Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to add crash bars to my AT in the near future. I'm considering the Heed, Rockfox and Givi products. Would like to hear from members who installed these bars. Interested to know:
1. Happy with your choice
2. Would you buy them again
3. How easy or difficult was the installation

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had plans and like the concept for the givi but they are on 10 week back order so looking at options

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pleach 29. I considered the Givi but am considering Heed, Alt Rider and Rumbux. Would like to hear what you decide to install.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi There.

I went for Rockfox upper and lower bars and bash plate. Also have H&B Xplorer pannier frames. Also fitted the Barkbuster Storm guards. I have had silly fall overs to both left and right sides. Everything that needed to 'take a hit' did.

I am very happy with my setup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can we also have details from owners with crashbars fitted,which systems do not need to be removed to remove the bikes body work for service ect.
I myself are looking at various crashbars for my new AT but do not want to have to remove them each time I need to remove the bikes bodywork,as this is PITA just on its own without having to take crash bars off aswell.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can we also have details from owners with crashbars fitted,which systems do not need to be removed to remove the bikes body work for service ect.
I myself are looking at various crashbars for my new AT but do not want to have to remove them each time I need to remove the bikes bodywork,as this is PITA just on its own without having to take crash bars off aswell.
You may want to look at the SW Motech bars. I have them and here are some pluses.
Very affordable
look great
easy to install
well made

The only negative I find is it may not be as much coverage as you want.

I have tham and recommend them BUT I haven't tested them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You may want to look at the SW Motech bars. I have them and here are some pluses.
Very affordable
look great
easy to install
well made

The only negative I find is it may not be as much coverage as you want.

I have tham and recommend them BUT I haven't tested them.
Thanks for the reply,yes iv looked at SW Motech and the lack of coverage puts me off,saying that iv had there bars on other bikes in the past and been impressed,it just the lack of coverage on the AT is a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Iv just watched an install video on the Touratech engine bars and crash bars and noticed that the upper crash bars sit very close to the bodywork. Does anyone have a set of these that could confirm this,as I feel like if the bike went down them bars would make contact with the bodywork.
I'm looking at a set of these or the Altrider ones.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sent Outback an e-mail yesterday to see if they can be pre-ordered but unfortunately they can not.

I think they will be my choice in combination with the Outback crash bar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Iv just watched an install video on the Touratech engine bars and crash bars and noticed that the upper crash bars sit very close to the bodywork. Does anyone have a set of these that could confirm this,as I feel like if the bike went down them bars would make contact with the bodywork.
I'm looking at a set of these or the Altrider ones.

I was thinking the same about Touratech and OEM Honda, that the lack of a support point on the upper part, would mean that a strong enough hit would bend the bars, making contact with the fairing and damaging it anyway !

Because of this, prices and availability, i'd be more inclined towards the SW motech that to me wouldn't bend much.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking the same about Touratech and OEM Honda, that the lack of a support point on the upper part, would mean that a strong enough hit would bend the bars, making contact with the fairing and damaging it anyway !

Because of this, prices and availability, i'd be more inclined towards the SW motech that to me wouldn't bend much.

That issue has me looking at the RockFox as there is a support bar running forward to brace the upper bars.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I have give up with Touratech,it's a joke that there is no lead time on there lower engine bars,here in the UK they haven't even got the uppers in stock and can't tell me when the lowers will come.
Iv just placed my order for a full set of Altrider crash bars which should be here at the end of the month beginning of next.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That issue has me looking at the RockFox as there is a support bar running forward to brace the upper bars.
Honestly, it doesn't look that much better to me than the other high bars, I just ordered my SW Motech, as here in Switzerland it's really too expensive to get anything from the US or Australia... you guys are lucky !

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have givi top and bottom bars, they fit really well but untested! And i hope it stays that way, but i do think that all bars will probably bend a bit in a crash, but isn't that what they are made for!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have givi top and bottom bars, they fit really well but untested! And i hope it stays that way, but i do think that all bars will probably bend a bit in a crash, but isn't that what they are made for!
I looked at the Givi bars and really like the look of them and there well priced aswell,iv read that the dipstick is hard to remove and hits the engine bars when trying to remove.
Can you confirm this please!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts