Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed a few more run in miles on my bike yesterday, had the low fuel light appear and the red flashing block on the gauge with the range to empty showing 51 miles. I refuelled with the range to empty showing 34 miles, bike on centre stand brimmed to the top took 17.55 litres, spec shows it’s a 18.8 l tank I don’t think 1.25 l is going to keep me going for another 34 miles. What’s your experience of the accuracy of the range to empty indicator.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Managed a few more run in miles on my bike yesterday, had the low fuel light appear and the red flashing block on the gauge with the range to empty showing 51 miles. I refuelled with the range to empty showing 34 miles, bike on centre stand brimmed to the top took 17.55 litres, spec shows it’s a 18.8 l tank I don’t think 1.25 l is going to keep me going for another 34 miles. What’s your experience of the accuracy of the range to empty indicator.
You will find DTE varies from bike to bike and ride to ride. Trying to make it to the pumps at reduced throttle in D mode will produce very different numbers than flogging it in S3 to get there faster and pushing to the pump. 34 miles with 1.25 litres may be possible under ideal conditions. It sounds a little optimistic. It is nice to have an accurate DTE. Since this number can vary widely it might be better to look at fuel quantity indicated as compared to actual fuel quantity on board. A few more fill ups will give you a better idea. If you are going to push really close to empty, having a container with extra fuel would be handy. As lovely as the AT is she is not 5'9" and 125 pounds. Given the choice of push or ride, the latter is much more appealing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
On the previous 1000cc model (not AS), I have found both bikes are very good at putting the light on at 50 miles, however when the bike realises there isn't 50 miles left in the tank, it quickly starts readjusting, often by 2 or 3 miles for every mile you travel. This is partly I guess because mechanical levers and floats can only be roughly accurate but there is also another reason. If I have been riding on 50mph roads when the light comes on, but then I go onto 70-80mph roads the remaining fuel is truly not enough to do 50 miles at the higher fuel consumption.
I am quite surprised that the bike was running fine with 1.25 litres in .... good to know. By the way, most of us regard a full tank as being where the fuel is just lapping the metal that is visible about 50mm down from the filler cap. 'Brimmed to the top' sounds like it might be higher than that, and might mean you had more fuel left than you thought?
Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'Brimmed to the top' sounds like it might be higher than that, and might mean you had more fuel left than you thought?

Good point bike on centre stand and filled above the plate.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
'Brimmed to the top' sounds like it might be higher than that, and might mean you had more fuel left than you thought?

Good point bike on centre stand and filled above the plate.
I think if you fill it above the plate the excess just gets vented out of some kind of overflow pipe.
By the way I did the test of filling it to the plate on the centre stand, and on the side-stand. It was about half a litre less on the side stand. ie I could squeeze in another half litre if I filled it on the centre stand
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a very interesting topic as I've been wondering the same thing. I think the reserve light uses an algorithm based on fuel left and the average consumption on the current tank. When I've been riding a little more throttle happy or in the city, I average around 7L/100km (or 34mpg), and the reserve light seems to come on very soon, but goes off and on intermittently with around 70km DTE. Last couple (mostly highway) longer rides I averaged 4.6L/100km (51mpg) and it was showing 100-120km DTE on my dash. And I fill up on the centre stand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts