Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where....your garage?
How...getting a ladder down..putting a pram away?

Squeezing the bike through a shed doorway?

An imbecile with a shopping trolley?

Somebody parking too close?

A Bear?

Be interested to hear of any experiences you may have.

·
Registered
2017 DCT, 2021 Adv Sport ES DCT
551 Posts
Dropped my 2017 in the garage, backing out between wife's Lexus and a tight fit with the garage door. In a hurry, thoroughly annoyed, tripped over an errant watering can.

At least the fall was cushioned by dragging the windshield and bark buster down the rear quarter panel of her car... yeah, I heard about that for a while, until I got it buffed out completely. She seems to have forgotten about it now! No pics on that one.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dropped my 2017 in the garage, backing out between wife's Lexus and a tight fit with the garage door. In a hurry, thoroughly annoyed, tripped over an errant watering can.

At least the fall was cushioned by dragging the windshield and bark buster down the rear quarter panel of her car... yeah, I heard about that for a while, until I got it buffed out completely. She seems to have forgotten about it now! No pics on that one.
I was going to add a question 'And how much did it cost to repair the damage?' but I thought I'd better leave that one out just in case!! 😬
I've ripped me coat...

·
Registered
106 Posts
2 weeks into ownership on the “easy” loop of my first ever adventure ride. We came to a rocky hill climb full of babydoll head limestone chunks. There was a lady filming and of course everyone needed to look good for the camera climbing the hill. I reached the top and was confronted with a mud hole the size of a pickup truck. 26 screaming bikes headed up the trail to my rear. No choice but to proceed. Made it 1/4 in when the hand of god himself reaches down and throws me and the bike on our side in the mud so fast I didn’t even know what happened. Lol. Twisted handle bars/ scuffed up fairing and tank.

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
'76 RD400. Twice, once each by different girlfriends who felt "strongly compelled" that they wanted to push the bike into a parking position. In each case the bike didn't need to move. It was parked just fine.

In one case it was parked on the grass and she was pushing it wearing flip-flops :rolleyes: ... but she wouldn't hear anything of it. Anyway, a slip and the bike when down. The result cost me a signal lamp assembly and mirror. Nobody got hurt, but she (the RD400) was shaken (just kiddin', I meant the girl).

The second time was on asphalt and she was wearing penny loafers (did I get that right?), but this time I hung (more like clung) with the bike. At this point trust levels were being strained. The bike went down, but I softened its fall to limit damage. Nobody got hurt, no even my back. Again, she was shaken (the RD400). Just kiddin', I meant the girl.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Daft/careless ones. Garage, I thought I'd put the side stand down and hadn't. One leg on the seat getting off and ah, stand is up, down it went. Calf managed to stop more than a barkbuster scratch. Phew. Second a steep starting right hand turn with the wife on pillion. Foot slid out on loose stones and missus wasn't happy. In front of about 50 bikers. Honest love you're safe on the back, a one off trust me......she finally does.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Back in 1972(yes I'm that old) I bought a brand new Suzuki GT750 and rode it home. I lived on a ranch outside of town and you had to stop at the the top of the gravel driveway and open a gate to get in. Well you guessed it, I got off my brand new bike with less than 20 miles on it to open the gate and on the incline the bike slid and the sidestand folded and the bike fell on its side and slid a few feet on the gravel. Talk about feeling absolutely sick.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not a motorcycle story but I think you will get a chuckle out of this one.

I had a 1971 VW bus camper. I was traveling cross country one summer with my girlfriend. We were in the middle of Oklahoma somewhere and came to flagmen who stopped us on the small two lane highway. My VW had a bad armature or starter solenoid and sometimes the starter would not work and I would have to crawl under the car and using a screwdriver short across the solenoid contacts to get the starter to work again. Well as luck would have it when the flagman waved us through the starter would not work. They had just oiled the road and the cars were lined up behind me. I decided to jump out and push the bus t the side of the road to get out of the way. I had a pair of flip flops on my feet and when I pushed the bus the flip flops got stuck to the oiled road and my feet pulled out as I was pushing forward. - I was stepping bare footed on hot and sticky oiled asphalt. Yelling in pain at the heat burning my feet I jumped to the side shoulder of the road. The grass there had been mowed recently and my sticky feet picked up a ton of fresh mown hay!!! I had two huge big clumps of grass and hay stuck to my feet. I thought the flagman was going to wet himself he was laughing so hard. I just stood there feeling like a fool. I felt like I had been tarred and feathered!! My girlfriend never let me forget this.

·
Registered
504 Posts
OK, since we are sharing non AT events...

I had three bikes lined up like dominoes at the garage entrance (DL650, KLX400, FZ1). Yes, I should have known better.
Backed up my pickup, set the ramp in place and was unloading an old CB750 I inherited.
Bottom of the ramp backing toward the garage and feel it bump into something.
Bumped the DL which toppled into the KLX which knocked over the FZ1.
I just stood there aghast. Disbelieving. I'm surprised I didn't have a stroke right there in the driveway.
I can laugh now that all those bikes are gone.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm so proud of this bike, even down to the Stock Tires. I have taken it many a times at speed down dirt roads. Absolutely marveling how well it handles. Took it for a spin 5 minutes away from the house. Wanted to "OffRoad". Everything is going great, I'm "marveling" at the grip on the dirt. Start a descent down a small section, a rut, the bike fails to get out. Bike disappeared from under me and slammed into the ground. I'm get air over the right top of the handle bars, Knee hits the ground first, helmet hits, I hear the bike skid down the trail.
The crash bars took the skid. The handle bars twisted. "Scratched The Paint" on the Tank from the handle bar. I get over it and ride back home, parked it next to my "OFFROAD" Yamaha WR450 w/ knobbie tires and start fixing the handle bars. Expense = Zero.
I still, when I drive by that section of Dirt Road, gaze over at it from the highway, and RE-LIVE IT.
It was last year.
I don't ride my Yamaha anymore.
My bike needs new tires.
Dam, I'm a cheap skate.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,162 Posts
Full lock turn, front brake lever stuck. Front wheel up against a bump in the tarmac. Almost bottomed out the front suspension. DCT did an excellent job of applying torque and not stalling when the bike didn’t move at all, unfortunately all that torque ended up twisting the bike to enable the catapult feature. Giving me one free dislocated shoulder and a bonus of a torn rotator cup. But at least she did relocate my shoulder on the ride home.
BTW.. The bike never stalled, just slammed on her side and the rear wheel was still turning when I walked up. The ECU did figure out what was wrong and shut the bike off. It took me a couple of times cranking it to remember that I didn’t shut the key off and back on to reset everything.

·
Super Moderator
9,681 Posts
Full lock turn, front brake lever stuck. Front wheel up against a bump in the tarmac. Almost bottomed out the front suspension. DCT did an excellent job of applying torque and not stalling when the bike didn’t move at all, unfortunately all that torque ended up twisting the bike to enable the catapult feature. Giving me one free dislocated shoulder and a bonus of a torn rotator cup. But at least she did relocate my shoulder on the ride home.
BTW.. The bike never stalled, just slammed on her side and the rear wheel was still turning when I walked up. The ECU did figure out what was wrong and shut the bike off. It took me a couple of times cranking it to remember that I didn’t shut the key off and back on to reset everything.
Indeed. The "toll" for having a never stalling (for many of us at least) motorcycle.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a motorcycle dolly for my last bike so I could spin it around in the garage. The type that goes under the centre stand only. When I finally managed to get the centre stand up onto the dolly I went around to the front to see how it was positioned. As I bent down to look at it the bike 'walked' off the dolly towards me but I managed to grab the bars from the front then 'crab' my way around to the side and stop it from falling. After that I never used the dolly but I was also very wary of the after market centre stand I had fitted...it didn't take very much forward pressure to release the bike from the stand and I suppose the dolly took the contact of the wheel/s to the floor to a dangerous level. When the bike started rolling towards me I thought that I was seeing things at first....'Ghost Rider'... 😬

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where....your garage?
How...getting a ladder down..putting a pram away?

Squeezing the bike through a shed doorway?

An imbecile with a shopping trolley?

Somebody parking too close?

A Bear?

Be interested to hear of any experiences you may have.
An earthquake drop my 2016 AT,over my car, damaging the right mirror, broke the rigth directional base and misaligne the windsheald, the bike was parked in the center stand, I learned that never, never let your motorcycle parked in the center stand, always in the side stand. the car with small scratchs only.,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts