Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm doing my MC endorsement this weekend, I just put money down on a bike I haven't ever ridden yet... 2018 Africa Twin DCT in black... but checks all the boxes for me and I know I'll love the bike.

I'm an army veteran and software engineer in Seattle.

Looking forward to connecting w/ the community here.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey there,

I'm doing my MC endorsement this weekend, I just put money down on a bike I haven't ever ridden yet... 2018 Africa Twin DCT in black... but checks all the boxes for me and I know I'll love the bike.

I'm an army veteran and software engineer in Seattle.

Looking forward to connecting w/ the community here.

Thanks, David

First of all, thank you for your service. Sounds like this might be your first bike. It is a tall heavy bike so start slow and find your comfort zone. And yes, you will love this bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Correct, first bike, plan on doing a lot of closed course training as well.

Any recommendations are welcome for advice and equipment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome! I'm out in Issaquah and hoping to do a few offroad trips this summer, hit me up if you want to do a local cruise sometime. I second the "tall and heavy bike" comment, this is my 3rd bike (about 18k total miles on 2 wheels) and that top heavy part was tricky to get used to. The only thing the AT will have in common with the bikes you ride in class and to get your endorsement is that they both have 2 wheels and handlebars, everything else will be drastically different! I applaud you for buying a great bike but I can't imagine being in your shoes, you have a steep learning curve ahead of you, good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I second the "Thank you for your service" statement and say welcome. I'm up in Woodinville and have had a 2016 AT DCT for three years now....also my first bike. It's a great bike for around here. DCT is an excellent choice as it makes off-road ridding a bigger bike like this much, much easier for those of us who either haven't ridden much in the last several decades and/or haven't ridden a 500+ lb bike off-road before....
You may also want to join the "Pacific NW Africa Twin Owners" group on FB if you haven't already, another great way to get info and make friends...
Good luck on your test and hope to see you around!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, just added myself to the FB group, hope to meet up with some folks this summer!

I second the "Thank you for your service" statement and say welcome. I'm up in Woodinville and have had a 2016 AT DCT for three years now....also my first bike. It's a great bike for around here. DCT is an excellent choice as it makes off-road ridding a bigger bike like this much, much easier for those of us who either haven't ridden much in the last several decades and/or haven't ridden a 500+ lb bike off-road before....
You may also want to join the "Pacific NW Africa Twin Owners" group on FB if you haven't already, another great way to get info and make friends...
Good luck on your test and hope to see you around!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome David,

I bought the same bike back in December.

I live in Auburn, but commute into Seattle as well.

My AT is my second bike, and I gotta say, it's a blast!

I would recommend getting some crash bars on her ASAP.

One word of caution though: be wary of the throttle by wire feature. it is SUPER responsive compared to traditional cable throttles.

I look forward to seeing you on the road.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, just added myself to the FB group, hope to meet up with some folks this summer!

You're welcome. There's also one for North America and just a CRF1000 Africa Twin group that's more international but both have plenty of good AT info...

I think it would be great to meet up and get a group together for a ride here and there. Plenty of local options for half day or all day rides....

David, I also second getting some crash bars and also add some bark busters for your bike if you have any plans to ride dirt, even if it's just forest service roads. Saves the plastics and the controls in case your bike decides to take a nap (even a slow speed drop). Before I got bark busters, I dropped mine and broke my DCT parking brake lever....luckily I could still get home no problem, but if it had been a manual and it was the clutch lever, might have been a bigger problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm getting more dirt appropriate tires installed on the 9th, can't wait to get out on the dirt! My wife and I have a cabin in eastern WA basically on the WABDR so will have to get out and do a couple sections this summer! We should totally do a local cruise sometime, on road until the weather allows us to do offroad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the twin! in the Redmond area and looking to check out the WABDR as soon as the snow clears, I’ll try to update the forum on what it’s looking like soon.
@jays0n Let me know what tires you go with and your opinion! I need to make the swap soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts