Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I am looking for your help and opinions once again :smile2:

Especially after today (see pic below), I want to buy crash bars.
(in the near future I am also buying Barkbusters)

I think I have reduced my selection with these two:

Heed Basic:

PROS:
Best value
I like the looks

Cons:
Need to remove them for maintenance (air filter)

SW Motech:

Pros:
Still good value
Probably low weight in comparison

Cons:
A bit less coverage area maybe?

--

I know there are other options, and I don´t mind earing about them, but consider the price point before suggesting a full Alt rider set or the Outback Motortek

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Heed Bunkers are one of the best values out there. As I recall the ones for my ATAS were about $310 US delivered. Quality and fit is beyond reproach on the ones I received.

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
Aw, gee PM - AT Roadkill? :)

Like, how, wha?

At least the fairing landed on green.

I think I would gravitate toward the SW-Motech.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw, gee PM - AT Roadkill? :)

Like, how, wha?

At least the fairing landed on green.

I think I would gravitate toward the SW-Motech.
There is a large amount of gravel in that road, pretty deep, I was riding like on normal paved road, went for the corner normally, next thing I know the whole bike is sliding from under me, I give it a kick up with the foot on the ground, but it was too late, the rear was already trying to overtake me, Lucky me there was a soft landing spot.

Completely my fault, did not anticipated the deep path of gravel in the middle of the road..

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed Happy Trails crash bars. They worked perfectly in my only drop (slow speed) on a steep rocky gravel road. Only negative is the the crash bars need to be unbolted to access the battery and you loose the tiny OEM tool box. I installed a $20 Eklipes Bike-2-Bike Plug In Universal Battery Jumping Kit and routed the cables up under the seat. Now I have easy access to trickle charge, or jump start, my bike. The only time I need to unbolt the crash bars is for battery replacement. I also plan to buy a portable jump start battery for when I am riding by myself since my bike is a DCT and won't bump start.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,345 Posts
Good idea Newc regarding routing battery cables under the seat for convenient access.

PaceMaker: Post cleaning - the AT looks no worse for wear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went with outback motortech, I watched a compare of adv bikes and one of the first things that happened was the AT went down on a root and punt uttered the stator cover thus ending the day. I got paranoid and snooped up another video with same damage. I have a 2018 DCT and went looking for solid low down protection. My last bike was a Versys 1000 and had givi crash bars, instal was very precise, looked sharp, but in 3 years were covered in surface rust. Whatever you instal pays you back with one get off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Heed bars and skid plate. They were on the bike when I bought it. I was looking at some before I got the bike though..just cant find the link I had saved. showed the company owner actually pushing/dropping his bike over in gravel and roadway.
I have yet to drop it...but I have only ridden it 3 miles with the weather I have here in snowy ND.

Still looking into what "bark buster" to use.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I went with outback motortech, I watched a compare of adv bikes and one of the first things that happened was the AT went down on a root and punt uttered the stator cover thus ending the day. I got paranoid and snooped up another video with same damage. I have a 2018 DCT and went looking for solid low down protection. My last bike was a Versys 1000 and had givi crash bars, instal was very precise, looked sharp, but in 3 years were covered in surface rust. Whatever you instal pays you back with one get off.

My wife and I also went with the Outback Motortech bars on our bikes. Solid protection and I like the looks compared to the wrap around the front bars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Altrider on all 3 ATs. I dropped my 17 probably 9-10 times in a year and a half. Most drops on the right side including one on a pavement after running over ice (broke the right foot peg known issue with 16-17). No damage whatsoever around the crash bars. However after all the falls the right side upper crash bar was .3 inch away from the fairing, probably still good for a few more drops.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
330 Posts
I went with Black Dog Cycle works https://blackdogcw.com/bikes/honda-africa-twin-crf-1000l/

Upper cash bars are Hepco-Becker, lower are from Black Dog (Last I heard from them the are in limited supply.)

The lower bars are great at keeping the motor off the ground.

I liked the BDCW bars and recently tried to order a set. (They would have been an easy fit with the BDCW crash plate that I installed.)

Unfortunately, when I called, they said they quit making them.?

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
577 Posts
Willy just installed a set of SW Motech bars on his 2016 ride. He likes the coverage, the fit and finish, and the solid engineering of the set. These are effective bars. Coupled with the big SW Motech skid plate, he has little concern for his motor in the event of a lay down.

+1 SW Motech!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts