Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I named my bike "Curiosity". And yeah, I stole the name from the Mars Rover. I bought the bike on 1/7/20.

Before "today" I have installed a Denali Soundbomb Mini horn and Barkbuster Storm guards with LED lights. Other than that, I replaced the terrible Dunlop Trailmax D610 tires with Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. I'm so glad I didn't spend another day on the stock Dunlops.

As for "today" (Saturday), I installed Kaoko Throttle Lock Cruise Control (glad I didn't buy before my Barkbusters) and Honda OEM Visor Kit.

I only went for a quick ride to get some food but I feel like the Visor Kit made some small difference in the vortices and I can definitely see why everyone loves the Kaoko.

My next project will be to sort out the windscreen Madstad vs Tegnit vs Batzen vs Iconic Windshield Adjusters

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
3,125 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today, I installed K&N Air Filters. Ugh. As you know, you have to remove the outer fairings to get to the air boxes. On an ATAS, you have to remove the crash bars to get to the fairing. And you have to remove the under crash plate to remove the bars.

Why did I blow $90 on air filters on a bike with 2k miles? Well, I had a credit at Cycle Gear from some returned gloves. Over the weekend they gave $20 off any order ... so what the heck.
(and over the weekend I was brewing this mad idea about getting a RapidBike ecu ... but I've since snapped out of it and decided that can wait)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Personally after rebuilding many engines - I do not like K&N filters - probably OK if you are just road riding but a definite no-no off road in dusty conditions. Many tests have been done to verify that the K&N filter does flow more air when clean, but does in-fact allow a lot of smaller particulates through the filter. I have seen many internally worn engines that run K&N filters that have been run off-road. Paper or dual density foam is far superior than the K&N - Just ask any off-road race team what type of filter they run - none use a K&N for very good reasons.

Here is an interesting report on filter testing:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, that's a fantastic article. I have to admit, I enjoyed the "Resistance to Flow" graph the most. But in general, it just goes to show that you really can't get around physics. The better a filter performs at "filtering", the more restrictive it is. It just makes sense.

In the future, I will not purchase another K&N filter. However, I am "fortunate" that I live in Tennessee nearly surrounded by mountains. "Dusty" is a word never used here. Rainy, sure. Muddy, absolutely. Statistically, the Pacific Northwest sounds worse but I've never been there. This is the rainiest and cloudiest (and dreariest) place I've ever lived. But hey, did I mention mountains everywhere? Between rainstorms, this area is fantastic for riding so I can't complain.

2,000+ miles and inside of my airbox didn't need cleaning at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, that's a fantastic article. I have to admit, I enjoyed the "Resistance to Flow" graph the most. But in general, it just goes to show that you really can't get around physics. The better a filter performs at "filtering", the more restrictive it is. It just makes sense.

In the future, I will not purchase another K&N filter. However, I am "fortunate" that I live in Tennessee nearly surrounded by mountains. "Dusty" is a word never used here. Rainy, sure. Muddy, absolutely. Statistically, the Pacific Northwest sounds worse but I've never been there. This is the rainiest and cloudiest (and dreariest) place I've ever lived. But hey, did I mention mountains everywhere? Between rainstorms, this area is fantastic for riding so I can't complain.

2,000+ miles and inside of my airbox didn't need cleaning at all.

TN is lovely. Would be interesting witnessing a tornado while riding, I reckon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the Camel Adv Windscreen Brace on Friday. Yesterday I installed the Puig Windshield Adjuster. I look forward to a chance to ride and test it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts