Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my AT. Falling will be part of riding. And with so many options it very difficult to choose!
So, what is the best bar to get? (And keep it $ in budget)

THANKS.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are several other threads on this topic with lots of information. If you use the search function, you should be able to find them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ouri. There is no clear answer on best crashbars, you're just going to get endless opinions. All have their advantages and disadvantages to weigh. FWIW I went with Outback Motortek mid bars + lower bars + skidplate and I'm happy with the setup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've actually crash tested the Happy Trail crash bars and quite happy with the protection they provided. I like their simplicity and just a bit less weight on the bike to be picking back up. Picture shows the damage they sustained and not a thing on them bent and it was not just a drop, but actual low side crash at about 30 mph. As mentioned above there are a lot of choices and will be a lot of opinions, but when I buy a quality product that does what it is supposed to do I like to give word of mouth promotion to the manufacturer.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the Rumbux crash bars. The advantages are that you have upper and lower crash bars, with a very sturdy bash plate for engine protection incorporated in one.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I went with the Touratech bars as they are low and forward and easy to mount highway pegs. If you crash hard enough you'll bend any bars. I don't crash often and a low speed letdown won't hurt anything as far as I'm concerned. Any crash hard enough to bend crash bars will probably bend me. I don't bother to carry a first aid kit on my bike because if I hit a moose at 100 kph a tube of neosporin won't do me any good.

NC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all,

I never see any comments regarding the OEM crash bars. I'd imagine they are expensive, but I'd like to think since they are factory built they'd be among the best (though it sounds like thats not true with the OEM panniers). I've got my eye on the new Africa Twin Adventure Sports and it comes with them stock, so I am curious if they'll do the trick or I need to look at an aftermarket set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Riggwelter: I fell on the right side of my AT AS DCT and the OEM bar broke the fairing (cowling) instead of protecting them. They are worthless, it is just a additional lights support only, any aftermarket crashbar is much better than the Honda OEM. and I am thinking the same goes for the OEM skidplate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello all,

I never see any comments regarding the OEM crash bars. I'd imagine they are expensive, but I'd like to think since they are factory built they'd be among the best (though it sounds like thats not true with the OEM panniers). I've got my eye on the new Africa Twin Adventure Sports and it comes with them stock, so I am curious if they'll do the trick or I need to look at an aftermarket set.
I've read several comments about the OEM Light Bars and the consensus seems to be that they aren't worth much in a rolling tip over, but are fine for minor protection. If you have serious of-roading aspirations, then you will probably want to plunk down some dough for aftermarket crash bars/engine guards/skid plate. That's probably why I will go for the Standard version and save the $1500 difference to spend of more robust protection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello all,

The OEM bars are not crash bars. They are rubber mounted. My first serious off road outing I have a very slow speed tip over and the OEM bars flexed into my fairing resulting in a marred cracked fairing. They also offered virtually no engine protection either as I have scraps and gouges on my oil filter cover and side of engine. I’m looking at aftermarket crash bars and a heavier skid plate. The stock stuff is worthless in a off road crash.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've installed the Heed crash bars, had one off on the right side and no damage to the bike at all. The bars were scuffed, but a quick touch up with some semi-gloss black paint, and you can't tell the bars have touched the ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just purchased a new AT and went with the Happy Trails crash bar and skid plate. I have used their products in the past and have been to their facility in Boise, Idaho - USA. They use what they manufacture and live in an area with really challenging riding ranging from sandy desert to very technical mountain trails. Their products are STURDY and well designed without going overboard with too much weight. I paid $505 for the skid plate and crash bar combination. Shipping is free in the lower 48 USA and no tax for buyers outside of Idaho. Haven't tested on my new AT yet but I trust waldopepper66 told us the truth in his real world 30 mph crash test with totally acceptable damage as shown in his attached photo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all,

I just wanted to follow up on this thread and say that I bought the ATAS and I dropped it (as in almost stopped and tipped over, not a crash at any speed), and the OEM light bars DID NOT protect the plastic from damage. I was lucky that the plastic did not break but the finish is marred a little bit. :(

I usually prefer OEM to all aftermarket parts for several reasons, but the fact that they did not protect the bike was a letdown. Having said that Honda does indeed call them "Light bars" and not crash bars.

Furthermore, my friend bought and mounted Alt Rider crash bars on his standard AT and has dropped his bike several times. The bars have taken a bit of a beating but are still strong and his bike has no damage.

Just wanted to share.

·
Registered
76 Posts
UPDATE Dealer build photos below where they are installing bunch of accessories. I got a screaming deal ($11,100 dollars before tax but including all dealer cost) and I am using the savings to have the dealer install a bunch of accessories before I pick it up next week. At 68 I don't ride the extreme offroad that characterized my earlier days but I still get out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Have you had any crash yet? It looks to me that the protection is ok on an even surface but the upper part of the bike is really exposed. Or am I wrong?
i have dropped my bike 20 times in the dirt and 1 time on pavement. what akso helps is that i got the Hepco & Becker hand guards which reinforce the handlebar.

i will post some pics tomorrow.

cheers!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts