Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word of warning for those that don't know yet , the under seat fairing and the side panels/radiator shrouds are made out of brittle cheap shite to save few cents as you do .
Make sure that you are careful when removing and installing them as they are very easy to damage . Mine have been damaged by the dealer and i have added to it today , nothing serious but it amazes me how could someone think that this is a good idea . and the "best" bit is the price of the replacement panels , shocking :surprise:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just a word of warning for those that don't know yet , the under seat fairing and the side panels/radiator shrouds are made out of brittle cheap shite to save few cents as you do .
Make sure that you are careful when removing and installing them as they are very easy to damage . Mine have been damaged by the dealer and i have added to it today , nothing serious but it amazes me how could someone think that this is a good idea . and the "best" bit is the price of the replacement panels , shocking :surprise:
Your dealer must be crap! had mine off and on no problems! a bit of product knowledge would be good!.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I agree that the plastics are brittle and a proper pain to get off. I am making a comparison with my former KTM 950. It had robust plastics that were held in position just as effectively as the Honda by a couple of small screws, and came off easily.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main problem for me as someone that worked in the " plastic industry " in the past is the type of compound they have decided to use , you will know what i am talking about when you drop the bike :frown2:

This bike its a great offroader IMO and it deserves proper thicker and more flexible outer plastics . Good crash bars are a must unless you are going to keep her looking pretty in the garage ... :wink2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm always amazed by how much fairings cost since they're just pieces of plastic and the quality seems to have gone down if Mad Frosty's AT scratches are anything to go by. Crash bars and any other protective mods are a must in these cases.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I confirm, they are a more "onroad bike plastics", not motocross, flexible plastic like the one that i had on my 990 ADV, plus mounting the front ones it's a bit tricky...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also note that the front fender plastics are in the same position as a street bike.

There is a report in another forum where an unfortunate fellow packed his front tire while riding through mud, and the front fender caught a knobbie on the front tire, and the fender completely broke off.

There was a compounding problem which likely led to the fender breaking away. The fellow reports that the mounting hardware for the front brake line was loose, and then fell out, and the brake line may have been deflecting the fender towards the tire.

This report:
http://www.africatwin.org/threads/dct-around-esperance-western-australia.456/

I do realize that Honda is following the other street ADV manufacturers in placement of the front fender with regards to the tire. But, it may not be high enough, away from the tire, should you enjoy true off road mud.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Some guys riding in my area have had the front tire lock up from mud building up on the tire. There is a front fender relocate for the KTM1190Rs that raises it up about an inch if I remember, to clear the mud. Not sure if such a thing is possible on the AT because of the way the brake lines are routed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts