Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for Honda Africa Twin adventure sport. I have been lusting this beast for over 6 months now . The newer CRF1100L has just launched today in my country. My local dealer is giving me a huge discount on the old stock brand new CRF1000L DCT ( almost 6K dollars price difference).

Does CRF1100L is a better bike compare to the predecessor ?

Does CRF1100L electronic display is better than the old version . This would be the major concern as I have to admit that i love the CRF1100L display much more.

Height and weight are not an issue since i can flat foot on both bikes.

let me know your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
Trips and touring the 1100
Around town commuting 1000

·
Registered
333 Posts
I guess the question is if you value the dash for 6K. I was very tempted to sell mine and go for the new ATAS1100, but, the only thing I really liked about the new 1100 was the dash. I do not like the new style of the bike, and frankly I do not really care for the extra 7 BHP; it is too low anyway compared to the competition.

Actually, I calculated my losses and it would cost me 6000K euros to swap my 2018 Atas with a 2020 one and put again all those extras I already have on mine. For me,a dash is NOT worth 6000K euros.

BTW, I do NOT commute in town with my ATAS, I only travel..... for me it works perfectly and I do not see how the 1100 would manage any better.

·
Super Moderator
701 Posts
Maybe the 1100 would be better for travel due to the cruise control? I had a bike with cruise control for 3 years and can count on one hand the number of times I used it for travel or otherwise. But it does have its fans who prefer it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe the 1100 would be better for travel due to the cruise control? I had a bike with cruise control for 3 years and can count on one hand the number of times I used it for travel or otherwise. But it does have its fans who prefer it.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Well, this is definitely of valid point, but for some 500 USD one can purchase the MCCruise cruise control which is a proven product.

·
Registered
304 Posts
First of all, you really need to test both of them. I tested the new 1100 and I have to say I like much more the seat (position and shape) of my current 2018 CRF1000L comparing to the new one. Then probably the electronic suspensions would be nice to have, like the inertial platform, but I'm really happy with my current bike and, like others said, to me the price difference does not justifies the upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
Yea, agreed...
Just try them both ( a couple of times) and go with the one YOU like. In the end, that’s all that really matters...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently wrestled with this same decision. Ultimately the decision was a financial one for me. However, I was already leaning towards 2019 model anyway. My riding abilities did not rise to the level of the 1100, not alone the 1000. Meaning, I would not appreciate the electronic suspension, TFT dash, etc... for my level of riding and type of riding.

I have owned top of the line motorcycles before and found myself shelling out more money on repairs. Could be just coincidence but when you pay premium it hurts to shell out the big money on repairs that don’t exist on other bikes. Hope this helps a little. Be honest with yourself in how your going to ride it and buy the one that makes the most sense financially and your riding style. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be honest the 1100 AS is for the people who like the GS kind of travel. Big comfy, very good onroad and not bad on fire roads sporting tubeless tyres and a great display etc. Sitting on it I just couldn't beleive how big the front is obstructing such a huge part of the road ahead. The new 1100 basic is more off road oriented with low screen, slimmer, less wind protection etc.

I believe the 2016-19 models are the best compromise as a real allrounder. Better for touring then the new 1100 base model and better for off road then the new 1100 electronic gizmo loaded AS.
So after my initial excitment I decided to keep mine and be very happy again as if I have just bought it now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market for Honda Africa Twin adventure sport. I have been lusting this beast for over 6 months now . The newer CRF1100L has just launched today in my country. My local dealer is giving me a huge discount on the old stock brand new CRF1000L DCT ( almost 6K dollars price difference).

Does CRF1100L is a better bike compare to the predecessor ?

Does CRF1100L electronic display is better than the old version . This would be the major concern as I have to admit that i love the CRF1100L display much more.

Height and weight are not an issue since i can flat foot on both bikes.

