Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to dealer to buy parts for oil change. they sold me 2 oil filters. Did I miss something? service manual is showing filter for CRF1000D.. what is this? sorry for novice question? I think my dealer is whack... help please

·
Registered
55 Posts
I see no reason to take the bike to the dealer for routine PM except for the first one. 600 miles or whatever that is in clicks. Being the person I am I would even ask for a oil sample, sealed. But this is a Honda so we all expect the very best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
think I figured it out, DCT model takes 2 filters. if you have regular AT, only need 1 filter. Love seeing my local dealer so educated on this stuff. NOT!

·
Registered
76 Posts
think I figured it out, DCT model takes 2 filters. if you have regular AT, only need 1 filter. Love seeing my local dealer so educated on this stuff. NOT!
The first reply already answered your question ?
Read the manual first if you are that unfamiliar with the model you have and intend to service the bike yourself.
The dealer was on the money if you have a DCT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Les P, pretty sure in the English language you don't end a sentence with ? on a reply. But thanks, couldn't figure that out without your comment. The dealer was not on the money because I don't have a DCT.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You said CRF1000D in the first post so I guess the first answer was based on that but queried with a ?
The manual CRF1000L does have the one engine oil filter. ( I have a DCT or CRF1000D)

Its the internet so not all is straight forward as in written.
If you asked for an oil filter for a CRF1000D they would give you two, one for the engine and another smaller one to protect the servo piston in the DCT unit.
No big deal, working on your own bike is the way to go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Of course if you asked for a filter for a (manual) CRF1000L and they tried to sell you the two filters for a DCT your dealer might be off the pace a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my Africa Twin is a CRF1000L. But it is a DCT model. I thought the L model was supposed to be a manual? 2017.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
So my Africa Twin is a CRF1000L. But it is a DCT model. I thought the L model was supposed to be a manual? 2017.
The model "CRF1000L" is applicable to all models in all countries. To distinguish from AS, DCT and ABS brakes, characters "2", "D" and "A" are appended, respectively.

The final letter (e.g. "H") indicates model year, in this case: 2017.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts