Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
As i mentioned on my presentation, i'm waiting for my my Honda ATAS DCT 2018 to arrive.
Meanwhile I've been reading all topics regarding Africa Twin and the DCT gearbox, that from what I noticed has a lot of fans here in this forum.

To all of those that have an Africa Twin DCT,

1) Did you regret your choice regarding DCT?

2) Have you had any problems with it? Stalling and other things?

3) When you stop, do you put it in neutral?

4) I read somewhere that we should not let the bike crawl a bit in gear, for example in city traffic or at a stop sign or in a inclined road. Is it true?

5) When refueling the bike, do you fill till the top, when you already see the gasoline?

I'm sure i will remember other doubts that I still have. I count on with your help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you've ordered a DCT version, I would suggest it's bit late asking some of these questions.

As you will see from responses, DCT owners are passionate about their decision. Some old dinosaurs like me, stuck with tradition and stayed with manual. I knowingly deprived myself of both the benefit of DCT and possible future maintenance conversations.

I'm sure you will be fine, just think of the thousands of gear changes DCT will save you, good luck and enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello.
As i mentioned on my presentation, i'm waiting for my my Honda ATAS DCT 2018 to arrive.
Meanwhile I've been reading all topics regarding Africa Twin and the DCT gearbox, that from what I noticed has a lot of fans here in this forum.

4) I read somewhere that we should not let the bike crawl a bit in gear, for example in city traffic or at a stop sign or in a inclined road. Is it true?

5) When refueling the bike, do you fill till the top, when you already see the gasoline?

I'm sure i will remember other doubts that I still have. I count on with your help.
1) No regrets so far with the DCT. I took four Africa Twins out on Honda demonstrator rides. One with a manual transmission the other three were DCTs.

2) Fell over on me once. I was over confidant while maneuvering the new bike in my garage. Don't park across a slope with the side stand on the downhill side of the bike. That time the bike did not fall over but I had to get off and push it out of the parking space before I could ride off.

3) In traffic at a stop sign or traffic light it stays in gear. Extended stop or getting off the bike it will be in neutral. As with the manual transmission the engine quits if the side stand is lowered in gear. If you want the engine running with the side stand down the bike must be in neutral.

4) No issues with creep or crawl so far.

5) For refueling the bike has a fill plate inside the tank. Fill to the plate and stop. Can be a bit awkward if the bike is on the centre stand since the cap closer to eye level than you may be used to. You won't know how close you are to full until you see gas at the fill plate.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Expand to see the response ...

Hello.

No. This is my second.

No. Not once.

No. Truth: Rarely - maybe 1 in 500 stops for no real reason.

Not detected an issue in over 12000 kms of DCT riding so far. I reckon Honda thought of this given the big and dual fans on the radiators.

Yes. Usually, but that is just me with any vehicle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I warned you... Another question.

6) Any of you with the Adventure Sports 2018/2019 had problems with the fuel tank?
If so, did anyone tried some type of filter like Gluglatech filter?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Answer with regards to At 2017 DCT
1) Yes i would prefer to have a manual .. my other bike is manual and i prefer the more engaging ride.. that said i went to spain on it last year from the UK .. and played around blipping up and down the gears .. to give me a little more fun on the twisties
2) Yes I have and had the fuel injectors and pump replaced under warranty
3) When i stop at lights or in traffic no i do not switch to neutral .. i do not suffer from creep that some members have reported
4) Before my bike went in for the stalling issues very slow application of the throttle ie slow slow walking pace could cause the stall .. no issues since the swap outs mentioned above
5) Fill to the top on centre stand ... and not highest grade fuel normal unleaded 97ron ... not superunleaded seems to cause a little more coughing n spluttering
6) Cant comment

I will add the bike is fantastic it was my first Big Bike post test and i like it i have made a few mods to suit my needs i use it for commuting and touring my Only regret in my opinion is DCT. I guess i was too new to the game to know what kind of rider i would be and thot the DCT made logical sense from most perspectives. In hindsight always much prefer manual car to auto or paddle shift so maybe should have continued the logic. Its now 3 years old i still have it and i am not looking to sell it so I have got used to the DCT ....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Answer with regards to At 2017 DCT
1) Yes i would prefer to have a manual .. my other bike is manual and i prefer the more engaging ride.. that said i went to spain on it last year from the UK .. and played around blipping up and down the gears .. to give me a little more fun on the twisties
2) Yes I have and had the fuel injectors and pump replaced under warranty
3) When i stop at lights or in traffic no i do not switch to neutral .. i do not suffer from creep that some members have reported
4) Before my bike went in for the stalling issues very slow application of the throttle ie slow slow walking pace could cause the stall .. no issues since the swap outs mentioned above
5) Fill to the top on centre stand ... and not highest grade fuel normal unleaded 97ron ... not superunleaded seems to cause a little more coughing n spluttering
6) Cant comment

I will add the bike is fantastic it was my first Big Bike post test and i like it i have made a few mods to suit my needs i use it for commuting and touring my Only regret in my opinion is DCT. I guess i was too new to the game to know what kind of rider i would be and thot the DCT made logical sense from most perspectives. In hindsight always much prefer manual car to auto or paddle shift so maybe should have continued the logic. Its now 3 years old i still have it and i am not looking to sell it so I have got used to the DCT ....
Many at the Forum have come from a lifetime of standard gearbox and have adopted the Honda DCT. Perspective counts for much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For me I will now if possible always have DCT I love it full stop.
I've only done 2.5k miles but they were all comfortable and smooth no problems to report at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a retired Chief Engineer for a very large fleet of trucks I had a lifetime of truck transmission experience. Automated single and double clutch variants, dry & wet clutch types included. They were sometimes a nightmare to keep maintained and trouble free compared to the simple manual gearbox types. Many tractor units covered 300,000 (triple shifted) miles per year. I could not get away with buying a gearbox (manual) that needed hundreds of thousands of ratio changes per year, especially on urban cycles. While trucks and motorcycles are poles apart, it is easy to see the merits of an automated manual transmission. It used to be said that when a driver had problem with his wife or girlfriend (or both) or had drank too much beer the night before, the transmission would always cope. The only problem with the auto gearbox was that it couldn't see up the road or knew what was coming.

Suffice to say I bought a manual AT when retiring!

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
Hello.

1) I don't regret the choice of DCT in the least. I almost had the regret of not trying it. I was going straight for the manual, but they didn't have one in stock so decided to test ride the DCT to get a feel for the bike. I took that one home. My wife liked mine so much she traded in her BMW F800GS for a DCT model as well. I am not on my second DCT model with a 2019 ATAS.

2) No problems stalling with any of the 3 we have owned between my wife and I. I have had the fuel tank/particulate issue with my 2019 ATAS, but that is an with some ATAS tanks, not a DCT vs Manual issue.

3) I never put it in neutral when I stop. The only time it ever goes into neutral when the bike first starts or if I need to run it with the side stand down for some reason.

4) This is the first I have heard of this. Just my opinion, but I would say untrue/unfounded.

5) I fill it until it hits the level plate inside the neck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sounds like your worrying to much tbh.
The bike will turn up and you're gonna love it.
Ive had 3 DCT Africa Twins since 2016 (upgrades and trade ins on pop), the point being Ive had 2 opportunities to swap back to manual and didn't!
I love it, and when I want a manual feel ... I stick it in Manual...bu thats getting less and less tbh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all.
@zippysworld you are right. I tend to beware of what can happen and try to somehow prevent it, or at least be conscious that if this happens then it's this...
Maybe it's this dame confinement we face it due to the virus.
I'm sure i will enjoy the ATAS. It's a 30 anniversary edition, and almost new. I'm so anxious to arrive.
All opinions and experience are welcome.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Sounds like your worrying to much tbh.
The bike will turn up and you're gonna love it.
Ive had 3 DCT Africa Twins since 2016 (upgrades and trade ins on pop), the point being Ive had 2 opportunities to swap back to manual and didn't!
I love it, and when I want a manual feel ... I stick it in Manual...bu thats getting less and less tbh
Owning three DCTs is a testimony for sure. Motorcycling is too passionate to easily overlook ye olde classic gearbox. Some earnest thought I am sure would always be considered.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well,
This is my first DCT and, I can assure you, it WILL NOT be my last one. I was advised on here that when I was to test drive a DCT for the first time, take it out for about 3-4 hours and really get the feel for it. Well, I didn't need to circle the state of Arizona to realize how quick I adapted to that trans. It took me about 6-8 city blocks to get a good handle on it. After that, it was pure jazz!

No, I don't put it in neutral at stop signs and stop lights UNLESS, I determine for some odd reason, it's gonna be some form of an extended stay at the stop sign or light. Then, all bets are off. As for fueling, I fill it to the point its full, how hard can that be? No issues with any form of crawling at any point of operation. No issues with gas or the tank, YET! Mine also is an '18 AT/AS DCT and, I love it to death. In fact, I could see myself looking for a 2020 version at a later date when it's been sitting around like my '18 has, just so I could get CRUISE CONTROL, SELF CANCELING TURN SIGNALS and a few other decent upgrades. But, without a doubt, it will have a DCT!
Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@FIRE UP thanks for your feedback.
I did some time ago a test ride on a Honda Integra and a NC 750 X, both with DCT. In a few kms I realized that it did the gear changing like i would do in a manual. With the exception of some roundabouts. In those cases we can downshift manually.
As an european model my bike has self canceling turn signals.
@dallas that's a lot of bikes over the years. I will count on your feedback as soon as you get your new Honda. What's the model 1000 or the newest 1100?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts