Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taping the Dakar event for the last few days so we can watch it WITHOUT COMMERCIALS. And, I gotta tell ya boys, those bike riders are some **** good riders. I mean, they're doing what, maybe 60, 70, 80+ mph across SOFT SAND and man, that's some serious control. I do 40-50 on a graded forest service road and I think I'm traveling at the speed of light! I've never been a fan of soft sand riding on two wheels. Way too squirrally for me. If I'm gonna be on soft sand, dunes etc., I prefer at least 3 or 4 fat wheel/tire vehicles under me. That way, I don't have to go mach 2 in order to stay afloat. But, those boys are, without a doubt, some great riders.
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about when they are going 70 mph over bowling balls!?! Those rocks would be hard enough to walk across! I am an experienced rider, but I can't imagine dealing with those rocks and sand!

Crazy stuff!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dakar is like my religion, it's TV is mandatory to be on eurosport channel (cable tv where is transmission in Portugal), the most impressive for me are the trucks... 20 ton trucks keeping up with cars...
I have a deep respect for all the riders, they truly risk their lives and someone's lose it on the tracks, RIP Speedy Gonçalves and many others.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
69 Posts
How about Toby Price finishing up with a Zip Tied Tire?!?!?!?! Those guys have talent that goes way beyond skills. I would love to go and do an amature version, where the stages are cut in half or quarters and you can ride the same course just to get a taste of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How about Toby Price finishing up with a Zip Tied Tire?!?!?!?! Those guys have talent that goes way beyond skills. I would love to go and do an amature version, where the stages are cut in half or quarters and you can ride the same course just to get a taste of it.

Actually if you have the time and money and are willing to come to Portugal, there is an off road even that follow the original Dakar, in this case the Route from the years where it started in Lisbon and goes all the way to Dakar, you can go by bike or 4x4.
i don't have the experience yet to embrace this, but it's in my to do list.

hope not to break any rules to promote this, i haven't any affiliation or asked them to promote this in this forum. I have friends that participated by bike and 4x4 and praized security and organization.

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
69 Posts
Actually if you have the time and money and are willing to come to Portugal, there is an off road even that follow the original Dakar, in this case the Route from the years where it started in Lisbon and goes all the way to Dakar, you can go by bike or 4x4.
i don't have the experience yet to embrace this, but it's in my to do list.

hope not to break any rules to promote this, i haven't any affiliation or asked them to promote this in this forum. I have friends that participated by bike and 4x4 and praized security and organization.
That looks awesome!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts