Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Datatool S4 Red alarm fitted to my new 2018 manual AT just before Christmas by a Honda main dealer.

I've had Datatool alarms before and have always been happy with them so I know how they should work.
The indicators should flash when you arm the system, disarm the system and when the alarm is triggered.
Mine doesn't.

I called the dealer today and they told me that they can't connect the alarm to the indicators on the 2018 bike because the LEDs are 8v and the 12v alarm output will blow them. In fact they told me that the only lamp that they can connect the alarm to to provide a visual indicator is the licence plate bulb as that is 12v.

They have fitted a small red LED to the bike that flashes but my issue is that in sunlight it's difficult to see if you've armed or disarmed the alarm. Also if the alarm is triggered there aren't any flashing lights to visually alert anyone as to which vehicle is being disturbed.

Anyone else had or heard of this issue?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't have one on my AT, but I di have one of these on my Fireblade and I replaced the tiny LED with a Bright Blue replacement that a bought online. Muc easier to se and Hopefully deter!
hope this helps

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would seek out a bike electrician and get him to fit a resistor which will knock the 12v down to 8v, to the feed from the alarm to the indicators. Its actually a fairly simple job to do for an electrician.. but not for an amateur. Definitely not something I would attempt.

It might be worthwhile running this idea past Datatools technical help desk first. unintended consequences can be a right pain.

They may even be aware of this issue already (as LEDS are becoming ubiquitous) and have a ready fix.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i use leds every day in my job ... i have never seen a led restricted to 8v .. 99% are multi volt 3.2v -36 v.

this seems weird to me ... i would consult a qualified auto elec .. and or the alarm distributor.

just my 2c

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I got a reply within 30 minutes and it's not what I wanted to hear..

"Hi Paul
The dealer is correct they cannot connect the indicators to this model of bike due to the operational voltage of the LED indicators on the bike being different to the output of the alarm system and currently we have no solution for this.
Technical Manager Scorpion Automotive Ltd"

I have a pair of 12v LED fog lamps on a switched live from a Fuzeblock, I wonder if the dealer can connect the alarm to them to provide a better visual alert? I'm booked in this Friday so I'll find out then.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the bike back to the dealer today and they successfully wired the alarm into my fog lights so I now have a visual
warning flash when arming and disarming.

They did the recall work on the centre stand circlip too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have the '17 DCT model and had the same alarm fitted last year by an authorised datatool dealer. He blew all four indicators and had to replace them all because of the issues outlined above. He fitted a small audible device so that I had an indication the alarm was armed or not. Everything was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when out on a run the ABS light started flashing and the back wheel started brake of its own accord! Even turning the ABS off didn't work. Just had an update from the Honda dealer who said that the problem is the Datatool alarm and it will have to be removed. Apparently dealers had a memo from Honda telling them that aftermarket alarms should not be fitted to this bike, but unfortunately this hasn't filtered down to the consumer. I'll let you know once the alarm is off if the ABS problem is solved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick update - confirmed nothing to do with the alarm, it was a loose connection on the negative terminal of the battery !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts