Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How durable is the dct? I’d like to take the bike to Patagonia but am unsure if the dct can endure that many miles. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am at 67000 Km without any problems. Only spokes corrosion like most of the '16 & '17 have. Don't care about it has no influence on quality of riding this bike. There is another test in Germany and this man has a lot more km with DCT
132000 Km with only 2 issues. First rear wheel bearing(48000 Km)and right Kill/start switch problem(103000 Km).
You can read it here in German of course.
http://www.varahannes.at/afrika twin-b.htm

·
Registered
91 Posts
They've been building bikes with DCT for 8-9 years now and it has come as an option on all of these different bike models:

Gold Wing
X-ADV
CTX700
CTX700N
NC750X
NC750S
NC700X
NM4 / Vultus
Integra
Africa Twin CRF1000L
Africa Twin Adventure Sports CRF1000L2
VFR1200X DCT / CrossTourer
VFR1200F DCT

They've got it figured out. I have a 2016 AT DCT and a 2012 NC700X DCT. Both run fine, no issues with DCT.

Unless Patagonia is over 200,000 miles away, I suspect you'll be fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It might be true in general, but some people are hard on the dct throttle & I am amazed that the clutch plates last so well on these bikes..

The vfr1200 forums don't have even one thread where the clutch plates are done where some have done over 200k & still going.. the japs have the durability nailed on these dct's it seems..

·
Registered
492 Posts
The PCM won't abuse the clutches (i.e., slip the crap out of them) like a rider might. There's not much else different in there except for the gear-change motor and the extra oil pump capacity.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah and there's 2 clutches so they can share the wear. Also, the DCT isn't sloppy or lazy with the shifting so no accidental abuse to the shift dogs and shift forks inside the transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They put it in the goldwing so you know it’s not half baked. Had mine for 15 months. No issues and I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
It's not a question of miles.
The question to be asked is what can you do in a third world location without a competent mechanic.
Getting the right part(s) once you have found a competent mechanic.

·
Registered
492 Posts
All it really is, is a couple of hydraulic clutch packs, like in a normal automatic transmission, a couple of oil-control valves, and a motor that rotates the shift drum. And a PCM with a couple of dozen sensors... But modern bikes all have this electronic issue, regardless of the trans type. You're not going to be able to troubleshoot anything in the Back of Beyond without a trained mechanic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts