Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I currently ride an Indian and a BMW K1600GTL, but thinking to add something that is capable to get me more off-road (Moab, Alaska, etc.). I am 5'8", so most adv bikes are hight challenging for me. I watched a youtube video of a shop out west specializing in BMW bikes, where they install after market suspension, seats, etc. to fit a specific rider. I was curious if anyone knows of a shop that does this for AT.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Buy something lighter. I ride an Africa Twin DCT off-road, and by the time you've added the necessary protection, it weighs too much.

Get something lighter that you can pick up yourself without assistance.

BMW F800 are popular?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Shops that do those mods will probably do them for any make/model. The problem is that when you change the ride height you change a lot of characteristics that were carefully chosen for the bike. Lowering any bike is going to shorten it's wheelbase which in itself will make it feel less stable than the stock bike - and some lowered bikes I've been on were down right squirelly and unsafe. It may feel great untill the suspension compresses while leaned over and it suddenly pulls hard to the inside or outside of a corner. Between the AT and ATAS, I notice the extra inch my ATAS has in that I feel the AT handles corners on the road better. The extra suspension on the ATAS is a compromise - in order to handle rougher offroad terrain it gives up a little street cred.

The Yamaha Tenere 700 is a great bike (love the engine), and it would fit you. I stand flat footed on my ATAS with the seat in the high position (36+ inch inseam and a 36 inch seat height). I would love the Tenere except like the FZ-07 - I'm too big for it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm 5'8" tall with a 31" inseam. I ride an ATAS. The optional low seat with the stock tires has me flat-footed. With Karoo 3s I'm just on the balls of my feet and this is with the preload set. I wanted the ATAS because of the increased ground clearance as I ride 50/50.

I agree with the above post about lowering the bike. I wouldn't do it. It changes the geometry of the bike which will affect the handling not to mention ground clearance.

I used to complain that I couldn't ride these taller bikes off-road cause when I had to dab I'd be going over. I took a class from a gent who was shorter than I and rode a standard heigh BMW GSA. The key is to learn slow speed handling so you don't need to dab nearly as much or at all. Basically improved riding skill. I've been working on that.

Before I bought my ATAS I rode a 2017 BMW GSA "Low Model" which comes from the factory as a low model so all the geometry is correct. I added a Corbin low saddle on it and I was always flat footed no matter the tire choice. I even had a slight bend in my knee so it even left me with some "room". So while it won't be a popular answer on this board, you might want to look at a BMW GSA Low...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts