent stuff but it does wear off and in particular it washes off after a few trips in wet weather. Also you need to use a cheap car shampoo to wash the bike - the expensive ones contain solvents that will remove the acf50 in one go.
Mike

1 - 20 of 106 Posts