Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea, agreed...
Just try them both ( a couple of times) and go with the one YOU like. In the end, that’s all that really matters...
I use my ATAS for longer journeys & touring in The lumpy bits of mainland Europe. I was tempted by the 1100 not for the increased power, because the 1000 is plenty; but for the cruise control & tubeless tyres. Having said that, the amount of money to change is just far too much. I’ve put a Kaoko throttle stabiliser on my ATAS and purchased aluminium tyre levers & spare inner tubes. Just in case of a puncture up on the high mountain passes. Will hopefully have the seat sorted out soon & then I’ll be happy with the 1000 AT

·
Registered
788 Posts
I use my ATAS for longer journeys & touring in The lumpy bits of mainland Europe. I was tempted by the 1100 not for the increased power, because the 1000 is plenty; but for the cruise control & tubeless tyres. Having said that, the amount of money to change is just far too much. I’ve put a Kaoko throttle stabiliser on my ATAS and purchased aluminium tyre levers & spare inner tubes. Just in case of a puncture up on the high mountain passes. Will hopefully have the seat sorted out soon & then I’ll be happy with the 1000 AT
my opinion is that little extra power is normally not much, but with that said, a AT weighted down with luggage and or 2up, all of a sudden it becomes a much bigger asset. Even with that slight advantage , for most it really won’t be worth it, tho I guess IF all you did most of the year is tour around and travel. Then it would be a “no brainer” spending the $$$ and getting all the extra‘s.. One thing is for sure, all those “extras” really don’t add up to much when your commuting and sitting in traffic..... Well except maybe Apple car play..

·
Registered
13 Posts
my opinion is that little extra power is normally not much, but with that said, a AT weighted down with luggage and or 2up, all of a sudden it becomes a much bigger asset. Even with that slight advantage , for most it really won’t be worth it, tho I guess IF all you did most of the year is tour around and travel. Then it would be a “no brainer” spending the $$$ and getting all the extra‘s.. One thing is for sure, all those “extras” really don’t add up to much when your commuting and sitting in traffic..... Well except maybe Apple car play..
You're right. The missus doesn't come away with me on the bike anymore, so the power is just fine for solo trips. If she did I'd probably go for the 1100 ATAS or 1250 GS. I've had three GS's in the past & they're good bikes; it's just that everyone's got them!! I also find the balance & poise of the ATAS superior and on a bike with more character.

·
Registered
788 Posts
You're right. The missus doesn't come away with me on the bike anymore, so the power is just fine for solo trips. If she did I'd probably go for the 1100 ATAS or 1250 GS. I've had three GS's in the past & they're good bikes; it's just that everyone's got them!! I also find the balance & poise of the ATAS superior and on a bike with more character.
Yea, I will say the AT is a beautifully balanced bike (and totally agree with you on the looks), lol to well balanced, you tend to forget just how heavy the bike is and if you lean her over to far at a standstill and she’ll remind you with a vengeance, followed by her “taking a nap” but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Off road in deep ruts, it’s almost like they aren’t even there and a dream to ride..

·
Registered
103 Posts
As an AT lover I'm still undecided if and by how much the new model is a step forward. I paid £10,200 GBP for a new manual AT in March 2019. Looking at some of the new model pricing, I would have to make a judgement that other bikes in this higher price category were not worth a closer look, especially some of the shaft drive stuff (GS1250 etc).

·
Registered
359 Posts
As an AT lover I'm still undecided if and by how much the new model is a step forward. I paid £10,200 GBP for a new manual AT in March 2019. Looking at some of the new model pricing, I would have to make a judgement that other bikes in this higher price category were not worth a closer look, especially some of the shaft drive stuff (GS1250 etc).
Hmmm, shaft drive is hard to beat. IMHO, keep the 2019 AT.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts