Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi new to the forum pick up my new africa twin sport in november i test rode the dct and standard transmission now i found the dct got rother warm on me right shin has any one else found this

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2018 ATAS DCT that I have ridden for over 10,000 miles and have not noticed either leg getting particularly hot. Some of my riding included Southern Mexico in over 38C (100 F) weather and stop and go traffic. Maybe the larger tank and fairings allow the bike to divert the hot air away from the rider.

My Triumph Tiger 800XC would roast my right leg under the same conditions.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
I can't say that I have ever noticed the DCT causing any additional heat on the 2016 AT I reviously owned or the 2019 ATAS I currently own. Maybe I just don't notice it? Dunno

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would suggest that because the DCT transmission is so smooth, seamless and places no extra strain on the gears, it will run cooler. It will not 'add' heat.
However.. Because it's physically larger, wider than the standard bike, you might be a little more conscious of the engine oil heat, especially in warmer/hot climates. Wearing thinner protective gear without liners.
So far I've not experienced any difference.. These bikes run hot, or at least they seem to compared with other bikes I have owned. That's the only factor that I have experienced that sets my own bike apart from those others.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference in heat on my DCT.
Now I can say the KTM 1090 I test rode roasted both my boys equally. That was a deal breaker, thank goodness!

·
Registered
2020 ATAS ES DCT and a few more
345 Posts
I live in Florida and it has been hot almost every day since I bought my ATAS DCT. This is on of the hotter bikes I've ever owned when going down the road. The air from the radiator is dumped right on my legs at cruise. The upper right side of the bike case is very hot and it positioned just "wrong" so as to almost burn me a few times.

I have a few other ADV bikes and while cruising on the highway none of them dump the amount of heat I get from the radiator from the AT. It is as though Ducati and BMW actually put some thought into where the hot air flows when moving. They all are hot when at a stop and the fan kicks on but only my continues the bathing me in hot air when cruising down the road at 70+ mph. If I put my legs WAY out from the bike and into the airflow it is finally closer to what my other bikes are like.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
2,973 Posts
Hate to be Captain Obvious here but;
We are sitting on top of and have our legs wrapped around a fairly large gasoline engine, you GOTTA expect heat of some kind. That said, you shouldn’t expect to smell flesh burning either. But you are going to get and feel some kinda heat from somewhere...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts