Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to start looking for a better touring seat for "Nellie" (my AT). The seat is fine for 2 or 3 hours but after that it gets a bit uncomfortable. Off road I can standup enough that it's not a problem but I don't think running down the road at 75+ standing up would be a good idea.

Russell Day Long makes good saddles but nothing yet for the AT. Corbin seats are known to be fairly hard and they say they need about 1000 miles to break-in. But they are expensive and my butt likes a little cushion. I saw one somewhere that has a shape more like a cruiser seat, broad at the back but still thin up front so you could standup and reach the ground when needed. If you know of any please let me know.

PS. Am I just an old fart with a skinny butt or do some of you also find it a little uncomfortable after some hours on the road?

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fitted a Concept seat set. http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Honda-2016-17-CRF1000L-Africa-Twin/p/73015276/category=1671356
The wife likes the change because it raises the front section of the seat and it is better shaped.
I did a 900km weekend run recently and it was way more comfortable than stock.
I chose the gripper finish with carbon fibre sides.
It was a bit of a fiddle to fit the cover after bonding on the new foam to the seat base.
I used an air powered staple gun.
This my third Concept seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 for seat concepts. I've had three of their seats on three different bikes so far and love them.

I'm not so good with install, so I just take it down to the local upholstery shop and pay them $30 to do it.

PS - if you ride in a textile suit (like my Aerostich) be sure to get the gripper seat material, otherwise your ass slides all over the place!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I too have had good luck with Seat Concepts kits. Have done four of them so far. Planning to do the AT this winter.

I see Sargent is working on a seat for the AT (Can be hard to find as they call it an African Twin. Searches didn't find it at first.

I know the full custom places will do them if you send your pan or ride in. Mayer, Russell, etc.

I am waiting for more first hand reports as the riding season is over hear. Snow and road salt suck...

·
Registered
188 Posts
The OEM seat isn't comfortable for me. OK for commuting, but I'd need to fix it to tour.

Interested in Seat Concepts. I have an air stapler, so hopefully I could install it at home.

Love the Sargent seat on my FZ1. It uses a custom pan that has an indent that holds a tool can. Don't know if they could pull that off on an AT seat, but it sure would be welcome there.

MotoPumps, I'm a big fan of the AirShot!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello...
I dropped by Seat Concepts to get the seat done... $180
Before install
Vegas 560 miles = butt pain within 2 hrs
After install
Benton / Yosemite 700+ miles = no butt pain but a slight lower back pain- the foam is adjusted for more of a cruiser style seating

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Corbin just released their "high" seat. There will be a low version coming soon. This is a one piece deal replacing the stock two piece seat.

http://www.corbin.com/honda/hat16h.shtml

I have had mixed results with Corbin seats. I have one for my FJR that I love, one for my VStrom 650 that is quite good, but had a total debacle over the one they made for my Super Tenere. They eventually ended up taking it back.

YMMV

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
My bike came from the previous owner with a seat concepts so I wasn't able to compare the stock seat, however I do notice that you kinda sit deep into the pan and very upright, especially when sitting back a bit. Not sure if I like it as I prefer a forward lean into the bars (Coming from sport bike world)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just built my Seat Concepts seat. Beautifully sewn cover and much better shape on the foam than stock. Opted for the rear cover of the stock foam.

Have only sat on it in the garage, but it feels much better than the stock seat.

Sure I am going to be happy with this. Have had four other SC seats over the years. Great value.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will be receiving a heated Corbin low seat Thursday, March 9. I am looking forward to replacing the stock seat. The stock seat starts hurting me at about 2 hours of riding.

I have had Corbin seats on my other bikes and have had good luck with them being comfortable for me.
Charles

·
Registered
101 Posts
Does the Corbin seat affect the seat height? My standard seat on low setting is still plenty tall enough for me, the low seat I find way too hard.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Oh.... I've just seen the new TT seat at the Irish m/c show on the TT stand. I asked could I try it out which wasn't a problem.
I wasn't terribly impressed as it felt narrower than the stock seat and very hard. OK, it'd be possibly very different when you have more than a couple of minutes on board, but it just didn't make me want to spend my money on it. Plus I wasn't that impressed with the fit, especially around the nose around the back of the tank.

I'll definitely wait for Sargents take. :smile2:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just fitted my new John Morehouse Ergo custom seat, front seat has been raised up 30mm & made flat, rear seat has just had a new matching cover fitted, I didnt get the foam upgrade as the seat is not used for pillions. The seat feels great, I don't feel like I'm sitting in a bucket anymore & can move around on the seat easily now. much firmer than the standard seat. Ive had John modifiy a few seats for me, he always does an amazing job & warrants that youll be happy with them, if not he will adjust the padding to suit, now I just have to get out on the AT & break the seat in. takes around 1000 klm's to break the seat in properly. the KTM's seat in the background also has been modified by John Morehouse

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts