Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Dave from the Houston, Texas, USA area. I just apprehended a 2016 Silver manual, the 249th made if the VIN is to be believed. :) It had been languishing in the showroom, so I set it free.

The past 2 years I have primarily ridden a KLR650. I love many aspects of that bike, except the ability to go far. I am a member of the IBA, and going to the meeting in Jacksonville last weekend sealed the deal for me. Lots of great things about the KLR, but it is too shaky and slow for 1000 mile days. Done it many times, but never happily. Riding the AT home from the dealer made it clear that it is easily capable of such distances.

I got the KLR because I love Big Bend National Park. There are 1250 square miles of land there, almost all of it accessible only by unimproved dirt "roads." I wanted something that could get me off the tarmac, and the KLR was great for that. However, Big Bend is 7 hours away, and getting there was far too painful. I think the AT will make it fun to get there.

My current goal is to put about 500 miles on this weekend, so that I can do the first service. I have a rally coming up next weekend (Tour of Honor), and I'd rather take the AT than the KLR. When you have a great new bike, you want to ride it, right? :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats Dave, you look very happy with that Silver #249, now you know how I feel on my Silver DCT #51. Enjoy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrads Dave - enjoy the ride. I am getting a new DCT in a couple of weeks to ride on the fire trails in north Georgia/TN/NC. But like you I live in the metro Atlanta and need to get there. AT seems perfect for this.

How do you find out what # you have by looking at the VIN? Is there a code or something?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome Dave! You will love what the AT can do in the dirt. Not sure the OEM tires will do anything well in Big Bend but fire roads, etc are ok....let us know how the first 500 miles go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrads Dave - enjoy the ride. I am getting a new DCT in a couple of weeks to ride on the fire trails in north Georgia/TN/NC. But like you I live in the metro Atlanta and need to get there. AT seems perfect for this.

How do you find out what # you have by looking at the VIN? Is there a code or something?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, the entire VIN is a code. The last 6 numbers is the serial number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts