Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just recently went on trip with My 2017 Africa Twin and after about 2hours in the saddle my butt was hurting . Just wondering if there is a company or mod I could do to my seat that would make it more comfortable. Thanks in advance. New to adventure touring.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,007 Posts
That my friend is one HUGE can of worms......

Basically 3 choices:
1.) After market - expensive but all good, unfortunately varies per individual and most have a favorite manufacturer (from past use)
2.) Re-foam - have a local upholstery cut back and replace the top layer of foam with something ( trail and error there too) but cheaper.
3.) Seat cushions - Aftermarket motorcycle and ATV seat cushions, trail and error there too but, for the most part, cheaper than the above two.

But in the end, it’s all personal and unfortunately it will be up to your butt and trial and error.

Reactions: Lowriderbud

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi, just recently went on trip with My 2017 Africa Twin and after about 2hours in the saddle my butt was hurting . Just wondering if there is a company or mod I could do to my seat that would make it more comfortable. Thanks in advance. New to adventure touring.
I've solved with a layer of wadding (polyester, I think) added by a local upholstery. They added it without removing any foam. It's a thin layer but enough to almost solve the problem. Only contraindication it seems to me the seat is a littler warmer than before. It costed to me €35, less than a tenth of a new seat (which anyway you aren't certain will solve your problem until you use it).

·
Registered
70 Posts
That my friend is one HUGE can of worms......

Basically 3 choices:
1.) After market - expensive but all good, unfortunately varies per individual and most have a favorite manufacturer (from past use)
2.) Re-foam - have a local upholstery cut back and replace the top layer of foam with something ( trail and error there too) but cheaper.
3.) Seat cushions - Aftermarket motorcycle and ATV seat cushions, trail and error there too but, for the most part, cheaper than the above two.

But in the end, it’s all personal and unfortunately it will be up to your butt and trial and error.
AT Dragon pretty much nailed it with this reply.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wooden beads or sheepskin. For really long rides, where you won't be riding in the rain - you can't beat sitting on sheepskin. For daily commuting or all weather - the beads are best (and cheap).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I ride a 2016 manual 52k with stock seat, my two riding buddies also on a AT with after market seats , are always complaining about their sore butts. In all my years of riding I’ve never found or heard of a perfect seat. ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try standing up and wiggling your butt a little, nothing gets the oncoming traffic to wake up then someone standing up on the bike coming at them.

The thought of spending $399 to $599 for a new seat that makes things worse. I will be trying the gel pad or the beads or the sheepskin first.
But standing up and letting some fresh air does do wonders.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Seats Concept Rally Seat. I'm 6'1", 200lbs. You height and weight is important when asking about seat, as the leg angle and weight will make a perfect seat for one rider painful for you. Just like the stock seat, some love it.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts