Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I always try to remember not to blip the throttle. And that has made me do exactly that, put in neutral when i park and then i stop.

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
Why? I do this 50% of the time with all my bikes. I have seen this elsewhere in the Forum. I am not understanding this.

Sometimes even when the DCT is in gear, but never a problem afterwards. However, I do try to put it in neutral prior to turning off the ignition.
I drop the side stand and turn off the key, just like I have with all my bikes. Never had an issue with doing that so why stop now :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
I drop the side stand and turn off the key, just like I have with all my bikes. Never had an issue with doing that so why stop now :)

I have been "mixing it up" for decades for old school reasons to ensure the stop button still works.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why? I do this 50% of the time with all my bikes. I have seen this elsewhere in the Forum. I am not understanding this.

Sometimes even when the DCT is in gear, but never a problem afterwards. However, I do try to put it in neutral prior to turning off the ignition.
So I've heard of problems with the bike putting itself back into neutral when the ignition is next on if the battery is low and the dct bikes won't start if they are not in neutral.

The stop switch is for emergency use only afaik - page 51 of my manual "Should normally remain in the Run position... In an emergency, switch to the off position to stop the engine"

Page 62 of my manual for stopping the engine says to put the bike in neutral first and then turn the ignition switch to off and with the amount of electronics in the DCT version I'd rather do things by the book even if the risk of something going wrong is low the repair cost I imagine would be high.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you're that rare type that actually took the time to read the owners manual and then go that one step further and remember what it says.. and pay attention without adding all sorts of conspiracy theory baggage to every line. Thats absolutely fine by me. (I did the same)

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
So I've heard of problems with the bike putting itself back into neutral when the ignition is next on if the battery is low and the dct bikes won't start if they are not in neutral.

The stop switch is for emergency use only afaik - page 51 of my manual "Should normally remain in the Run position... In an emergency, switch to the off position to stop the engine"

Page 62 of my manual for stopping the engine says to put the bike in neutral first and then turn the ignition switch to off and with the amount of electronics in the DCT version I'd rather do things by the book even if the risk of something going wrong is low the repair cost I imagine would be high.
Yes, it would be logical that there is risk of being stuck in gear if ignition is turned off in gear and the battery is not healthy. That is believable. However, you are not going anywhere even if in neutral and with a depleted battery.

Turning off by the stop confirms that the stop switch is still operational. That is pretty well it. I suppose if you have electrical accessories that still need to run a bit longer, then they will until the ignition switch is turned off. Unfortunately, some riders might forget that and walk away while their battery depletes. That is operator error.

Turning the ignition off by the stop switch is a fundamental use case that Honda must handle reliably every time - which it does.

If the user cannot turn off their machine with the stop switch daily, then there is something wrong with the associated component design, and I doubt that is an issue with the AT.

The stop switch/circuit is a safety function. It must work, not once, but every time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To put it simple -- No bike should be manually shifted !

Probably worth reminding that ICE is a very ancient tech, existing only because oil production being cheap, and gears themselves are there just to compensate for the slow progress and therefore - technology lapses. Some riders boast superior skills at gear changing, but that's tantamount to claiming exceptional handwriting speeds in front of a laser printer. So DCT is the very minimum we can get given the circumstances.

Congrats on the new toy!

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
To put it simple -- No bike should be manually shifted !

Probably worth reminding that ICE is a very ancient tech, existing only because oil production being cheap, and gears themselves are there just to compensate for the slow progress and therefore - technology lapses. Some riders boast superior skills at gear changing, but that's tantamount to claiming exceptional handwriting speeds in front of a laser printer. So DCT is the very minimum we can get given the circumstances.

Congrats on the new toy!
Once the bound on range is resolved, freeway worthy electric motorcycles will eventually become the standard. The gearing/clutch issue becomes as relevant as the steam engine for everyday use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So I've heard of problems with the bike putting itself back into neutral when the ignition is next on if the battery is low and the dct bikes won't start if they are not in neutral.....
Howdy All, (my first post to this forum)....I've ridden every model DCT that Honda has made since the '12 VFR1200F. I've owned the '17 VRF1200X for three years and will pick up a 2020 ATAS ES this month....Intro done....

Regarding the switch to neutral what I have seen is that on the current generation of DCT, if you inadvertently have slight throttle when you shut down, the bike will not want to start because it will be "stuck" and be unable to get to neutral on restart. Per the manual, put it in neutral before shutdown. I have also shut down many times without neutral first, as I'm sure you've all seen, with absolutely no issues. As to low battery coming into this, I have no specific comment. But low battery on a DCT will in general cause issues. On a related topic, as a word of advice, carry a jump starter. There's no push start for a DCT...

Hello.
As i mentioned on my presentation, i'm waiting for my my Honda ATAS DCT 2018 to arrive.
Meanwhile I've been reading all topics regarding Africa Twin and the DCT gearbox, that from what I noticed has a lot of fans here in this forum.

To all of those that have an Africa Twin DCT,

1) Did you regret your choice regarding DCT?

2) Have you had any problems with it? Stalling and other things?

3) When you stop, do you put it in neutral?

4) I read somewhere that we should not let the bike crawl a bit in gear, for example in city traffic or at a stop sign or in a inclined road. Is it true?

5) When refueling the bike, do you fill till the top, when you already see the gasoline?

I'm sure i will remember other doubts that I still have. I count on with your help.
Congrats on your purchase!

1. In advance of my own purchase, no. But I have a great deal of DCT saddle time. LOVE IT!
2. Rarely and nothing a DCT reset did not fix.
3. Yes (if I remember to)
4. This is true, or so I've heard. Apparently, no DCT (car or bike) likes to do the creep crawl stutter start stop of bumper to bumper. Low speed constant or on and off for tight terrain is fine. In heavy traffic, I simply gauge the movement to be a positive start to a positive stop. If I can idle forward, I will, but I avoid working the throttle back and forth at low speeds trying to win the "slow race".
5. Caveat: no long term AT experience yet. On my personal VFR I will fill to the brim if I'm immediately moving distance. If I'm going to park immediately then I fill to the recommended fill point on the neck. No issues to date, but I also don't have a canister on my VFR. In previous bikes part of the overfill issue would be fuel into the charcoal canister working back into the system. Not sure it's an issue with these bikes but if you overfill and stall, that's where I would start my diagnosis.

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
Welcome Dieselboy. You pretty much described the KTM 1190 I owned with the charcoal canister issue :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Doug,
I very much appreciate your help here. I have had the pleasure of Cruise Control on my Goldwings for years and, man, it's tough to live without it. I've used throttle locks in the past and, yeah, they work, sort-a. But, again, since I saved a ton from not purchasing a 2020, the cost of that McCruise doesn't sting so bad. May I ask you, how well has it worked? Based on the buttons, it appears it's just like a standard cruise with all the correct commands. Are you happy with it? Any issues? How long did it take you to get it from Australia? I was amazed at my last purchase. I needed the Eastbound Motorwinch for assisting to lift the AT if and or when, it fell over.

That product is manufactured in the Netherlands. From the time I pushed the button to "Order" your purchase, it arrived, FROM THE NETHERLANDS, in THREE DAYS, at my door step. Heck, even Amazon can't do that in todays world..
Scott
Sorry about the delay getting back to you. The cc from Australia works perfectly. I took it on a long trip to Canada from here in California and it worked perfectly. On those long straight roads it keeps you from going crazy monitoring the throttle. I would say it arrived in about a week or less from Oz. Never have had any issues with it. Just be sure and be meticulous about following the installation directions. The ones they send you are excellent. Have fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@rtfm thanks for the reply. Always welcome all the opinions and experiences. I haven't yet gave her a big ride but for sure will. But by now I'm mostly getting to know her. The weight, how she responds to my inputs. I haven't changed from D mode yet. I did downshift a few times with my thumb, not all that much to be honest. But I thought it would be worst than it's revealing. There's some how a hidden mode that if you roll the throttle she will give what you ask for. I will leave the Sport modes for later on.
Sport modes on these bikes are essential to the experience. I use Sport 1 for in town, Sport 2 for twisties and country roads, Sport 3 for hairpins. Hint: I just set it in Sport 2 and leave it there 90% of the time so it is in that setting whenever I switch out of D mode. I almost never use the paddle shifters except on rare occasions when I come into a turn and want a little more engine braking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve not long bought a DCT. It’s not new, 2 years old, and I’m the third owner. I don’t think they’re everyones cup of tea. On balance, I love it, and it’s come to its forever home. Already loading it up with stuff.
my only concern is slow speed stuff. Tight right turns at junctions (in the UK). No matter how smooth my throttle work is, it’s a bit lumpy. Can imagine some getting into real trouble/dangers. Haven’t used it off-road yet. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
I’ve not long bought a DCT. It’s not new, 2 years old, and I’m the third owner. I don’t think they’re everyones cup of tea. On balance, I love it, and it’s come to its forever home. Already loading it up with stuff.
my only concern is slow speed stuff. Tight right turns at junctions (in the UK). No matter how smooth my throttle work is, it’s a bit lumpy. Can imagine some getting into real trouble/dangers. Haven’t used it off-road yet. 🤷‍♂️
How do you like it in tight U-turns?

So far I have no complaints and I believe it can do tighter turns than most bikes its size. Sure, there is no clutch to feather, but I am not missing that as feathering the throttle/rear brake appears to works just as well.

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
How do you like it in tight U-turns?

So far I have no complaints and I believe it can do tighter turns than most bikes its size. Sure, there is no clutch to feather, but I am not missing that as feathering the throttle/rear brake appears to works just as well.
Having had a 2016 DCT and a 2019 DCT, I do find the throttle by wire makes for much smoother feathering of the throttle, which helps a lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Having had a 2016 DCT and a 2019 DCT, I do find the throttle by wire makes for much smoother feathering of the throttle, which helps a lot.
Yes, that is an interesting point. This is my fourth throttle-by-wire bike and I don't think I would ever go back to cables.

I remember times riding in winters and the throttle cables were resistant to retracting. Talk about throttle strain relief and/or "cruise control" ... and definitely hands-free riding. :p

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
Yes, that is an interesting point. This is my fourth throttle-by-wire bike and I don't think I would ever go back to cables.

I remember times riding in winters and the throttle cables were resistant to retracting. Talk about throttle strain relief and/or "cruise control" ... and definitely hands-free riding. :p
My wife has been thinking about adding one of those G2 "Street Tamer" throttle tubes to her 2017. If she does I will report back about whether or not she found it helps the slow speed manouvers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Slow traffic, roundabouts and u-turnes don't seem to bother both my Twinie or me. With rear brake and smooth acceleration does the job. No complaints on that.
I have had a bit of a taste on the Sport 2 mode and it's great. It seems to react the way I should. But on city riding the D mode does the job. But overall I'm really enjoying the DCT and the stress free ride that its rewarding me each time i ride it.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts