Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who has had a 16k service from an official Honda dealer let us know what they charged please? My dealer wants £420 which seems very high.
Mike

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's a big con surely, Fiat do a 900cc twin cylinder car engine powering a 1 ton vehicle with 2,3,4 passengers...service interval ? 18k miles...and there are lots of examples about with 60k plus miles....but in answer to your question, apologies, nowhere near that milestone yet

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 600 mile service: one new oil filter $6.50 , 5 quarts of simi synthetic oil $32.50 . Total cost. $39.00. I probably could of found some cheaper oil , but hey it’s only money ????

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a big con surely, Fiat do a 900cc twin cylinder car engine powering a 1 ton vehicle with 2,3,4 passengers...service interval ? 18k miles...and there are lots of examples about with 60k plus miles....but in answer to your question, apologies, nowhere near that milestone yet
The Fiat engine will have hydraulic valves and they won't need adjusting like those on a bike, it's clutch doesn't run in the engine oil like a bike, and it doesn't rev as high
Agreed, it's expensive, but even as a reasonably competent mechanic I'm crap at valve clearances! I'd probably get them done at an independent dealer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was at a local off roadking shop today. I was informed that the spark plugs from Honda were £400 a set.
They can get them for £100, so who is wrong here?
They also said honda has the monopoly on these plugs as they were made for this model.
No matter what bike you buy, there's always a greedy supplier at the end of the food chain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spark plugs are getting cheaper soon: https://www.ngk.de/en/news/ngk-pres...rmarket-assortment-for-motorcycles-and-quads/

The newly introduced SILMAR8C9 (OE part no. 31917K40F01, NGK stock no. 90097) and SILMAR8A9S (OE part no. 31909MJPG51, NGK stock no. 90992) are used as original parts by Honda. They are also endowed with an Iridium tip on the centre electrode and a platinum reinforced SPE ground electrode. While the first one is OE on the NSS Forza 125AD ABS, the second is a perfect match for the CRF 1000 Africa Twin series.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Everything is easily done at home if you have a little knowledge, apart from valve clearances at 24,000 kilometres. Oil and filters, air filters, brake fluid, coolant change are pretty easy on the AT. Spark plugs are about $25 each here in Oz - x 4

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also bought the package of three services when I got the bike in 2016.
this was around £500 plus Vat.
Dealer for a standard package service including valve clearance checks (also has spark plugs) is £499 so unfortunately the £450 looks about standard.

One point on spark plug replacement - looking at the workshop manual you need to move the radiators to get to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts