Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
374 Posts
Is the right side of the bike heavier due to the exhaust system. Or is the balance determined by the chain and rear sprocket opposite the muffler. I don’t have much experience with this issue. Gold Wings always had a drive shaft and dual exhaust. I thought all of them pulled to the right when coasting. I always thought it was just me being off kilt a bit, and I always have been off center.

· Registered
44 Posts
Coming back to the original post,
I bought my CRF1100L Adventure Sports in October 2020. And have done 10500kms this far.

I have always had the issue of the bike pulling to the right when I take my hands off the steering.
I've tested different road surfaces, different speeds, strong sides winds from all directions.
I've re-aligned my rear wheel numerous times (basically every 2 000kms (when doing a full chain maintenance).
And I've had the front tire balanced twice already. (I remove & re-install the tire myself, so as to follow the exact procedure according to the Service Manual.

But the bike still pulls to the right.

What is the procedure to re-seat / re-align your front forks?

I would like to give that a try. If the doesn't work, then I'll replace the OEM Battleaxe.
I've never been super impressed with them anyway...

While on the topic of tires
: Your suggestion for good 100% road (only) tubeless tires?
I am new here and I only driven 700 km on my brand new Africa Twin AS ES DCT 1100, and already find it a worthy replacement for my BMW GS. I'll probably forget all about the BMW after my first off-road trip.
I now drive a lot of motorway to get the first service done. It does well there, but as soon as I take my hands off the handlebars to raise the screen a bit, the bike immediately pulls to the right.
Have already discussed this with the dealer, but they haven't found anything yet (probably didn’t do anything). Does anyone have this experience as well?

· Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
374 Posts
Coming back to the original post,
I bought my CRF1100L Adventure Sports in October 2020. And have done 10500kms this far.

I have always had the issue of the bike pulling to the right when I take my hands off the steering.
I've tested different road surfaces, different speeds, strong sides winds from all directions.
I've re-aligned my rear wheel numerous times (basically every 2 000kms (when doing a full chain maintenance).
And I've had the front tire balanced twice already. (I remove & re-install the tire myself, so as to follow the exact procedure according to the Service Manual.

But the bike still pulls to the right.

What is the procedure to re-seat / re-align your front forks?

I would like to give that a try. If the doesn't work, then I'll replace the OEM Battleaxe.
I've never been super impressed with them anyway...

While on the topic of tires: Your suggestion for good 100% road (only) tubeless tires?
I’m surprised yours came with the Battleaxe tires. Mine came with the Metzeler Karoo Street
70/30% Street/Dirt. Possible because of the different models. Mine is the AS ES DCT. Basically, the process is to leave the front axle pinch bolts a little loose, and bounce the front end up and down a couple times, obviously being careful not to knock the bike off the center stand, assuming you have one. If this is not the ideal method of doing it, I’m hoping those more experienced with the process will chime in. I will also apologize if my humor was not appreciated. I never take both of my hands off the handle bars, for this very reason. I’m serious that all my bikes travel to the right when I do. I have always been told that not all bikes do that, but if all of mine have then it is me. I’m not implying yours is the same case. I did my own tires and not until recently, seated there front axle as I described above.

· Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
915 Posts
I replaced my Bridgestone 41’s front for the mission tire, no longer pulls to the right. Don’t know if it was the tire or the front mount. 1000 mile road trip and tracks straight. Too soon to tell really as I have lots of gear on the bike.

· Registered
8 Posts
I just wanted to add, my 2021 AS ES DCT pulls to the right as well. I only noticed it yesterday when testing windscreen levels (something I shouldn't have been doing), it caught me off guard initially - just a slight pull to the right, nothing that would be noticed normally and can be stopped by resting a finger on the handlebar.

· Registered
44 Posts
Mine is also the AS ES DCT (2020). And as mentioned, it's always had a pulling to the right when I let go of the handles. I don't deliberately do it, it's only to check if my rear is aligned correctly after a chain service.

I did the front fork re-alignment today, as described on a YouTube video I saw. The only thing I didn't do, was to loosen the top stem nut by the top yoke. Actually I couldn't get the nut loose.
Anyway, I took the bike out this afternoon, and the pulling is way less. In fact, it's hardly noticeable.
What I did find however, at 80km/hr, the front vibrates quite bad. At 110km/hr it smooths out.

Once again, I believe the front tire has a major effect on the steering.

I definately want to replace the tires with 100% road / asphalt tires.
I was hoping to get pirelli scorpion, but I'm not sure I can get them here in South Africa (my sizes anyway)...
I don't know what else to consider.

If your bike doesn't set straight, I would suggest, making 100% sure your rear tire is aligned correctly. If that doesn't solve the problem, try re-aligning your front forks.
Hopefully that will help.

· Registered
7 Posts
Anyone get this solved or ask a dealer? I have a 21 I got last weekend and it’s doing this same thing I’ve owned several bikes and never experienced this. It’s not a slight veer to the right it’s I let off and bike dives to right. But as someone said just a finger on the bars keeps it upright. Thinking of going to dealer today and asking them to get their opinion.

· Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
915 Posts
I agree with the front tire set-up. I changed to a 50/50 tire and after installing it my pull is much better. Wind and road camber is all I notice now. I did measure the rear adjusters with a micrometer to verify the best I could, as long as the machining was done right.

· Registered
72 Posts
I spoke to my dealer and it was the first time they heard of it. I’ve tweaked rear wheel alignment, and it’s much better. It’s still there but much less now. Dealer will have a look at it when it’s in for a service next month but I’ve done a thousand miles on it as is.
They are a large dealer and this was the first time they had heard of it so I highlighted this thread to show it’s not just me.

· Registered
7 Posts
I went to dealer yesterday they confirmed same thing I was feeling. When I go in for first service going to have them look further. I get my center stand this week so might try a few things on my own first too with adjusting rear (which seems to be only .5 mm off right now). And maybe loosen front axel and bounce to try and realign that.

· Registered
461 Posts
Yep! I've seen too many instances where this step is skipped and the pinch bolts are tightened without pumping the forks.
I had said the above in this thread before and I'm saying it again. The bike steers to the right because your front forks are not aligned. The bike comes with the front tire off in the crate from Honda. The dealer has to install the front tire back on the bike and not all dealers will pump the front end a few times before tightening the right pinch bolts (when you're facing the bike).

Facing the bike, loosen the right pinch bolts. Straddle the bike, hold the front brakes and pump the front end a few times. Re-tighten the right pinch bolts to the right torque specifications. Your problems should disappear in most of the cases.

· Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately didn’t work for me. I am still at a loss measured rear and it appears to be fine too. Higher speeds it dives less than slow speeds but still take hands off bars it starts turning. Need to keep a finger of weight on it at all times.

· Registered
732 Posts
Definitely not having this experience with my unit. I've been riding hands free for stretches up to 50km on the empty northern roads on the trip I'm currently on due to some trapezius pain. The wind will push me around a bit, but otherwise it rides true, depsite being heavily loaded on 50/50s.

· Registered
7 Posts
Did anyone swap out tires yet? So I brought mine in. Dealer claimed there was a service bulletin on questions around this saying the bike is heavier on the right side. I just have never experienced this using cruise and not being able to go in a straight line unless I hang half my body off the left side. Everything is aligned properly. I’ve bounced shocks. Checked alignment on rear wheel. Other than tires. Not sure what else to try. I think I will be getting the extended warranty though…we

· Registered
3 Posts
The same problem as mine,AS DCT '22, I've tried everything that you said before, and I'm ready to sell it, I wonder if there is any Africa AS DCT that goes straight, or if there is anyone that has resolved the problem finally.
I live in Greece and no one dealer here can help me at all. (Sorry for my poor English)

· Registered
7 Posts
The same problem as mine,AS DCT '22, I've tried everything that you said before, and I'm ready to sell it, I wonder if there is any Africa AS DCT that goes straight, or if there is anyone that has resolved the problem finally. I live in Greece and no one dealer here can help me at all. (Sorry for my poor English)
still unresolved for me, I think I am going to buy some tubeless rims though this winter mines the base, not adventure sport. But I think that's just the way the bike is haven't seen any good answers here and have tried all of the ones that make sense, forks, chain/wheel alignment etc. I can set my butt to the left and get it to go straight, feels like a weight thing to me.

· Premium Member
2020 ATAS ES DCT
374 Posts
I put the Michelin Anakee Adventure tires on the front and back 5000+ miles ago. I was on a very level blacktop road with nearly zero crown. I let go of the handle bars slowly and was very pleasantly surprised, no pulling at all. For the first time I adjusted the wind screen while riding. I still believe it’s a combination of the fork alignment, rear tire alignment, tires, wind and road surface. If either of these are out just a little it’s going to adversely affect the handling.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts