Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a CFR1100 noticed that the settings has a GPS signal monitor? The bike seems to have a GPS chip in it, but currently no nav software. Perhaps some future-proofing for an update? And no, CarPlay was not connected at the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not sure what it all does but I do know that the clock updated automatically with the recent time change. On the day after the time change (day light savings), it had the wrong time when I started it. Shortly after, it corrected to the right time without me doing anything. I assumed it was done from the GPS signal.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
Yes that is correct that is what I yesterday posted here also. In the manual is also written that it sends data to Honda. It will not surprice me that it is prepared for nav. Only they don,t know which one they will use. The version which is used in the Goldwin is probably not what Onwers expected. So if Honda is smart they go for openmaps and use Scenic or River as oem soultion

·
Registered
174 Posts
Big brother is proud and watching this great new 2020 bike, whether we need it or not, lol!

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I'm not sure what it all does but I do know that the clock updated automatically with the recent time change. On the day after the time change (day light savings), it had the wrong time when I started it. Shortly after, it corrected to the right time without me doing anything. I assumed it was done from the GPS signal.
Is possible that if your phone is linked with the ATAS console, it could have also grabbed the local time from your phone. In any case, a couple of ways.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possible, but I highly doubt it. It's most likely that Apple keeps CarPlay as a completely closed system.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Possible, but I highly doubt it. It's most likely that Apple keeps CarPlay as a completely closed system.
If there is no bluetooth connectivity to a smart device, then I would agree. Otherwise, time synchronization is a basic command.

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
That gps is working independent of your mobile phone. On page 90 and 91 of the owners manual you can read it is used for date and time setting. Then read page 340

This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up.

Happy sunday the sun is shining here is it is time to go for a ride

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is possible that if your phone is linked with the ATAS console, it could have also grabbed the local time from your phone. In any case, a couple of ways.
There was no phone involved as I live in a rural area with little to no cell service so my phone was turned off and is turned off most times. If needed I turn it on and look for a signal. Got to love high tech technology. I was also thinking that everything has GPS tracking now so why wouldn't it have it too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You wouldn't need a smart device mount when it can be kept in the jacket pocket - ideally anyway.
I have a phone mount because I have a Razer Phone 2 that is Android based.

But I agree, it would be preferable to have your device on your person in the event you become separated from the bike with an injury.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Big brother is proud and watching this great new 2020 bike, whether we need it or not, lol!
I have a 2017 AT and love it.
The 2020 model has seriously interested me in upgrading.
After this post, I am not longer lusting after the new model

It should be illegal for manufactureres to add such features without giving the legitimate owners the option to deactivate it!

·
Registered
CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
360 Posts
Mastercore,

You are totally right you have the option to turn it but look to our cars there is it more wore with so call emergency button and connected cars. Before it was only DDR and USSR CCP but now it is every where and we accept it. But there is solution cut the wire and for cars remove simcard.
Next week I am at the dealer will ask to show me what data is used and where it is stored. Hopefully I see on which software the MID is running.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What would be really cool would be if the rider could activate something like an "explorer safety mode" in which the IMU could detect crash conditions and turn on the GPS like a location beacon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts