Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being mostly stuck at home I tried my hand at making a case to hold my iPhone on the new AT. I'm an Android guy so I use an old eBay'd iPhone 7 to get access to CarPlay, and tether that to my Pixel.

First time making anything out of leather. The back has two ridiculously powerful rare earth magnets under garment leather to keep them from scuffing the tank.

Process was to design the case layout in Fusion 360 and cut the leather on my Glowforge. I awled the stitch holes with the laser as well. While sewing, I 3D printed a dummy phone to cram into it while the leather soaked, to stretch it into shape. I stained it a couple days later after it dried.

Big props to my wife, who does tons of leather work and gave a lot of guidance.

Yes, I've had too much time on my hands lately, but it works a charm so far. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice, so if understood correctly your phone holder has magnets, and you just lay down on the fuel tank. But what if it is raining outside, or high humidity? From my perspective it will be better not to risk a device that costs under or more than $1000k dollars with it. There are awesome websites like Gadget Guide India - Your Guide to Gadgets - that have for sale everything related to tech that protects, makes it easier to use and has additional functions to make experience using tech in a more comfortable way. Most important is the price, so affordable price can be found only online. Local stores pay additional taxes, and they will take peoples money for those expenses.

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
345 Posts
I like it and you could probably sell a few if you made them. If you do, let me know.

I would be a bit cautious about it the magnet is too strong. Most magnets won't damage the phone though.

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
... and be observant about fine dust/grit being embedded in the leather between the magnet and the tank paint finish. If not, then over time, the tank area may become somewhat dull. This is the same issue with magnetic tank bags, but likely less severe in the phone pouch case.

Just wipe clean the back of the leather pouch from time-to-time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts