Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

481 - 499 of 499 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
After seeing the Outback Motortek fitted to an AT in Portugal last year and most of us throwing our bikes at the scenery at every opportunity I went with their full set up. Got the skid plate, engine bars, lower and upper crash bars. Prepare for the worst and hopefully be pleasantly surprised when it happens. Customer service from Lorry at OM is excellent.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Prepare for the worst and hopefully be pleasantly surprised when it happens.
Too right Chris. I've seen so many videos of guys riding heavy ADV bikes fairly casually, slowly and going down pretty hard nonetheless. When that front tire starts sliding in the sloppy stuff...

Makes sense to have good protection if you're going off road, even if your not planning on anything too aggressive.

Yeah, I'll probably end up with a good full set of uppers and lowers. (Problem is, the options for the 2018 ATAS are still pretty limited from what I can tell; have to wait for all the manufacturers to catch up).

Gary

·
Registered
108 Posts
Soon to take delivery of my new 2017 DCT and have plans to add the Alt rider bars and skid plate in the hope that I will not need them. Then it will be time to re-enroll in the Jimmy Lewis riding school in Nevada for a refresher course on riding and cheat secrets on riding bigger bikes. I am coming off a Honda CRF 450x,

·
Registered
252 Posts
After seeing the Outback Motortek fitted to an AT in Portugal last year and most of us throwing our bikes at the scenery at every opportunity I went with their full set up. Got the skid plate, engine bars, lower and upper crash bars.
That's the same as what I have, I've very pleased with the bars. It is interesting removing the factory skid plate and putting on the OM one instead, such a huge difference in how much it covers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's the same as what I have, I've very pleased with the bars. It is interesting removing the factory skid plate and putting on the OM one instead, such a huge difference in how much it covers.
Yep over in Poland last year and went on an unplanned off road excursion I could hear rocks bouncing off the skid plate, very glad of the extra protection. The crash bars are also very handy to strap the bike down of the ferry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered the Heed Bunker Bars off of Ebay..Shipped from Poland to Maryland.....9 days..may install tomorrow......very well packaged

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heed

Glad I went with the Heed Bunker bars for my AT...9 days shipping from Poland to Maryland (Bought on Ebay) Instructions are lacking, but found an ok video.....Very straight forward on what had to take place, but the actual install was a bit tricky as to get to some of the bolts is a bit difficult. Very happy as they appear to be a very well made bar and 1 doesnt break the bank!! Believe it was $305 which includes top and bottom..as it is 1 complete system.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Anyone have the Hepco & Becker engine guards?

Just curious if anyone has tried the Hepco & Becker Engine Guard -- lowers for Honda Africa Twin, esp. on the ATAS model?

It looks like just what I want. Allows me to leave the existing upper bars on my 2018 ATAS and in combo with a good set of Handlebar protection (Hepco & Becker makes what looks like a nice set) will give me good protection for off-road. The price doesn't seem bad either. And they have a cool-looking little bag that fits on the existing upper bars (right where the bike would possibly make contact in a drop--could only further help (as long as you're not carrying anything fragile in there)).

I figure that with something like these engine guard lowers + the handlebar protectors + a good set of rugged panniers and I'll be in good shape for the occasional fall-over or tip-over.

I'd love to see pics if anyone has them installed.

Or your thoughts in general.

Thanks, Gary

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I Just ordered the OutbackMotertek upper and lower crash bars for the 2018 AT AS DCT. Would anyone know if they are compatible with the OEM skid plate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, question for HEED bunker crashbars owners.

How much time it takes to remove crashbars?
I believe there is no other way to get to air filters and etc. under the fairing.

Does anyone have installation instructions?

Thank you

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello, question for HEED bunker crashbars owners.

How much time it takes to remove crashbars?
I believe there is no other way to get to air filters and etc. under the fairing.

Does anyone have installation instructions?

Thank you
I have them on my 2018 DCT. It is slightly a pain to remove them. Mine didn't quite line up between the 2 sides so they fit pretty tight (not misaligned enough for a return). The biggest time-suck for me is reaching my giant fingers around the exhaust and radiator hoses for the front frame bolts. Even so, It only takes about 15 minutes. If the 2 sides lined up better, maybe 10. If I had smaller hands, even less time.
I don't have the instructions anymore. They sucked anyway and I ended up watching youtube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Michael Pollard, thank you for the reply.
You confirmed my doubts about aligning 2 sides because of big one-piece constructions.
Now choosing between Outback Motortek (full set: engine guards, lower and upper crashbars) and Heed bunker.
I can't find any replies about drops and crashes with Heed bunkers installed. But price is much lower than Motorteks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You confirmed my doubts about aligning 2 sides because of big one-piece constructions.
Now choosing between Outback Motortek (full set: engine guards, lower and upper crashbars) and Heed bunker.
I can't find any replies about drops and crashes with Heed bunkers installed. But price is much lower than Motorteks.
Yeah, I was trying to decide between the two myself. So far, I'm glad I got the HEED. I have not dropped my bike yet, but they feel extremely solid. I don't have any flex at all when I pull on them. The misalignment wasn't a huge deal, I just had to get creative to line the 2 sides up using a ratchet strap to put the front bolt in. I'm wondering if they just got banged around during shipping or something. Still very happy for what I got for the price. I don't feel like I paid for a name. If I didn't get these, I would have purchased the OM bars and plate.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I also checked the HEEDs but it seems to me that you need to remove the whole system just to take out the fairings for service (i.e air filter, valve check etc). This was a tottaly "no-go" for me.

With the OMs on the other hand, you can remove the fairings with the engine/lower combo in place. If the top ones are also installed, they are removed simply though 10 very easily accesible bolts.

.... and of course, there are sooo many videos in youtube proving what those guys built.... :smile2:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also checked the HEEDs but it seems to me that you need to remove the whole system just to take out the fairings for service (i.e air filter, valve check etc). This was a tottaly "no-go" for me.

With the OMs on the other hand, you can remove the fairings with the engine/lower combo in place. If the top ones are also installed, they are removed simply though 10 very easily accesible bolts.

.... and of course, there are sooo many videos in youtube proving what those guys built.... :smile2:
Those videos are impressive indeed. I think the tipping point for me was the price. I can get comparable COVERAGE with the HEED's for $300 instead of the $700+ for the OM's. Now, I have yet to find a video of someone tipping their bike over with the HEED system, but they feel pretty good to me. I also don't ride a ton of gnarly offroad stuff where I anticipate putting the bike down a bunch of times. If that were the case, I probably would have spent more for a proven system. At the price point for the HEED's, and with my riding style, I'm perfectly fine if I have to replace them after a hard crash. I like riding fire roads where loose gravel and sticks are my main challenge.

It would be nice to not have to remove the bars for servicing, but it honestly doesn't bother me enough to regret the purchase.

One thing to note, though, is that the mounting point on the bike's left side will limit some of the bash plate choices.

481 - 499 of 499 Posts