Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does everyone think Honda will price the CRF1000L? I'm thinking in the $9K to $11K bracket... but could be more... shouldn't be more though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where does everyone think Honda will price the CRF1000L? I'm thinking in the $9K to $11K bracket... but could be more... shouldn't be more though...
Hmm, good question. I'd love to think $9-11K but I think those numbers are low. I'm thinking $13,500 and up? The KTM1190 are in the low $16k and Honda is notorious for overpricing the first year bike. Just my .02.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think $12-$15K is the sweet spot. Undercut the Euros and stay near Yammy ST, Suzuki V-Storm

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm thinking it'll be more like $13k also. Add a few extras and it'll start to hurt a little. Nowhere near as much hurt as a BMW 1200GS though thats for sure!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm thinking it'll be more like $13k also. Add a few extras and it'll start to hurt a little. Nowhere near as much hurt as a BMW 1200GS though thats for sure!
Looking more into the details of it vs the Ducati, that price would place it just about right among the segment and enough to justify what we know so far the differences will be.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Honda wings mean it will command a premium pricing ;)

read on world.honda

The three-dimensional "Honda wing" emblem symbolizing the Honda brand is ... a common product mark imprinted on all of Honda's high-grade models

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't see it as a sub $10k bike. A NC700 stickers for $7,500. I'm not sure where I got this but it shows a base at $13,200usd. That is just based on the conversion rate so not really a clear picture of where American Honda will price it. A Vstrom 1000 with ABS stickers for $12,699. I would think it would be competitive with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't see it as a sub $10k bike. A NC700 stickers for $7,500. I'm not sure where I got this but it shows a base at $13,200usd. That is just based on the conversion rate so not really a clear picture of where American Honda will price it. A Vstrom 1000 with ABS stickers for $12,699. I would think it would be competitive with that.
The Africa Twin might not be sold as a sub $10K bike, but I believe that will be a market placement decision, not a function of production costs. If Honda chooses to, the base model MSRP could easily be $10K in the U.S. As you say, the NC700X MSRP is $7500 and IMO the CRF AT is more a glorified NC700 than a modern rendition of the 1990's XRV 750 AT. The similarities between the NC and CRF AT are so obvious they hardly need stating.

Both NC and AT frames are made of steel tubing, considerably cheaper than aluminum castings. Engines on both are parallel twins - fewer parts and much cheaper to build than a V twin. And the Unicam head on the AT they are so proud of for it's compactness, is altogether less costly than a dual overhead cam cylinder head..or two.

Where the NC and AT part ways is with the suspension bits and wheels. AT forks and brakes appear to be much better quality than NC parts so I expect they are a legitimate value added to the AT (even if they aren't Ohlins or Brembo sourced). The AT uses tube type wire spoke wheels. They are lighter than cast alloy wheels used on the NC and probably less expensive to build. They are certainly less costly than tubeless wire spoke wheels used on BMW GS and XR models (other European bikes too).

Because of the additional horsepower, some parts of the CRF AT need to be more robust than the NC, but they are both built, as they say, "to a price". And the base model AT is about as bare bones as a bike can be these days with no traction control or ABS and near as I can tell, no selectable engine power settings even. (Even the $8200 Yamaha FZ-09 has power settings.)

In all honesty, I can't see that the base model Africa Twin, if it's priced at $13,200 in the U.S., provides $5700 in added value over an NC700X. Furthermore, Honda might be smart enough to agree with that judgment. Honda's motorcycle marketing approach most recently, has been offering innovative features, excellent value and competitive prices aimed at bringing new riders into Honda's fold. We can only hope....

Bill

·
Registered
197 Posts
Visordown has an interesting article regarding pricing. http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/africa-twin-3350-cheaper-than-r1200gs/27982.html

Difficult to know what the relationship between Europe and US pricing is... IF we can figure out an average price delta between models on both continents we could probabaly come to within a grand of the AT's actual price ;)
I haven't had any luck with Google finding new motorcycle prices in Euros to compare with U.S. MSRP for the same models. But coincidently, yesterday I was watching a review of the Suzuki GSX-S1000F by a Brit who said it was priced at 9999 GBP (15609 USD) and the Kawasaki Z1000SS was 9699 GBP (14140 USD). In the U.S., GSX-S1000F MSRP is $11,000 and the Z1000ABS is $11,999 (not sure if the Z1000ABS is the same as Z1000SS but they both are ABS equipped).

Combining the US dollar prices of those bikes in Britain ($27,750) and MSRP's here ($23000), and taking the percentage (83%) we would pay here for those models -- and applying that percentage to the GBP equivalent of 12,100 euros (8550 GBP, $13350 USD) yields $11,065 as a possible MSRP for the base AT in the U.S.

More data points would give a better guestimate. In the end, pricing decisions probably have more to do with how much they think they can charge and still sell enough product at a profit than buyer fantasies.:frown2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts