Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, first post here. I recently purchased a new old stock 2017 AT DCT (love it).

I've now got just over 1300km on it and need to change the oil & filters etc. Im quite a ways away from my dealer and I forgot to order a new Ring for the DCT cover when I bought filters, drain washers, oil etc. How mandatory is it that I change that o-ring ?

If its a "must do" Ill order it and park the bike until it arrives ( I have others I can ride in the interim).

thanks !!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Try it and see. It's not all that likely that it will leak, but if it does, you're not really out anything but the time and effort to change it.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @Straycat and congratulations on your AT acquisition!

I agree with Shadowjack. I personally don't recall having a routine engine cover o-ring not replaced and leaked - ever. Of course, your mileage will vary. If the o-ring becomes damaged, then I would replace it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Fellas, its late next week by the time the dealer gets one in (none in stock) and I get there to pick it up

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Thanks Fellas, its late next week by the time the dealer gets one in (none in stock) and I get there to pick it up
Yea that cover is milled pretty tight.. Just one of those things if it’s not leaking then don’t worry about it. Just so happens the oil change kits I get have them. Along with the trans filter that I change every time; even tho Honda recommends every other oil change.
Yea, it’s overkill, then too, I also put in magnetic drain plugs, agin, overkill...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, 1st oil change is done, it was uneventful aside from the usual difficult removal of the factory filter (apparently installed by Arnold Swartzenegger with a 4ft bar and no lube). My VFR800 filter was equally difficult to remove on the 1st oil change. I will keep an eye on the dct cover but so far so good.

Tomorrow morning the Outback Motortek Crash bars and Engine bars will be installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts