Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo is over-reading by almost 10% which is twice as bad as the NC 750 I have just parted with. However the Honda mpg calculator is too pessimistic. It said I was getting 54.3mpg (imperial) when in fact I was getting 56.7mpg, which I'm quite pleased with.
Mike

·
Registered
256 Posts
Makes me feel better, I was out the other day and mine was reading just over 100mph! Now I have an excuse if I get stopped for speeding!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Makes me feel better, I was out the other day and mine was reading just over 100mph! Now I have an excuse if I get stopped for speeding!
I know here in Canada the speedo's are out by a good margin, mine is out by almost 10 kmh ,but I have read several American posters on the web stating that there speedo's are dead on accurate,so be careful your excuse may not be valid .

·
Registered
295 Posts
I see there is a Speedo Healer available so you can adjust recalibrate for a more accurate reading. Obviously it's not just the speed but the trip that ends up showing more miles than you have actually travelled. Don't know if I could be fussed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see there is a Speedo Healer available so you can adjust recalibrate for a more accurate reading. Obviously it's not just the speed but the trip that ends up showing more miles than you have actually travelled. Don't know if I could be fussed.
I don't think that's necessarily so PJ. My NC750 odometer was spot on and if the trip meter is driven from that then it could be accurate. AFAIK the odometer accuracy is regulated by law and I guess the speedo just must not under-read or the manufacturers would get sued by angry owners ticketed for speeding.
Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had never given it any thought until I read it on the speedo healer site. I would assume they have checked it out. The U.K. Con and use regs allow I think up to 10% speedo error and one would assume that may carry through to the odometer history.

·
Registered
504 Posts
After a couple months of comparing speedo and GPS, my speedo reads 10% high linearly. 60 kmh indicated is 54, 110 indicated is 99.

But the odometer is spot on - on multiple trips the ODO and GPS matched; the last 2500km trip they were within 5km.

I'm running stock gearing with TKC80s.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In another thread I was suggesting that Honda (like some car manufcaturers could offer dealer settable options - such as setting S mode as the default. Maybe speedo (and outside air temp) recalibration could be options too.
I heard somewhere that manufacurers are allowed to fit speedos with up to 10% over-reading. Mine is slightly under - I would guess it's 9%
Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Newby,Pete Fairbairn

We have a AF DCT on loan for 4days from Craigs Honda who we had 2 CT DCTs over last 5yrs,I need lighter lower bike for age and health issues.Can anyone help with a few questions on AF,what is it like loaded 2 up 3 boxs, Power, brakes, suspension, and can you get a decent luggage system as the Honda ones seem useless to me for for our touring needs.We had a V Strom in 2007 and AF feels similar to me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pete, you might want to start a new thread, or mostly search this question as it seems a tad off topic.
I will offer some help.
Which Strom was it? I love my WeeStrom and would have gotten a newer Vee as I hear the old issues are fixed, but the AT caught my eye and that was that.
I always found my Wee very nimble after first getting used to the higher seat height from my sport bikes, but I never loaded it up with luggage.
My first trip two up with one bag on the rear luggage rack, the AT felt very top heavy, more than I've experienced. My girl is not heavy and I had to ask her not to move around so much while stopped, (never said that to a passenger before).
The Twin is an amazing machine and I'm very happy, but if you don't need the off road capability, considering what you've written, you might check other touring or road bikes with a lower center of gravity. The Twin can indeed handle some extreme terrain in the right hands which seems to inspire many here to ride a wee bit beyond our experience level ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Could the moderator please move the last two posts to the General discussion or Lounge forums.

This thread is about speedometer and MPG

·
Registered
52 Posts
After a couple months of comparing speedo and GPS, my speedo reads 10% high linearly. 60 kmh indicated is 54, 110 indicated is 99.

But the odometer is spot on - on multiple trips the ODO and GPS matched; the last 2500km trip they were within 5km.

I'm running stock gearing with TKC80s.
Same here with my Canadian model, stock gearing and stock tires. I just installed a speedo healer and with it set to -9.0% the dash reads the same as my Garmin GPS I leave it set at -8.0% which puts the dash at one to two kph over GPS speed. I have not checked the odometer yet.

I was riding with a few other guys in the US earlier this year and had the display set to mph every small town we rode through we know to slow down to the speed limit as the local law enforcement is always running speed traps where the speed drops entering a town I would have 25, 35 or 45mph shown on the dash yet the group were always pulling away. I rode next to a few guys and noted their indicated speeds were always lower than mine that's when I got the GPS out and noticed the lower actual vs indicated speeds I expect some margin of error but almost 10% seems too excessive to me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The speedo healer sounds like a nice fix, but I've read one has to disassemble the bike to the point of pulling throttle bodies to get at the wiring.

Did you go through all that or have you found another way?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The speedo healer sounds like a nice fix, but I've read one has to disassemble the bike to the point of pulling throttle bodies to get at the wiring.

Did you go through all that or have you found another way?
It's a PITA to get access to the speed sensor connector if you follow the shop manual you end up bouncing around about eight different sections to remove all the necessary pieces as the bike gets smaller and smaller. I followed the manual to a point where the battery box was loose enough that I could pry it up slightly and use a long thin screw driver to release the speed sensor electrical connector. I removed the battery, side fairings, gas tank, ECU and misc hoses and plumbing on top of the battery box then I was able to pry the battery box up and get access to the connector. I did not remove the throttle bodies or intake took about three hours start to finish. The speedo healer wiring is long enough to reach under the seat where I mounted the control unit. SH-H05 is the correct wiring harness for a manual transmission model.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It's a PITA to get access to the speed sensor connector if you follow the shop manual you end up bouncing around about eight different sections to remove all the necessary pieces as the bike gets smaller and smaller. I followed the manual to a point where the battery box was loose enough that I could pry it up slightly and use a long thin screw driver to release the speed sensor electrical connector. I removed the battery, side fairings, gas tank, ECU and misc hoses and plumbing on top of the battery box then I was able to pry the battery box up and get access to the connector. I did not remove the throttle bodies or intake took about three hours start to finish. The speedo healer wiring is long enough to reach under the seat where I mounted the control unit. SH-H05 is the correct wiring harness for a manual transmission model.
I did the same thing. I am running 15/44 final gearing because the bike performs so much better, on and off the road. The speedo, odometer and trip computer were useless. It was a PITA but worth having the speedo now calibrated better than stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same here with my Canadian model, stock gearing and stock tires. I just installed a speedo healer and with it set to -9.0% the dash reads the same as my Garmin GPS I leave it set at -8.0% which puts the dash at one to two kph over GPS speed. I have not checked the odometer yet.
I suspect that if you check it against the GPS, you will see -8.0% registered distance as the odometer does not typically over-read as the speedo. I would be grateful if you could report on this when you have checked it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just got my 2017 AT DCT in California. It's got the original tires and only 80 mi on the odometer.

I checked my speedometer vs GPS using the Android app "GPS Speedometer and Odometer" by COOL NIKS (4.8 stars, rated highly for being accurate, but I haven't verified it).

Here are my results going a constant speed (the GPS lagged behind the speedometer during acceleration/deceleration):
<30 mph, no difference
30-45 mph, speedometer +1 vs. GPS
45-60 mph, speedometer +1 to 2 vs. GPS
60-80 mph, speedometer +2 vs. GPS

So with new, stock tires, my U.S. AT seems to be off only 2-3%. I suppose it will get worse as the tires wear down. But I'm happy that it's as close as it is. Now I don't have to constantly be calculating my true speed or spend $100 on a Speedohealer (which, as far as I can tell, they don't even make for the DCT model).

In another forum, the UK models seemed to be about 10% too high but the U.S. models were only a few mph off like mine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2017 manual, in the US. My speedo was not off by that much. Maybe 5%, at most. It was definitely better than my v-stroms (which were about 7-8% over).
When I put on a 140/80 rear tire, it became just about spot on with the Garmin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts