Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i'm new :) Here from Quebec, Canada i don't know what is the best to choose between OEM from Honda or Aftermarket like SW Motech crash bar lower and upper any advice or suggestion 馃榾

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Forum @Evil Wrong.

The Forum is very rich in crash bar opinions. The "Search Community" widget (somewhere near the top) is a great way to start mining and harvesting your own answer.

Opinions are strong, varied, with earnest, emotion, conviction. Ultimately, the decision falls upon you. Choose the best answer that fits your need, as long as the bars are from AltRider.

Also, feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

Registered

Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
Hello i'm new :) Here from Quebec, Canada i don't know what is the best to choose between OEM from Honda or Aftermarket like SW Motech crash bar lower and upper any advice or suggestion 馃榾
Hi Evil Wrong, welcome. I put SW Motech lowers on my 2020 ATAS ES DCT. Before I ever rode the bike after installing them, like the next day, I dropped the bike on the left side, and the crash bar bent in and even dented the fuel tank. So, no I would not recommend SW Motech. There is another set out there with great videos on how they test their crash bar on his bike. I believe they are Outback, or something similar. As DT suggested, use the search tool at the top.

Registered
What is best is dependent upon each person. Just do lots of research. Check the specs on the bars from the manufacturers website. Check out YouTube for crashes real or simulated. Look at the bar placement and try to imagine what would happen in a tip over, what about a tip over on a rocky trail. What is the leg protection like on a slow speed trail tip over, what about a high speed lowside?

Registered
I have the Givi top and bottom set. It has been down three times, fully loaded, once fully loaded with my wife attached and once fully loaded into the side of a fire engine. They didn't move and were still easy to remove and reinstall (uppers) after the third drop. Lower install requires removing the exhuast which is annoying.

Beyond that, they really should be considered a sacrificial piece if you ever go down really hard, so if a set breaks during a fall but your bike doesn't break, they did their job. If you drop it and they don't break, they may qualify for employee of the month and get to keep their job another day.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Givi top and bottom set. It has been down three times, fully loaded, once fully loaded with my wife attached and once fully loaded into the side of a fire engine. They didn't move and were still easy to remove and reinstall (uppers) after the third drop. Lower install requires removing the exhuast which is annoying.

Beyond that, they really should be considered a sacrificial piece if you ever go down really hard, so if a set breaks during a fall but your bike doesn't break, they did their job. If you drop it and they don't break, they may qualify for employee of the month and get to keep their job another day.
thanks did you install by your self ?

Registered
I crashed on mine at ~25-35 mph in the sand in Moab and the system didn't budge an inch. The bike ended up pointing the opposite way I was going. @Evil Wrong this is all SW-Motech, which I think you can get through Fortnine

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts