Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Center stand arrived yesterday. I spent all last night trying to latch the springs onto the center stand.

Read and tried all forum suggestions but it just wouldn't work for me. Woke up early this morning to tackle the job again, but the results were the same.

I just about gave up till a friend showed up to lend a hand. We felt the ratchet method was best, so we gave it another try.

We tied a nylon rope from spring to ratchet hook and hooked the other ratchet hook to my truck's hitch but no luck. Bike kept inching back when we were just cm away from hooking the springs. My friend suggested I hold the brakes. I just looked at him and said, "C'mon bro....my arms aren't long enough to brake and guide the springs....wait a minute...OMGosh...of course!"

CLICK (downshift)

And just like that, both springs were hooked in a matter of seconds.

So relieved!!! Totally saved my weekend!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad you got it on. Its a huge pain. I've seen videos of a couple really strong guys just pull it and get it on. I tried that a few times and there was no way I could do that.

I wish I saw the video of the guy using the rear tire and a broom stick before I finally got mine on using a big screw driver and "leveraging" it on, which wasn't too difficult but wasn't a breeze either.

Center stand arrived yesterday. I spent all last night trying to latch the springs onto the center stand.

Read and tried all forum suggestions but it just wouldn't work for me. Woke up early this morning to tackle the job again, but the results were the same.

I just about gave up till a friend showed up to lend a hand. We felt the ratchet method was best, so we gave it another try.

We tied a nylon rope from spring to ratchet hook and hooked the other ratchet hook to my truck's hitch but no luck. Bike kept inching back when we were just cm away from hooking the springs. My friend suggested I hold the brakes. I just looked at him and said, "C'mon bro....my arms aren't long enough to brake and guide the springs....wait a minute...OMGosh...of course!"

CLICK (downshift)

·
Registered
166 Posts
It took me a few hours of trying various methods, until I tried using a tool completely unrelated to the garage and it worked perfectly. While I was irritated that I didn't figure it out sooner, the learning experience is valuable, right? Lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
I mounted my center stand springs using a long narrow drift pin. you could also use a long round Phillips screw driver. The leverage make mounting the springs easy

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used one of these left over from another exhaust installation.

This plus leverage against the center stand using a very long screwdriver made short work of these springs.

·
Registered
119 Posts

CLICK (downshift)

You needed to find my earlier post from last year. Here it is... (Searched my personal post to find it.)

Hi Guys,

Just want to pass on an easy trick to stretch the extremely strong centre stand spring when installing one on your bike. With the stand in the up position, I tied a nylon cord around the spring that was already attached at the other end to the C-plate of the bike. (This will make sense if you have the bits and bobs of the centre stand kit) The cord was then directed past the rear tire and sprocket where I tied the cord to a broom handle. Using the rear tire as a fulcrum, I levered on the broom with my right foot (I was lying on my side) and this stretched the spring as EASY as, while I used my hand to guide the spring onto the 'hook' that is awaiting on the centre stand.

I kid you not, this took no more than two minutes to complete. Much better than pliers, way easier than levering with a screwdriver. It was that easy I stunned myself and shouted myself a cold beer.

Keep this little trick up your sleeve if you ever need to stretch a spring. The power of a simple lever. Gee those cavemen were smart!!!!

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!0:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used one of these left over from another exhaust installation.

This plus leverage against the center stand using a very long screwdriver made short work of these springs.

I've never seen that before nor. How does that work? I tried using an exhaust spring puller but that didn't work.

You needed to find my earlier post from last year. Here it is... (Searched my personal post to find it.)

Hi Guys,

Just want to pass on an easy trick to stretch the extremely strong centre stand spring when installing one on your bike. With the stand in the up position, I tied a nylon cord around the spring that was already attached at the other end to the C-plate of the bike. (This will make sense if you have the bits and bobs of the centre stand kit) The cord was then directed past the rear tire and sprocket where I tied the cord to a broom handle. Using the rear tire as a fulcrum, I levered on the broom with my right foot (I was lying on my side) and this stretched the spring as EASY as, while I used my hand to guide the spring onto the 'hook' that is awaiting on the centre stand.

I kid you not, this took no more than two minutes to complete. Much better than pliers, way easier than levering with a screwdriver. It was that easy I stunned myself and shouted myself a cold beer.

Keep this little trick up your sleeve if you ever need to stretch a spring. The power of a simple lever. Gee those cavemen were smart!!!!

Wadeo

I read your post but even to this day I have no idea what you're doing here. LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've never seen that before nor. How does that work? I tried using an exhaust spring puller but that didn't work.

I read your post but even to this day I have no idea what you're doing here. LOL
That's weird because many other AT owners managed to follow what I wrote???? :wink2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll do my best to explain this without actual installation pics...

Assuming your bike is on the side stand, you attach one end of each spring to the bike side bracket hole.

Then, using the above tool, attach the hook end of the tool to one of the springs (preferably the lower spring) and using leverage against the back of the center stand as shown in this pic, lever the spring rearward and attach it to the hook on the centerstand.

Be VERY CAREFUL not to scratch your wheel. I took a piece of cardboard and taped it to my wheel to around the area I thought might get hit as a precaution.

NOTE: The HIGHER the stand the easier it is to install the springs, to a point.

LINK to factory instructions - http://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08M70-MJP-G50.pdf

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anything that requires the use of brute strength by any means is beyond my comprehension hence ratchet. ;)

It takes a minimum of two fingers to work the ratchet. LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts

Hi Guys,

Wadeo

Thanks a million for this tip! I installed my center stand last night and used this method for stretching the springs.

Easy-Peasy :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great suggestions folks. Note that it can be done with a conventional T-handle hook-type spring puller and proper body positioning. But takes some effort to be sure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
After struggling to get the first spring on I hit on a much simpler method for the second spring. I used a large pair of channel lock pliers. I placed the lower jaw just below the tab that the spring hooks onto and positioned the spring hook on the upper jaw near the end of the jaw. When I squeezed the pliers together it easily pulled the spring hook to the tab. I then rotated the pliers down and the spring popped onto the tab. Made super easy work of the whole mess. The bike was on a cheap Harbor Freight atv lift so I could lower the stand a bit more for more room but I don't think the extra height was really necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice to see there are many ways to solve the problem. I found another way by accident/necessity. I thought I was pretty strong but muscling the second one into place was not going to happen! Method was easy and only required a bungee cord and a nylon tie-down strap and the willingness to get dirty. Here goes:

1. Put bike in 1st gear, leave on side stand
2. Remove S hook from bungee cord and connect spring to front lever and then connect S hook to free end of spring
3. Connect tie-down strap to S hook, keep tension on this while you lay down beside the bike so the hook doesn't fall off of the spring
4. While laying on your side, wrap the tie-down strap around your foot and extend it toward the rear of the bike using your foot as a fulcrum, push rearward with your leg to stretch the spring out - it's very easy with only one leg
5. While stretching with your leg, use your hands to guide the spring onto the stand

This was very easy in retrospect and best of all, I had everything in the garage already.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Although I cheated and got the dealer to do my centre stand at the 1000km service.

I do notice that the stand moves about alot when I go over small jumps and you can hear it when it snaps back up in to position.

Does anybody else notice a similar issue?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Although I cheated and got the dealer to do my centre stand at the 1000km service.

I do notice that the stand moves about alot when I go over small jumps and you can hear it when it snaps back up in to position.

Does anybody else notice a similar issue?
Yes, the center stand bounces a bunch and the banging is quite noticeable on the less than perfect gravel roads I right.

Thinking about adding a wrap of Velcro to keep it from banging.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, the center stand bounces a bunch and the banging is quite noticeable on the less than perfect gravel roads I right.

Thinking about adding a wrap of Velcro to keep it from banging.
I use my stand almost all the time so the velcro may become a hassle to me

The bike goes on the centre stand so the oil distributes and settles evenly when then engine cools

1 - 20 of 38 Posts