Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had this problem for almost two years now. The dealer is clueless.

Has anyone got an idea what it can be?
Cheers,
Laszlo

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
Oh my. That does not sound normal. Almost sounds like the engine is being loaded. Geez.

Is this all the time or during cold start up?

Surprising Honda can't forward a video to head office to get an opinion?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds like feuling issue, or misfire at idle.. There are any things to check.. firstly try a battery disconnect for a mcu reset. Check battery health. Check troubleshooting misfire at idle in workshop manual.. the list is too long for me to dictate here..

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
Sounds like feuling issue, or misfire at idle.. There are any things to check.. firstly try a battery disconnect for a mcu reset. Check battery health. Check troubleshooting misfire at idle in workshop manual.. the list is too long for me to dictate here..
That is an idea. I would expect it to happen at speed too, but its behaviour might alter.

@silverfox966: All your drainage tubes (3) drained?

Two years seems like a long time.

·
Super Moderator
2,132 Posts
It is definitely RPM related, every time the motor hiccuped the noise was heard. Maybe oil pressure related? A drop in pressure for a sec. is causing issues in the DCT?
Just a WAG.. (Wild Azz Guess)

The hiccups are temperature related, the ECU seems to have issues with fueling when the bike is Luke warm. It seems to stumble a bit but then will usually clear up. I get that issue on my 18 ATAS. But only in those conditions. If the bike is hot or cold ( even really cold ) no problem. A bit warm ( like baking in the hot humid sun all day) seems to do it.

Anyone who’s started a old school bike with a manual choke that was at that point that it needs just a bit of choke to start it, can relate to what I’m saying..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine did that, not to that extent, from the very first time firing it up in front of salesman. The hiccup.

Pretty much as AT described. Doesn't do it as much after hitting 2k miles, but every once in awhile it will.

Mines manual.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A defective (not faulty) oxygen sensor could also cause this.. if you have 2016/2017 lubricate the on/off starter switch.. they are rubbish, my earlier model twin had bad connection & would sometimes not prime pump & start..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A defective (not faulty) oxygen sensor could also cause this.. if you have 2016/2017 lubricate the on/off starter switch.. they are rubbish, my earlier model twin had bad connection & would sometimes not prime pump & start..
Actually the priming hap ok as ai hear it,

·
Registered
90 Posts
If it were my single cylinder CRF I'd say it is the auto decompressor kicking in at low RPM. I don't think the twin has that so perhaps the timing chain slapping around a bit as the engine is struggling to run?

FWIW my bike started to do this along with a crappy launch when cold, It actually stalled for the first time in 15K. DCT reset cured it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it were my single cylinder CRF I'd say it is the auto decompressor kicking in at low RPM. I don't think the twin has that so perhaps the timing chain slapping around a bit as the engine is struggling to run?

FWIW my bike started to do this along with a crappy launch when cold, It actually stalled for the first time in 15K. DCT reset cured it.
dct was reset by the dealer 10 days ago or so. Can’t beleive the dealer can’t solve it. What year is yours?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reset it again yourself:

Bike/oil at operating temp!

DCT RESET
  • Start the engine.
  • Select N
  • Stop the engine.
  • While pressing D, switch the ignition on, wait until the yellow ‘engine' symbol goes out on the dash, then release D
  • Press in fast sequence: DDNDN
  • On the dash, the letters D and S should appear together
  • Restart engine, allow it to idle.
  • After a few seconds, the letters D and S should go out.
Job done!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have done the reset. What’ s more the dealership did a reset when I got my bike back (after the software was reloaded).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I may have found something interesting. I started the bike with the charger on and there was no noise. The next day I left the charger on the battery whole night and again there was no noise. It may be a coincidence. The dealershio measure the battaryvoltage and it was 12.9V which means to me it is ok. Nevertheless if the battery starts the engine then the generator takes over provoding the electricity I would think.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
When the DCT problem occurs, what is the voltage across the battery during the engine starter (how low does it droop), and after when the engine has started?

The measured results are important indicators of battery health.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure about motorcycles, but for cars, 12.9 indicates a bad battery. Good voltage should be 14.1 to 14.4

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
Hey @alvav, welcome to the Forum. Feel free to mosey over to the new members introduction area and brag about your beast (s). Members love it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts