Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow AT owners. Thought you might find this of interest. I purchased my AT in May 2016 and have been enjoying it immensely ever since. I added a few things, removed a few things, tweaked a few things and the bike is almost perfect except one item! Those dang hand rails on the rack! They're just in the way! I ride a lot of gravel and off-road and prefer soft, throw over luggage and those rails make it nearly impossible to carry throw over luggage. At the point of frustration one day, I said F'it and cut them off! A friend who has an AT as well wasn't about to go to the extreme I did so we put our heads and resources together and came up with this (see attached photo). Its a bolt-on replacement rack, made of stainless steel and the hand rails are less obtrusive and are removable. No drilling, all mounting bolts are used and the plastic side panels fit properly. It has pockets similar to the OEM rack pockets for any after market racks, OEM bags, etc.

If you have an interest, we've posted quite a bit of detail here -

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ed-enhancements.1171785/page-10#post-31812740

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow!!! Nice job!

I didn't realize how much you had to "re-engineer" to simply get rid of those grab rails. I'm planning to use soft luggage on my AT too. So, it may also be problematic for me too...

Good luck with it!!!!

Fellow AT owners. Thought you might find this of interest. I purchased my AT in May 2016 and have been enjoying it immensely ever since. I added a few things, removed a few things, tweaked a few things and the bike is almost perfect except one item! Those dang hand rails on the rack! They're just in the way! I ride a lot of gravel and off-road and prefer soft, throw over luggage and those rails make it nearly impossible to carry throw over luggage. At the point of frustration one day, I said F'it and cut them off! A friend who has an AT as well wasn't about to go to the extreme I did so we put our heads and resources together and came up with this (see attached photo). Its a bolt-on replacement rack, made of stainless steel and the hand rails are less obtrusive and are removable. No drilling, all mounting bolts are used and the plastic side panels fit properly. It has pockets similar to the OEM rack pockets for any after market racks, OEM bags, etc.

If you have an interest, we've posted quite a bit of detail here -

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ed-enhancements.1171785/page-10#post-31812740

Thanks for looking!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts