Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
And if you really want a cruise control get one from MCCruise in Australia and install it. It is the real deal, not just a throttle lock and takes about three-four hours to install. I love mine.
Hey Doug,
Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm seriously considering that cruise. It's a bit on the expensive side but, i look at it this way. I saved around $7K by NOT BUYING A 2020 model which, has factory cruise. So, saving that much, I think I can justify that kind of coin for a REAL cruise control. I might even spring for the STS turn signal canceling system but, still thinking on that one. Some folks have had issues with those. Thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
206 Posts
1) No
2) It never stalls
3) No, it sits on idle in first gear. There is absolutely no need to put the bike into N while on the street. If it does crawl then you will need to do a DCT reset which takes about one minute and is definitely something every owner should be able to do. There are lots of advice texts out there on how to do this. Ask me if you want me to download the one I use.
4) I don't know where you read that but that is not an issue. The bike should not crawl at all and you can always control motion with the brake. If it is crawling do the DCT reset.
5) I am pretty liberal with the gasoline and I try to squeeze as much in as possible.
You are going to love this bike. Hands down.
This is the first I've heard of the "DCT Reset" thing. May I ask, what is it, what is it for, and how does one do it?
Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Has anyone tried the reset just like the video? Or anyone asked a Honda dealer to do this reset?

·
Super Moderator
1,049 Posts
Has anyone tried the reset just like the video? Or anyone asked a Honda dealer to do this reset?
Yes. If you prefer it written vs video format, @james.mc posted it in this thread including an attached text file.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Doug,
Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm seriously considering that cruise. It's a bit on the expensive side but, i look at it this way. I saved around $7K by NOT BUYING A 2020 model which, has factory cruise. So, saving that much, I think I can justify that kind of coin for a REAL cruise control. I might even spring for the STS turn signal canceling system but, still thinking on that one. Some folks have had issues with those. Thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is the finished product. About $635 shipped to the US and another 3-4 hours of installation time. Instructions are extremely good. Be sure and do a DCT reset after you have run this for a day or so. The bike started creeping forward when stopped and the reset cured this.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey Doug,
I very much appreciate your help here. I have had the pleasure of Cruise Control on my Goldwings for years and, man, it's tough to live without it. I've used throttle locks in the past and, yeah, they work, sort-a. But, again, since I saved a ton from not purchasing a 2020, the cost of that McCruise doesn't sting so bad. May I ask you, how well has it worked? Based on the buttons, it appears it's just like a standard cruise with all the correct commands. Are you happy with it? Any issues? How long did it take you to get it from Australia? I was amazed at my last purchase. I needed the Eastbound Motorwinch for assisting to lift the AT if and or when, it fell over.

That product is manufactured in the Netherlands. From the time I pushed the button to "Order" your purchase, it arrived, FROM THE NETHERLANDS, in THREE DAYS, at my door step. Heck, even Amazon can't do that in todays world..
Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
She arrived, my Twinie aka ATAS DCT 2018.
Rode it for few kms and first impressions are great. Waiting now for the paperwork to be done, and then be able to ride safe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
She arrived, my Twinie aka ATAS DCT 2018.
Rode it for few kms and first impressions are great. Waiting now for the paperwork to be done, and then be able to ride safe. View attachment 55202
Sir,
Just wondering, you say it "Just arrived", correct? A question or two for you. I have the identical bike, an '18 AT/AS/DCT. I have owned it since 4/8/20.

1. I see different tires than what came on mine, did it come that way, if not, did you change them or, did the dealership change them or, does AT's that are sent to different parts of the world, have different tires on them?
2. I see a top box. Again, if it just arrived, did it come that way or, did you install it?
Scott

P.S. By the way, this is my stock front tire:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Sir,
Just wondering, you say it "Just arrived", correct? A question or two for you. I have the identical bike, an '18 AT/AS/DCT. I have owned it since 4/8/20.

1. I see different tires than what came on mine, did it come that way, if not, did you change them or, did the dealership change them or, does AT's that are sent to different parts of the world, have different tires on them?
2. I see a top box. Again, if it just arrived, did it come that way or, did you install it?
Scott

P.S. By the way, this is my stock front tire:
Your front tire looks like those dire Dunlop Trailmax's (not the Missions) that Honda use to peddle before the 2020 model.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
@FIRE UP It was a private deal. It's almost new, about 6,500kms. Less than i refered on my presentation, just for the sake of the privacy of the deal.
The previous owner took off the Dunlop that came with the bike at about 2,700kms. They came with the deal, and are almost new. The tires instaled are the Metzeler Karoo 3. Not much feedback that i can give now.
The top case is the Givi V40 tech and did make part of the deal to.
The papers are ok, insurance as been taken care as well, now it's time to get to know my Twinie.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Roger that Sir. Certainly didn't mean to pry. I was under the impression it was a brand new '18, just like mine was about 5 weeks ago. But, yours had different tires. Now I understand. That's great. I love this machine. I've been riding Honda Goldwings for over 35 years and just sort of, transferred over to this AT/AS DCT. I still really like Goldwings but, for now, the Twin's got me. Thanks for getting back to me on this. Have fun with it.
Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, congratulations on the purchase - I'm a bit late to the party and a little bit drunk atm, but here's my two cents in case it's helpful :)

1) Did you regret your choice regarding DCT?
Nope love dct, it's fantastic.

2) Have you had any problems with it? Stalling and other things?
Yup, I have had it stall a few times, mostly in D mode and cold weather. Only happened at a stop when pulling away. I leave it in S2 and abuse it and haven't had the problem in ages. I think it likes to be thrashed rather than ridden gently!

3) When you stop, do you put it in neutral?
When you stop with the engine on there is no need for that but when you stop to park 100% make sure you always put in neutral before you turn the engine off (don't turn it off using the emergency stop switch either!)

4) I read somewhere that we should not let the bike crawl a bit in gear, for example in city traffic or at a stop sign or in a inclined road. Is it true?
No idea but I wouldn't worry about that, let the electronics take care of the engine for you.

5) When refueling the bike, do you fill till the top, when you already see the gasoline?
Put as much as I can in, then a bit more. I run it fairly low too as the fuel gauge is pretty good, I run out of nerve with about 12 miles left showing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
@rtfm thanks for the reply. Always welcome all the opinions and experiences. I haven't yet gave her a big ride but for sure will. But by now I'm mostly getting to know her. The weight, how she responds to my inputs. I haven't changed from D mode yet. I did downshift a few times with my thumb, not all that much to be honest. But I thought it would be worst than it's revealing. There's some how a hidden mode that if you roll the throttle she will give what you ask for. I will leave the Sport modes for later on.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
When you stop with the engine on there is no need for that but when you stop to park 100% make sure you always put in neutral before you turn the engine off (don't turn it off using the emergency stop switch either!)
Why? I do this 50% of the time with all my bikes. I have seen this elsewhere in the Forum. I am not understanding this.

Sometimes even when the DCT is in gear, but never a problem afterwards. However, I do try to put it in neutral prior to turning off the ignition.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts