Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my crash bar choices down to Givi, T-Rex Racing, and Alt Rider.

I like the Givis because, well, I just like Givi products but I've heard the don't fit as well as might be expected and you have to remove the exhaust to get them on (which might be true in all cases) and someone said the paint or powder coat is not that great.

I like the Alt Rider because they look the strongest, particularly the bottom bar, you can buy them in separate sections, and several colors.

I like the T-Rex because they have the slider on the side that looks like it would really save the bike in low speed get-offs.

Anyway, I would love to hear some opinions from riders who have actually used the ones I mentioned. :grin2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just called T-Rex and they don't have crash bars to fit the DCT yet. One down and two to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The T-Rex had some great intro prices. I ordered from Heed in Poland through Ebay. Check out some of the revews on Utube for Tigers and Bmw's. No reviews yet on AT's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The T-Rex had some great intro prices. I ordered from Heed in Poland through Ebay. Check out some of the revews on Utube for Tigers and Bmw's. No reviews yet on AT's.
I saw the Heed today on ebay and liked them. I especially liked the bags they sell with them. How is the fit and do you have to remove the exhaust to get them on? Can you change oil and filters (DCT has 2 oil filters) without removing the bars? Someone said you can't take the dipstick out with the Givi bars in place. That doesn't sound good. :surprise:

·
Registered
74 Posts
After looking over the pictures carefully (because there are no online instructions) I determined that no problem changing the filters. Not sure about the exhaust coming off to install, but it seems many brands have to do that. The oil filter is under the bash plate and the DCT filter is clear. I suspect that removing the side panels will be a different story though, so we will see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After looking over the pictures carefully (because there are no online instructions) I determined that no problem changing the filters. Not sure about the exhaust coming off to install, but it seems many brands have to do that. The oil filter is under the bash plate and the DCT filter is clear. I suspect that removing the side panels will be a different story though, so we will see.
The instructions don't mention having to take the exhaust off. Let's see if it can really be done without. While you're waiting for your packet from Poland, here are scans of mine (the paper version will surely get dirty during the installation, so good to have a backup).

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have give up waiting for Altrider to release there full system,so I have just fitted a full stainless system from Touratech,very easy to fit,took around 45mins and that was taking my time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted the "Alt-Rider" crash bars BUT they kept saying "next month"...."next month"....so continued to shop around. And I went with (just put on today) .............................. "Givi's"...upper and lowers. Really like the look of them and hope never to test them. LOL I sure like their coverage and with my SW Motech skid plate (which required extreme modification to fit with the bars) I now have excellent bash protection if I need it !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recieved the Heed bars from Poland today. Very quick delivery, like ten days, which really surprised me. They were well packaged with excellent finish and good quality hardware. They will be simple to install without lowering the exhaust. There are three support points on each side with the upper bars connected in the middle. I have to laugh, because I have to modify one of the mounts because I have an Altrider bash plate and a Honda foot shifter (DCT). So I had to cut off the left lower mount plate, shorten the bar about a half an inch because of the stack height of the other accessories and I will be back in business. I have been cutting and mocking it up getting ready to tack weld it and let my master welder son run a bead for me.

That is one thing I am finding out, is that one product doesn't necessarily work with another. There is no "list" of what works together, just try it and find out for yourself. Oh well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fortunately for me, I started calling some of these manufacturers after I got my crashbar set (Touratech). I've typically always used altrider and really like their products but their crashbar set isn't even ready yet and I've got some off-road activities going on.

When I asked altrider about their bash plate and headlight guard working with my Touratech crashbars they told me flat-out their stuff will NOT work with any other brand. (sure, I can do some cutting and custom fitting, but I'm not paying big bucks for stuff I need to modify) Kinda bugs me as I don't particularly car for the way Touratech did their headlight guard and I don't like the mounting of their bashplate...

I'm already thinking of selling my crashbar set when altrider's becomes available....

·
Registered
74 Posts
So I mounted my Heed crashbars today. These would have been a 1 hour first time project except for the other accessories I added, such as the Honda foot shifter for the DCT and the Altrider bashplate. The Heed bars would be very easy to remove for any maintenance items in around 15 minutes or so if they were not combined with other accessories. There was no need to drop the exhaust for install.

So I had to modify the left foot bar mounting plate on the crash bar by cutting it off and removing about 1/2 inch of the bar to allow for the extra thickness of the DCT shifter mounting plate that replaced the skid plate mount along with the Altrider skidplate adapter and a 3/8 spacer to give clearance to the lip on the DCT shifter mount plate. So those extra parts added up to about 1/2 inch.

I cut the plate off the bar, shortened the bar tube and then remounted everything to check for fitment. Then I cleaned things up, removed the paint and welded the shortened bar to the mount plate while everything was mocked back up on the motorcycle. Pretty simple really but still required tools not in most garages. It required putting the bars on and off a couple of times.

I also had to cut on the Altrider plate to clearance it for the DCT foot shifter and also the left lower crashbar.

In summary I am pleased with the Heed product. Reasonable price, nice quality and around ten days shipping after ordering on ebay. My mods were easy enough for me to accommodate the other accessories, but did require fabrication skills and tools. I just really mixed up the accessories in my own way, causing the need for modification. So if you have any accessory that uses the location of the factory bash plate mount on the left of the frame (like the Altrider plate) that pushes the mount outwards, the bars will need this modification.

So it was unknown to me how this would all work out when I ordered the bars. Just wanted to give a heads up of my impression of the bars and also the fab idea if others want to try it.

Here is a nice video (not mine) of the full bar set on youtube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That might explain why the T-Rex crash bars do not fit well on my DCT... hmmmm I did not see any notes that they would not fit, mounting points looked universal, but there are two issues, 1) contact with the bike near the engine corner 2) the distance between left and right is not the same and looks off center and off balance. I contacted them on Friday with some pictures, hope to hear back soon to see if they have a solution.

If I don't hear back I'll publish more details and look to sell them to someone who's got a standard clutch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ended up with AltRider bashplate + center stand extension, lower, upper and link crash bars.

Could NOT be happier. AltRider really really did their homework with these bars in terms of strength and fitment.

I realize the heed bars are much less expensive, but I don't regret my decision to buy the AltRider version.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought and installed the T-Rex bars on mine. They were ok on the installation, had to rewind the Utube video a couple times. The only thing I don't like about them........ They could have attached them at the head of the bike for more support. They look great! Will give more feedback after the trail.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts