Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I had a crash a few weeks ago which sadly bent the frame of my beloved CRF1000L (All the other parties fault). Not one to shy away from challenges I have decided that she's not dead to me yet! I bought the bike back off the insurance company.... The frame is knackered, front-wheel and fairings too but the forks appear to be fine (i'll have them checked though).

I have purchased a brand new frame from Honda and will be doing a total frame swap and turning the bike int a much more aggressive rally ready machine complete with rally front end and bodywork, a repainted frame, full exhaust system, filters, power commander and suspension upgrades to name a few....

I'll be starting the project very soon and wanted to see if there is an appetite for people to follow the journey, I've never done anything like this before apart from a bit of spannering so should be fun..... gulp...

I'm getting the necessary stands and tools in place and will start a series of videos soon.

I will definitely need some help along the way!!!

Cheers!!

Jay

·
Registered
377 Posts
Now this is a major and mostly difficult "journey" you are getting into. I wish you all the best. Unfortunately we are too far away to offer any help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow this will be fun. Please take and share loads of photos and what about using this opportunity to launch your YouTube channel and let us follow your journey. You never know when you might need to help that subscribers like me could assist! I would try and not let this become a chore, but take it steady and enjoy every minute. This project will teach you loads.

Large child + large toy = loads of fun!

Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep good luck with the build, and I also love pics and videos of this sort of thing so I will be watching!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Will be watching... good luck. Photos from all angles as you dissassemble will be your friends upon reassembly!

It won't be that hard, as long as you can keep a good supply of patience.

Good tools help (decent torque wrench, etc.)

You will be amazed at how much space you can take up with a fully dissasembled MC... have the space ready as you start.

Plenty of blue loctite for threads on reassembly.

Some sort of numbering system on small containers for fasteners would be a good plan. There are a lot of fasteners on these bikes and many of them look a like. The time it takes to organize them on dissasembly will pay back with intererest on reassembly.

A decent shop manual will be useful. The Honda factory one is about 500 pages and overkill, but kind of handy. It floats around on the internet from time to time, I hear.

I think you will have some big fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow this will be fun. Please take and share loads of photos and what about using this opportunity to launch your YouTube channel and let us follow your journey. You never know when you might need to help that subscribers like me could assist! I would try and not let this become a chore, but take it steady and enjoy every minute. This project will teach you loads.

Good luck.
Thanks Ray - I have started buying all the bits and the frame has nww arrived so will absolutely set up something on youtube so we can all poke fun at my mistakes!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rea
Will be watching... good luck. Photos from all angles as you dissassemble will be your friends upon reassembly!

You will be amazed at how much space you can take up with a fully dissasembled MC... have the space ready as you start.

Some sort of numbering system on small containers for fasteners would be a good plan. There are a lot of fasteners on these bikes and many of them look a like. The time it takes to organize them on dissasembly will pay back with intererest on reassembly.

A decent shop manual will be useful. The Honda factory one is about 500 pages and overkill, but kind of handy. It floats around on the internet from time to time, I hear.

Really great advice, thanks. You're absolutely right about the space so I've cleared it with the missus that the project can talk place in the spare bedroom as we. don't have a garage! The frame has now arrived from Honda and a few other things like a spider stand and various tools and then hopefully I'll be good to go. Will try to post some videos! Deciding on whether or not to have the frame powder coated as I'm going for the Rally Raid look!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hurry up Duoloco! while were drowning here in Blighty its the perfect time to get that you tube channel up and running, I could do with something decent to watch!!!!! whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hate to be a jinx but sure; that's something I'd like to see!
Never hurts to see things done. Hope you're having better weather than we are in Durham.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Good luck.
Now this is a major and mostly difficult "journey" you are getting into. I wish you all the best. Unfortunately we are too far away to offer any help.

Yessir! I have put a couple of video up so please feel free to check them out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Good luck.

You inspired me so here's a couple of videos up on youtube!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the comments, I had a few people mention making videos of the build so I did just that. Two videos up and more to come! the frame arrived just yesterday so looking forward to getting y hands on it out of the box!

Please let me know if you'd like to see more and i'll keep making vids :)

here we go;

Cheers guys, stay safe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Here's the channel sir! You were right about the space too... Jeeze!!

Bought the Haynes manual, what a life saver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all,

I had a crash a few weeks ago which sadly bent the frame of my beloved CRF1000L (All the other parties fault). Not one to shy away from challenges I have decided that she's not dead to me yet! I bought the bike back off the insurance company.... The frame is knackered, front-wheel and fairings too but the forks appear to be fine (i'll have them checked though).

I have purchased a brand new frame from Honda and will be doing a total frame swap and turning the bike int a much more aggressive rally ready machine complete with rally front end and bodywork, a repainted frame, full exhaust system, filters, power commander and suspension upgrades to name a few....

I'll be starting the project very soon and wanted to see if there is an appetite for people to follow the journey, I've never done anything like this before apart from a bit of spannering so should be fun..... gulp...

I'm getting the necessary stands and tools in place and will start a series of videos soon.

I will definitely need some help along the way!!!

Cheers!!

Jay
If you don't already have one, you should start a Youtube channel to post your journey!
And here it is! Poorly editied, but i have to learn somehow :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts