Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey peeps - time to replace my air filters after some dusty fesh fesh roads - wondering, is the CRF1100 air filter element deeper than the CRF1000 filter in comparison? or is it the same Honda part number? I pulled the current ones out of my 1100 and they measure 104x118x34mm ; so does anybody have the correct part number for the CRF1100A filters? Cannot find any ref#'s for the sir filters in the owner's manual.

of concern, I can see tiny traces of fesh-fesh inside the main airbox FYI and looking carefully for the ingress route - the back/side foam seals on the OEM seem to be the fault. :O so think about your own bikes if riding in dust peeps

therefore - thinking about some oiled pre-filters and then tossing up between K&N, UniFilter or DNA's but very few listings for the 1100 atm - what's your experience peeps?

·
Registered
286 Posts
2020 AIR FILTER : 17210-MKS-E00
2016-2019 AIR FILTER ; 17210-MJP-G50

How many miles on that filter? I'd definitely consider a pre-filter if I rode in dusty conditions and in groups. For my use, I've been happy with the oem on my 1000, though I ride 99% solo. I've heard some guys happy with the twin air.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks Amphib - peeps i'd recommend you consider applying a decent amount of grease/filter oil to the OEM 4mm filter rim-lip-seals (before inserting the filters)
my question - are they the same part # as the CRF1000?

·
Registered
286 Posts
thanks Amphib - peeps could probably apply a decent amount of grease to the 4mm filter rim-lip-seals and use OEM ones, btw

but still my question - are they the same part # as the CRF1000?
No, different part numbers. See above.

Today I could dig out my old ones and measure for you. I'm not very experimental with these things, but I'm sure some other guys are here and might offer some better suggestions.

I pulled mine at 16000 miles and were barely dirty, I probably could have reused them. I don't see much dust here tho and rarely am following anyone off pavement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OK the difference between CRF1100 vs CRF1000 air filters is the position of the 2xbolt-holes. The filters for the 2020-CRF1100 (17210-MKS-E00) are at the front of each filter (when in bike) ; whereas the screw holes for the previous CRF1000 model air filter (17210-MJP-G50) are on the top/bottom of the filter body (when mounted in the bike). Not the same physically, there is also a ramp on the ridge for the new 1100 model at the rear to help slide the lid-cover in. In an emergency in a far away country, and somebody ships you the wrong part, it's workable, but you would put some bigger washers on the 2 front screws to use an 1000 filter in a 1100, making sure the filter was 100% sealed/seated. However the 1100 design only bolts/compresses the front down, and relies on the lid-cover to seat the rear... and that's also problematic when extracting the lid-covers as they catch on the rear of the filters, even with the correct OEM 1100 filters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OEM filter - photo shows inside the CRF1100 airbox using Honda OEM filters in Australia 2500km from new. the particles are very very small like 10 microns or so - If you own a CRF1100 your filter is the same as mine... I noted that the rims of my factory installed filters had no oil in seals/rim (were dry foam). I have now added oil to the rim-foam (motorex 206 filter oil) and also added Unifilter pre-filters. The bike runs the same with the prefilters (power wise) afict

1 - 11 of 11 Posts