let me know your thoughts.
I was in the market for the Africa twin last year, August 2019 time. Only once I heard the rumors of a new 2020 model on the way I held off. Now a proud owner of an Adventure Sports DCT Electronic Suspension model, wow am I glad I did.
I would have still loved the old model, but always would have wondered regretted not getting the latest model. Call it even just the vain side of me wanting the latest gear; but now i have done nearly 1000 miles on the new bike, I can see the difference in power, handling, usability and of course looks. Even if its $6k cheaper, the resale will never be good, as everyone will want the 2020 version further down the line.
So if i was going to ride it hard off road all the time, I would have got the basic model and yes the pre-2020 one. But to ride out on weekends and the odd adventure, its not only gotta be a great bike its got to look the part too. And some days that means being the latest kid on the block too.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm test riding the 1100 tomorrow while Honda Newcastle put a diagnostic on my 2018 crf1000L DCT (Not a Sport). The current bike is brilliant and unlike the 2017 model I had, this one hasn't had a single warranty issue. However, the low speed jerkiness seems now worse to me. I did a 650 mile ride last week and some of it was through busy towns and at some places on the motorways I was in slow moving roadworks traffic - the bike was unpleasant in these circumstances but brilliant in every other way. If somehow they have cured that jerkiness in the 1100 engine, I will have a dilemma, because I understand that they have managed to get the seat height down on this Sport-framed new bike by reducing the seat padding and altering its shape. I can easily do 450 miles in a day on the current bike - anything that jeopardises that has to be worrying. And does anyone know if Madstad have screen hardware out yet for the 1100 bikes?
Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm test riding the 1100 tomorrow while Honda Newcastle put a diagnostic on my 2018 crf1000L DCT (Not a Sport). The current bike is brilliant and unlike the 2017 model I had, this one hasn't had a single warranty issue. However, the low speed jerkiness seems now worse to me. I did a 650 mile ride last week and some of it was through busy towns and at some places on the motorways I was in slow moving roadworks traffic - the bike was unpleasant in these circumstances but brilliant in every other way. If somehow they have cured that jerkiness in the 1100 engine, I will have a dilemma, because I understand that they have managed to get the seat height down on this Sport-framed new bike by reducing the seat padding and altering its shape. I can easily do 450 miles in a day on the current bike - anything that jeopardises that has to be worrying. And does anyone know if Madstad have screen hardware out yet for the 1100 bikes?
Mike
I think the fly by wire throttle has all but eliminated the jerky ride. Let me know how you get on, I am originally from the North East but now live on the south coast. I am planning a ride up north at the end of February to visit the parents and see how the bike handles on a 400mile run out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I rode a 2019 DCT Adventure Sports (the CRF1100 isn't out yet here in the States) and it was absolutely glorious. I can't imagine being disappointed with that, no matter what additional features are on the 2020. That said, I ended up pre-ordering the 1100, mostly because of the cumulative sum of all the little features (tubeless tires, the TFT, Car Play for navigation, the (gimicky) cornering lights, cruise control, the IMU being tied into the DCT*, the electronic suspension**).

But let me be clear: these were all things I could have lived without and ridden away very happily. I was lucky in that had the extra cash and decided to get the 2020. But the 2019 is incredible. My 2p is that if you're having to seriously ask yourself the question of the value, get the 2019 and use that extra 6K on mods (crash bars, luggage) and you'll still end up coming out ahead with an amazing bike on your hands.

*I did experience one mid-corner DCT shift on my test ride. It wasn't as bad as I'd heard it would be - things have improved much since 2016, it seems - but it does take some getting used to. I won't mind the bike not doing that in the middle of a corner (2020 feature).

**I will admit, this is mostly just a curiosity for me. I'm tempering my expectations quite a bit. I imagine you'll set it and forget it 99% of the time and it'll only start to be worthwhile that one time you go for a really rocky trail and would otherwise have dug out your toolkit to adjust your suspension before setting off.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think the fly by wire throttle has all but eliminated the jerky ride. Let me know how you get on, I am originally from the North East but now live on the south coast. I am planning a ride up north at the end of February to visit the parents and see how the bike handles on a 400mile run out.
My 2018 bike HAS fly by wire throttle (I registered it in March 2019 but it was a 2018 bike because I didn't like the colours of the 19 bike). I find the low speed jerkiness about the same as on the 2017 Crf1000L that I had. Not a big problem - just a minor irritation in slow and town traffic
Mike

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you need to reduce the so-called low speed jerkiness, simply set power level to 3.
You'd think wouldn;t you? but for me it doesn't make any difference. Mind, if the roads are dry the power level setting 1 is (for me) the biggest positive difference from the 2017 bike so I usually drive with the custom setting 1:3:6 (power level, engine braking(minimum), tc level 6 (almost maximum)
Mike

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
They found nowt wrong with my 2018 bike while I test rode the top of the range new 2020 bike with electronic suspension and cruise control.
First the things I loved - The cruise control is I think as well implemented as it can be on a bike, and I loved it. And the instrument display is beautiful (and also the software and options behind it).
I think the screen is an improvement over the standards screen on mine, BUT there's still a lot of peak vibration of you use one, and my Madstad almost completely removes this. (I tried the new bike with the screen in all 3 positions and nothing stopped the peak judder).
What didn't I like:
  • The engine feels rougher to me - more vibey - but since it was absolutely brand new, it might be better after a few hundred miles.
  • The suspension is worse. Despite having masses of damping adjustment on the fly, if you stiffen up the spring rate, that damping isn;t going to make a blind bit of difference. The bike crashes more over potholes and grates and that's even with it set on off-road which is the very softest suspension you can set.
  • The low revs problem is even worse. By their own confession to the dealership, Honda have had to strangulate this bike even more to meet the latest euro-regs. Don't get me wrong if you open the throttle it's lovely, but tootling in town traffic is a pain.
  • The seat - yes, great idea to make the leg length the same as my bike despite it having the frame and forks of the Sport model. But they have done it by making the seat thinner and narrower. After an hour I was beginning to feel it whereas I can do all day on my seat. I think the harder seat may also be contributing to the crashy feeling over fast bumps.
  • They haven't fixed the temperature guage - in fact it's worse and was telling me it was 10 degrees in newcastle when it was actually 4 degrees.
Still unsure about the panniers - the dealership reckoned my panniers wouldn't fit because the peg is at a different position, but when I compared the two bikes side by side it looked about the same to me. The cavities that take the lugs of the panniers looked slightly different shapes, but surely it would make sense to be able to use the existing pannier set considering the expensive investment people will have made.

.... so I dunno. Might order the bike without the suspension and maybe with the high seat but fit it in the low position. The low rev engine problem might be a killer for me, but the lovely cruise control might eventually swing it.
Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts