Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently installed the OEM Heated Grips on my 2017. It was a pain in the ass but i believe i did it right.

The only thing im wondering about is the current consumption mpg readout. When im driving it puts up numbers. When im at a stop light it reads (--- --- ---). Is this accurate because i never noticed this before?

Also, my Kaoko throttle lock doesn't work with the OEM heated grips. I even found a nice rubber washer that fits perfectly and its still wont work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cant help ya on the dash readout, cant say I ever looked at consumption mpg when stopped.

Kaoko works with OEM heated or non heated grips. I do not have heated grips, but if my memory works, I can recall 2 different spacers for Kaoko when I installed. Check their site, might have to order correct spacer.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That is the correct display of current fuel consumption when you are stopped.
Kaoko will sort you out - they have been very helpful with me and have some bits on the way to help me make the Kaoko I bought for my 2017 fit on my new 2018 bike

·
Registered
400 Posts
I guess the current consumption calculation needs to see current speed and current fuel use to do its calculation. At a standstill it may just not do the calculation as there is no speed input.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I guess the current consumption calculation needs to see current speed and current fuel use to do its calculation. At a standstill it may just not do the calculation as there is no speed input.
It raises an interesting question Kev. Are Honda calculating fuel usage as you suggest or are they monitoring fuel flow. I had assumed they were doing it by the tank sensor because the light always first comes on when you are travelling down hill, and the average fuel consumption is hopelessly inaccurate for the first 10 or 20 miles of a full tank. Or maybe they can calculate it from the fuel injectors.
I notice on my 2018 bike there is one of those little changes from the previous model that they don't document. The fuel light comes on earlier. And when I check the user manual it seems to be set now at one US gallon. only checked it once so far and it seems to be spot on. My 2017 model was 3.6 litres every time. I think the difference is now it's about 40 miles left in the tank whereas previously it was when 30 miles were left in. Not sure which is right for me - probably would have preferred just 30 miles.
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
My logic is:
Average fuel consumption looks at distance travelled and fuel used (fuel flow not tank level). I reckon tank level is too coarse
Current consumption will look at road speed and fuel flow
I may be wrong !
But whatever method it uses its better than stopping and rocking the bike from side to side to work out how much fuel you have left - aahhh, and of course the reserve fuel tap, happy days.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My logic is:
Average fuel consumption looks at distance travelled and fuel used (fuel flow not tank level). I reckon tank level is too coarse
Current consumption will look at road speed and fuel flow
I may be wrong !
But whatever method it uses its better than stopping and rocking the bike from side to side to work out how much fuel you have left - aahhh, and of course the reserve fuel tap, happy days.
My guess is you are right about them using the injectors to measure fuel flow but they probably simply use different time frames (maybe the previous 60 seconds for current consumption and perhaps 10 minutes for average consumption)
Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts