Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 2021 1100 basic and I have found the engine braking to be harsh. To much engine braking in my opinion. As others have mentioned it made city riding Jerky.

My bike now appears to have lost its engine braking all together. It no longer holds back on the hills or slows the bike enough to not need the brakes when catching up with traffic.
Now the bike just rolls . When I close the throttle the bike carries on like I'm feathering the throttle. It is a very different ride to how it used to be. The EB settings have no effect so
I phoned my dealer and booked it in for diagnostics.
I've just got back from the dealer after being told the computer says there's nothing wrong and my bike and its fine.
It is definitely a different ride. So was my bike excessively engine braking before and now its fixed itself or is the dealer fobbing me off?

Has anyone experienced this problem?

This 1100 has considerably more engine braking than my previous ATAS 1000. Or rather it did.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
That is bothersome. It is like the system is stuck in a configuration state.

Did the dealership/garage explain why they think all is good? (i.e. with hard examples)

Did they do, or recommend an ECU reset?

·
Registered
2022 Africa Twin Manual. R380B.
419 Posts
@Hood see comment #21 above.
Well it can be possible the EB works intermittent by some reason?
I personally did not took note, or had investigated this.
Next ride will be putting attention to this area.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have a 2021 1100 basic and I have found the engine braking to be harsh. To much engine braking in my opinion. As others have mentioned it made city riding Jerky.

My bike now appears to have lost its engine braking all together. It no longer holds back on the hills or slows the bike enough to not need the brakes when catching up with traffic.
Now the bike just rolls . When I close the throttle the bike carries on like I'm feathering the throttle. It is a very different ride to how it used to be. The EB settings have no effect so
I phoned my dealer and booked it in for diagnostics.
I've just got back from the dealer after being told the computer says there's nothing wrong and my bike and its fine.
It is definitely a different ride. So was my bike excessively engine braking before and now its fixed itself or is the dealer fobbing me off?

Has anyone experienced this problem?

This 1100 has considerably more engine braking than my previous ATAS 1000. Or rather it did.
Yes - mine is a 2019 standard AT DCT but I have written several posts in other threads that describe a similar effect to what you are describing. I don't think mine is as pronounced as what you are describing and unfortunately for me, when it switches into a lesser engine braking mode it doesn't last.
Can you experiment with riding through town slowly while the bike is stuck in this zero engine braking mode, and tell us whether the hesitation jerkiness is also gone, as it's one of my theories that the two issues are intimately connected?
Mike

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@Hood see comment #21 above.
Well it can be possible the EB works intermittent by some reason?
I personally did not took note, or had investigated this.
Next ride will be putting attention to this area.

On my 2021 it was severe most of the time although on occasions it seemed to be fine for no apparent reason but it would not last. When I say wouldn't last I mean the very next time I rolled off it would likely be back to severe unless I was extremely gentle closing the throttle. I had no noticeable difference between EB settings, all acted the same.
On my 2022 it works as I think it should and I notice a difference between EB settings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The dealer just said there are no faults found on the computer and the mechanic who also owns an AT said it rides just fine. He suggested I change down a gear.
I didn't ask wich model he had and I haven't ridden other 1100's but I am certain something has changed.
I will ride round town to see if the jerkiness has improved.
Forgot to mention I had to pay for diagnostic as there were no faults found. £45.00

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What setting have you got the EB on? there is a noticeable difference on my 2022 between 1,2 and 3 which is exactly like it should be. My 2021 had no noticeable difference and they all were like I was applying the brakes.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,147 Posts
I'd like an explanation of this too, but for a different scenario. I can be in cruise control at 70mph and touch the brake and it can be like hitting a brick wall. Other times it's a nice gentle deceleration. I've ruled out head and tail wind effects by trying it in both directions on windy days and the result is the same unpredictable engine braking.
Mike
DCT?
On the DCT the EB is wayyyyyy different between S & D. And in D mode it is also different above around 2000 rpm. Tho I’m guessing at 70mph you are in 6th and at the same RPM each time..
Basically at a certain RPM the ECU considers it as aggressive driving and responds with aggressive EB.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
My 2019 AT DCT model has a meaningful EB behaviour that is quite satisfying at all speed ranges. I use the default "2" value. I have been thinking of reducing the effect on long freeway runs, but I haven't bothered.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a 2021 1100 basic and I have found the engine braking to be harsh.

^^^That's crazy. Now you are stuck with no engine braking?!

Honestly, I think many of the electronic 'features' are broken on the AT. I've tried REALLY hard many times in many situations to notice any difference in the ABS, EB, gravel mode and TCS and found none. Wheelie control is the only one that definitely changes.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
DCT?
On the DCT the EB is wayyyyyy different between S & D. And in D mode it is also different above around 2000 rpm. Tho I’m guessing at 70mph you are in 6th and at the same RPM each time..
Basically at a certain RPM the ECU considers it as aggressive driving and responds with aggressive EB.
I know the effect you are talking about, but I'm fairly sure that changing between D and the various S modes only changes the rpm points at which the gears will change, and I don't think it alters the engine braking. In my case the experiment with the cruise control at 70mph meant that the gearbox stayed in 6th gear all the time
Mike

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,147 Posts
I know the effect you are talking about, but I'm fairly sure that changing between D and the various S modes only changes the rpm points at which the gears will change, and I don't think it alters the engine braking. In my case the experiment with the cruise control at 70mph meant that the gearbox stayed in 6th gear all the time
Mike
Lol I could be mistaken and 99% of the time I’m in User mode. And occasionally switch to Gravel when it’s raining. On a occasion I use Tour maybe that’s what I’m thinking. I know one of them will hold 6th till you are almost stopped. :D

Reactions: mike5100

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Lol I could be mistaken and 99% of the time I’m in User mode. And occasionally switch to Gravel when it’s raining. On a occasion I use Tour maybe that’s what I’m thinking. I know one of them will hold 6th till you are almost stopped. :D
Yeah - that's D-mode and and using the throttle very gently. But it's the D-mode and the gentle throttle that keep it in a high gear, not the engine power mode or the engine braking setting as far as I can tell.
Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
The tech changed my EB setting to maximum from the minimum I had set previously.
It is not working at all in any setting.
And unfortunately the bike is still a jerky round town.
I guess I will get used to that lack of engine braking but I don't think I should have to on a new bike.
If the computer says there's no fault there is no fault. Apparently.
Not sure where to go from here. If it turns out to be an intermittent fault it could become dangerous if I we're expecting EB and it wasn't there.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
740 Posts
Latte to the party here but have you tried all the other riding settings/power mods. If in d mode it will have little effect, but in sport mode it should be noticeable. Perhaps even going to the old pull the battery cable off overnight trick.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The tech changed my EB setting to maximum from the minimum I had set previously.
It is not working at all in any setting.
And unfortunately the bike is still a jerky round town.
I guess I will get used to that lack of engine braking but I don't think I should have to on a new bike.
If the computer says there's no fault there is no fault. Apparently.
Not sure where to go from here. If it turns out to be an intermittent fault it could become dangerous if I we're expecting EB and it wasn't there.
wow - I wish they could find out what was different about your bike so I could modify mine for no engine braking !! There is not much difference between the 3 engine braking levels - at least on my 2019 AT. My guess is they COULD have made it much more noticeable but may have been worried about accidents. If you were used to a high engine braking setting and you dialled in for the first time a very weak engine braking, perhaps they were worried you'd have an accident at your first set of lights or bend 🤷‍♂️. What bike have you come from to the Africa Twin. I think my At has too much engine braking but it has way less than my 2008 Versys had
Mike

21 - 36 of 36 Posts