Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, a Sport Mode would respond quicker if: i) You are already in a Sport Mode, and ii) You don't hit the horn or upshift button first. :rolleyes:
The CTX700 is modeled as a cruiser. That means the Drive mode wants to put you somewhere around 2,500 RPM for the speed you're at. That is a design choice opposite my riding style. I find the machine has me in 5th gear at 35 mph if I've been there for a few. This also means I have virtually no torque available and at least 2 downshifts before I can accel with any authority. There is a market for that I guess. My better half really liked the "tame response" of the thing as she was learning to ride it. Before the CTX she was pillion queen on our FJR. She refused to ride back there after a suspension upgrade made it painful to do so. That bike is quite stiff now (rear spring rate is 1,000 lbf/inch!). It's a hoot to ride hard but no fun on the back seat for long rides.

The CTX is the first and only motorcycle she has ever ridden. She was insistent on a DCT because she didn't like all the clutch and foot work of a manual. Today, she does everything in Sport mode because Drive is just way too slow to respond. It's been fun and a bit scary to watch her grow into this bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hola Wee Willy,
Thanks again for your help, Wee Willie. My injuries are well on the mend. If you ever visit Scotland, I'll be delighted to share that bottle with you. Roads here on the Isle of Bute - about 90 minutes drive/ferry west of Glasgow - are great for biking.
Gorgeous picture! Scotland is on our short list Joe. I'll surely look you up for some single malt and fun fellowship. Maybe even a bike rental? My wife's family is Scottish and I need to pay my respects to the Stone of Scone.

Hopefully soon!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The CTX700 is modeled as a cruiser. That means the Drive mode wants to put you somewhere around 2,500 RPM for the speed you're at. That is a design choice opposite my riding style. I find the machine has me in 5th gear at 35 mph if I've been there for a few. This also means I have virtually no torque available and at least 2 downshifts before I can accel with any authority. There is a market for that I guess. My better half really liked the "tame response" of the thing as she was learning to ride it. Before the CTX she was pillion queen on our FJR. She refused to ride back there after a suspension upgrade made it painful to do so. That bike is quite stiff now (rear spring rate is 1,000 lbf/inch!). It's a hoot to ride hard but no fun on the back seat for long rides.

The CTX is the first and only motorcycle she has ever ridden. She was insistent on a DCT because she didn't like all the clutch and foot work of a manual. Today, she does everything in Sport mode because Drive is just way too slow to respond. It's been fun and a bit scary to watch her grow into this bike.
The smaller bore Honda DCTs I find are best ridden in - yes - a Sport Mode, but arguably even better in Manual Mode. Drive Mode is indeed dismal, and mostly unlike on the AT.

Of course, most owners enjoy the above average fuel economy of the smaller DCTs - even when using Manual Mode.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yes. She's on the warehouse waiting for some space on a container. Of course she will be protected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello.
As i mentioned on my presentation, i'm waiting for my my Honda ATAS DCT 2018 to arrive.
Meanwhile I've been reading all topics regarding Africa Twin and the DCT gearbox, that from what I noticed has a lot of fans here in this forum.

To all of those that have an Africa Twin DCT,

1) Did you regret your choice regarding DCT?

2) Have you had any problems with it? Stalling and other things?

3) When you stop, do you put it in neutral?

4) I read somewhere that we should not let the bike crawl a bit in gear, for example in city traffic or at a stop sign or in a inclined road. Is it true?

5) When refueling the bike, do you fill till the top, when you already see the gasoline?

I'm sure i will remember other doubts that I still have. I count on with your help.
Hi Starmad6,
!) I do not regret buying the DCT. Its very cool and has many benefits you will soon see.
2) No issues what so ever with the DCT.
3) I do not put it in neutral when I stop. I like to be able to move the bike if needed an an emergency.
4) I've never heard that, but if that's true, then should we not creep the bike in off road situations? I'm not sure I buy that.
5) I do not refuel to the top of the tank. It will leak out the overflow when on the sidestand if its too full.
Enjoy the new bike. I'm sure you'll like it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Thanks to all that contributed to learn a bit more about the Africa Twin DCT.

One of the first things I will buy soon is the center stand. But i have a doubt. Is better the ones that have 2 springs or 1 spring.
I have seen different configuration of the center stand. The ones like the oem that have 2 springs or 1 spring like the Constands model.
What do you think?

Edit : Constands model

Heed model

Sw Motech model

·
Registered
4 Posts
Loving the dct and after the weekend offroad riding it's all 2nd nature...
I usually use my xr650r for all my offroad riding , but decided to take my adventure sport .
We rode over 100 miles and i kept up with drz 400 ,wr450r and a ktm 950 super enduro . The trails were mainly dry with some sandy stretches and a couple of river crossings , I was the only one that crossed without getting wet or stalling. Brilliant bit of kit .

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts

One of the first things I will buy soon is the center stand. But i have a doubt. Is better the ones that have 2 springs or 1 spring.
I have seen different configuration of the center stand. The ones like the oem that have 2 springs or 1 spring like the Constands model.
What do you think?

Edit : Constands model

Heed model

Sw Motech model

I believe that they all have 2 springs. Heed did two smaller seperate springs, which I don't really see as an advantage. Actually I don't really like the design or how they are attached, but it probably works fine.

The other two pictured are similar to my Outback Motortek one whereas they have a smaller diameter spring inside the coils of the larger one.

Very pleased with my Outback Motortek one. The springs were a **** to pull. But it stays in place now that it's installed.

But whatever you choose, they are pretty low tech simple devices. I don't think the spring design is what will seperate them.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The Constands is the cheapest. When I see all the pictures of this brand, one of those shows 2 springs. But I guess it's a design difference.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

What do you think?

Sw Motech model

(+1) for the SW-Motech.

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
The Constands is the cheapest. When I see all the pictures of this brand, one of those shows 2 springs. But I guess it's a design difference.
With the Constands stand, the first photo you can see the smaller diameter spring inside the larger one. They have an additional photo that breaks out the parts.

This is the most common practice and I am sure the SW-Motech likewise uses a smaller diameter spring within a larger diameter one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thanks. Now that you mentioned I zoomed the picture. Never realized that the smaller one was inside the bigger one. (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,047 Posts
Thanks. Now that you mentioned I zoomed the picture. Never realized that the smaller one was inside the bigger one. (y)
I would be surprised if there was a modern center stand that didn't use two in one design form or another, but you never know. Most will :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello.
As i mentioned on my presentation, i'm waiting for my my Honda ATAS DCT 2018 to arrive.
Meanwhile I've been reading all topics regarding Africa Twin and the DCT gearbox, that from what I noticed has a lot of fans here in this forum.

To all of those that have an Africa Twin DCT,

1) Did you regret your choice regarding DCT?

2) Have you had any problems with it? Stalling and other things?

3) When you stop, do you put it in neutral?

4) I read somewhere that we should not let the bike crawl a bit in gear, for example in city traffic or at a stop sign or in a inclined road. Is it true?

5) When refueling the bike, do you fill till the top, when you already see the gasoline?

I'm sure i will remember other doubts that I still have. I count on with your help.
1) No
2) It never stalls
3) No, it sits on idle in first gear. There is absolutely no need to put the bike into N while on the street. If it does crawl then you will need to do a DCT reset which takes about one minute and is definitely something every owner should be able to do. There are lots of advice texts out there on how to do this. Ask me if you want me to download the one I use.
4) I don't know where you read that but that is not an issue. The bike should not crawl at all and you can always control motion with the brake. If it is crawling do the DCT reset.
5) I am pretty liberal with the gasoline and I try to squeeze as much in as possible.
You are going to love this bike. Hands down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well,
This is my first DCT and, I can assure you, it WILL NOT be my last one. I was advised on here that when I was to test drive a DCT for the first time, take it out for about 3-4 hours and really get the feel for it. Well, I didn't need to circle the state of Arizona to realize how quick I adapted to that trans. It took me about 6-8 city blocks to get a good handle on it. After that, it was pure jazz!

No, I don't put it in neutral at stop signs and stop lights UNLESS, I determine for some odd reason, it's gonna be some form of an extended stay at the stop sign or light. Then, all bets are off. As for fueling, I fill it to the point its full, how hard can that be? No issues with any form of crawling at any point of operation. No issues with gas or the tank, YET! Mine also is an '18 AT/AS DCT and, I love it to death. In fact, I could see myself looking for a 2020 version at a later date when it's been sitting around like my '18 has, just so I could get CRUISE CONTROL, SELF CANCELING TURN SIGNALS and a few other decent upgrades. But, without a doubt, it will have a DCT!
Scott
And if you really want a cruise control get one from MCCruise in Australia and install it. It is the real deal, not just a throttle lock and takes about three-four hours to install. I love mine.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts