Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had my Africa Twin on the center stand and started it to show a friend what a DCT was. I shifted it through a few gears to show him how it worked then shut it off.

When I started the bike again it wouldn't go into gear and had a dash in the gear
window and shows a green N on the screen.

It seems like it's stuck in Neutral. Has anybody had this type of experience with a DCT before. Is there anyone who knows how to reset the transmission so it will go into gear again?

·
Registered
445 Posts
A blinking dash in the gear window means some kind of abnormal condition has been detected on the DCT. Usually needs Honda diagnostic tool to read and clear it.

If for "reset" you mean the "align" procedure, here it is:

Start the engine, let it reach working temperature
Select N
Stop the engine.
While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow ‘engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D
Press in fast sequence: DDNDN
On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together
Restart engine, allow it to idle.
After a few seconds, the letters D and S should go out.​

·
Registered
423 Posts
I recently watched a review for the DCT AT. The reviewer mentioned this incident, the DCT not engaging the 1st gear. He said that the solution is the same as with manual bikes if they refuse to take the 1st ..... just move it a bit forward and backwards.

Do not know if it is valid.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe that the DCT system relies on the front wheel revolving to decide gears. That's why DCT bikes can't be run on rolling roads.

·
Registered
577 Posts
DCT on the centerstand.
Only rear wheel can turn.
As some have posted,
you can only make the wheel turn in first gear; the DCT does not shift into 2nd without the front wheel turning as well.
If you were indeed able to shift gears on the centerstand, there is a DCT problem and the "dash" is indicating it.
Time to take it to your dealer for proper diagnostics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any update on this issue?

I had a dash on my screen and then the bike wouldn't start at all. I had it towed to the dealer where I bought the bike and after a lot research and talking to Honda North America they replaced the complete wiring harness. That was 10 months ago and so far no more issues?

FYI I learned today that there has been a recall on the wiring harness for the 250 CFRL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts