Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! Just a quick question. Iv noticed that I'm always emptying my crankcase breather every few hundred miles. It's not full but maybe an inch up the tube every 3 to 500 miles and when I empty it it's never as much as it looks like when it's in the tube. Iv done some research and I see it's not uncommon. It's only in the left side crankcase breather and never the air box hoses. Motor runs great, no weird noises or anything. Anyone else observing this on thier AT? The manual does say to check and empty more often if riding at full throttle or in the rain. I hit full throttle occasionally but not for more than a few seconds and I havnt scene the rain in months. Just curious if this is common.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The left side rearmost tube It is an airbox drain - from the lowest point of the airbox that collects the crankcase breather drooling. Common to be the only tube that requires draining.
Next time you have the tank off replace the hose with a longer section (buy hose from fish tank store) and zip tie to other hoses near left footpeg. Then you only need to drain it when there is 6" of oil in it, and it's much easier to access with the longer length.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, totally common and normal. I usually drain mine when ever I lube my chain. Only a teaspoon usually accumulates in that time and only ever in the left rear tube.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The left side rearmost tube It is an airbox drain - from the lowest point of the airbox that collects the crankcase breather drooling. Common to be the only tube that requires draining.
Next time you have the tank off replace the hose with a longer section (buy hose from fish tank store) and zip tie to other hoses near left footpeg. Then you only need to drain it when there is 6" of oil in it, and it's much easier to access with the longer length.
A picture for clarity.
Correction - I zip-tied the extended drain hose to the alternator wires - not to the existing vent / drain hoses near left footpeg.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Perfectly normal draining that tube this side too.. Tube is getting a bit darker now & more difficult to see where the level is.. Deffo needs a longer tube especially on the DCT which is more difficult to access as I remember.. Have to take out my toolbox holder to comfortably work on that tube without damaging it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts