Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've decided that there are several rights of passage to being a true AT owner, the first one is to drop the windshield well nut into the fairing, the second one is to install the center stand springs, those are some stout springs. Now, what's the best way to get the bike up on the center stand? I look like a monkey humpin a basketball trying to get it on the stand, I finally tipped the bike over on the side stand and lowered it onto the center stand. I'm a big guy and I can't figure out the body position to make it happen, and the pillion pegs are right in the way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've decided that there are several rights of passage to being a true AT owner, the first one is to drop the windshield well nut into the fairing, the second one is to install the center stand springs, those are some stout springs. Now, what's the best way to get the bike up on the center stand? I look like a monkey humpin a basketball trying to get it on the stand, I finally tipped the bike over on the side stand and lowered it onto the center stand. I'm a big guy and I can't figure out the body position to make it happen, and the pillion pegs are right in the way.
I have the same issue with the footpegs.

Regarding the lifting the bike on to the centre stand it is difficult for me to explain body position but key to me is making sure that both legs of the centre stand are touching the ground at the same time before pulling the bike back and up.

If only one leg is touching the ground, it is so much more difficult to pull the bike back on to the stand

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hook exhaust spring tool onto spring.
Pipe or long pry bar (gorilla bar for me) though handle of spring tool.
Find place to put end of pry bar. Inside of rim with rag protecting rim.
Apply leverage.
Guide end of tool to where the end of spring will slide over hook on centerstand. Repeat for other spring. Stand up, pop cap off barley pop, look around and announce to no one in particular, "THAT'S how we do it in Burbank. "

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got the center stand in as well. I was going to install it yesterday, but instead I went sledding with my family. Guess what? I crashed the stupid sled and broke my freekin back! T12 compression fracture! Ironically just the day before I was flying across the desert at 60mph on my brand new AT! Guess I’ll try your trick in a few weeks lol!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Long handle screwdriver resting behind mounting post for spring. Start with spring up the shaft of the screwdriver and push the screwdriver back towards the end of the bike. No drama and takes two minutes. I learned the hard way several times. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the OEM center stand today. Got to the springs and tried the broom handle with paracord method but just couldn't get it to work. Plan B was the ratchet strap method, didn't have a ratchet strap but I did have a come-along winch, so tied the paracord to the end of the spring and tied the other end of the paracord to the come-along hook. Hooked the come-along to the hitch on my truck and set the parking brake on the Africa Twin (DCT). Cranked away and the first spring went in easy as pie. Second one was a little more difficult, it was either too far to notch it in or too short. It would have been easy with two people, one person to guide the spring end while the other releases the tension on the winch, but I was on my own. After a few tries with no success, I simply rolled the bike back a few inches and reset the brake. Luck was on my side and it lined up enough for me to hook it into the notch with a little help from a screwdriver. So glad that is over with. Tomorrow I remove the windshield to install the AltRider headlight guard, hope I don't drop any well nuts into the fairing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
...... Tomorrow I remove the windshield to install the AltRider headlight guard, hope I don't drop any well nuts into the fairing.
After you remove the upper bolts, don't unscrew completely the lower bolts. Just undo them a few turns, then you can push down the windshield and remove it: the well nuts will stay with the bolts and you don't risk loosing them. :wink2:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I used a specific tool for mounting the center stand springs; literaly, it is sold as a toll for this task.

It took me and my brother in law 20 freaking, sweating and curcing minutes with no luck. The springs would come as close as 4mm (!!) to the fixing point. Even when trying one spring at a time.

My hand would simply interfere with the stand itself and could not move those freaking mm to fix it.

Then my brother in law gave it a last try and oops, it fell into position with half the force we applied up to that point..... eventually it was a matter of angle he could manage due to his smaller hands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't lift the bike onto the stand, rather push down on the stand with your foot while rolling the bike rearward. Needs to be all one motion...

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
496 Posts
Installed my new Honda factory center stand today. 2017 DCT...

The springs kinda suck, but were not too bad. Had a Snapon seal puller (hook with a "L" shaped handle.) Pulled them on with a foot on the side stand, and a few choice words of encouragement. Install took about 15 minutes with hunting for tools, grease, etc.

Been practicing getting it actually up on the center stand. Harder than I expected for my 5'6" self. Agree that stepping down hard while rolling back at max velocity seems to do the trick.

Wish the stand was about 3/4 " shorter, but definitely too lazy to take it off, cut it down and re-weld it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
A really simple way to do this is take a ratchet strap attach it to your spring tool and then wrap the opposite end of the strap behind the sprocket and around the rear tire. If you have a DCT put on the parking brake if not have someone hold the rear brakes or put in gear. Hook the spring tool on one springs and simply tighten the ratchet strap and pull the spring onto the post. Release the ratchet strap when the spring is in position. Do the same thing with the next spring - takes just a minute or two - no sweat!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You needed to find my earlier post from last year. Here it is... (Searched my personal post to find it.)

Hi Guys,

Just want to pass on an easy trick to stretch the extremely strong centre stand spring when installing one on your bike. With the stand in the up position, I tied a nylon cord around the spring that was already attached at the other end to the C-plate of the bike. (This will make sense if you have the bits and bobs of the centre stand kit) The cord was then directed past the rear tire and sprocket where I tied the cord to a broom handle. Using the rear tire as a fulcrum, I levered on the broom with my right foot (I was lying on my side) and this stretched the spring as EASY as, while I used my hand to guide the spring onto the 'hook' that is awaiting on the centre stand.

I kid you not, this took no more than two minutes to complete. Much better than pliers, way easier than levering with a screwdriver. It was that easy I stunned myself and shouted myself a cold beer.

Keep this little trick up your sleeve if you ever need to stretch a spring. The power of a simple lever. Gee those cavemen were smart!!!!

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!0:)
Your a friggin genius...I struggled for hours getting the second spring on then....Leverage is your friend, your solution is the bomb. 2 minutes, paracord and an old handle, Done!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You needed to find my earlier post from last year. Here it is... (Searched my personal post to find it.)

Hi Guys,

Just want to pass on an easy trick to stretch the extremely strong centre stand spring when installing one on your bike. With the stand in the up position, I tied a nylon cord around the spring that was already attached at the other end to the C-plate of the bike. (This will make sense if you have the bits and bobs of the centre stand kit) The cord was then directed past the rear tire and sprocket where I tied the cord to a broom handle. Using the rear tire as a fulcrum, I levered on the broom with my right foot (I was lying on my side) and this stretched the spring as EASY as, while I used my hand to guide the spring onto the 'hook' that is awaiting on the centre stand.

I kid you not, this took no more than two minutes to complete. Much better than pliers, way easier than levering with a screwdriver. It was that easy I stunned myself and shouted myself a cold beer.

Keep this little trick up your sleeve if you ever need to stretch a spring. The power of a simple lever. Gee those cavemen were smart!!!!

Wadeo

Keep the shiny side up!0:)
Old Post I realise but hey buddy, fantastic, that works, within minutes from setting up, springs off, simple tools, string n piece of wood. 👍🏻

·
Administrator
3,668 Posts
Old Post I realise but hey buddy, fantastic, that works, within minutes from setting up, springs off, simple tools, string n piece of wood. 👍🏻
The funny thing about this thread is it began by asking for tips on how to lift the bike onto the center stand and somehow it morphed into how to install the center stand spring :)

As for the spring, I used the "penny method" to fit the springs on both my bike and my wife's bike. which is to say, stretch a spring coil, add a penny or washer in between, move on to the next coil, add a penny or washer in between. Repeat along the length of the spring until you have the length needed to easily hook the spring. Use pliers to pull the pennies. Job is done.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts