Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering ordering the foot shifter when I buy my AF DCT. I have watched a few videos online for the NC700XD foot shifter installation and operation. I am going to assume it is similar for the Africa Twin.

If you will look up : PART 3: NC700XD DEMO RIDE WITH DCT FOOT SHIFT KIT on youtube or google it.

(I had to post the title because the forum software will not let me put in links unless I have a certain number of post. That and the ridiculous Caps,lowercase,and number and captcha requirements of logging in here make my hesitant to come to this site)

The poster goes thru upshifting and downshifting with both the paddle shifters and the foot shifter that he installed in previous videos.

if you will notice when he goes for Automatic mods (S or D) and starts to use the paddle shifters and the foot shifter the display still shows S or D as he upshifts or down shifts. I "thought' that you had to press the A/M button on the right handle bar then use the paddles then if you wanted to go back into automatic you press the A/M button again or hit the S/D button on the right handle bar. Why does the display still show S or D when he is manually shifting. Or am I just not understanding the whole operation of the manual mode and the DCT transmission all together?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The manual shift paddles on the left handlebar (and I assume the foot shifter if fitted) will work in all modes - D, S, or M. In D or S, the "auto" function eventually takes over again, but the shift paddles work in all modes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My video - here's the link: https://youtu.be/MX8NoY-xGsQ I can only speak to the NC700XD, but I'm pretty sure there aren't significant differences between it and the AT for the functions we are discussing here.

To start: the foot shifter is nothing more than another way to perform shift paddle functions (up and down shifts), so what you are seeing is exactly what you can do using the paddles -- with or without installing a foot shift kit. And, except when you choose Manual with the A/M button, all the paddles or foot shifter do, is over-ride the S or D programming for shift points. This is the key point you might be missing: the rider is always able to over-ride the DCT programming to control the gear selections, regardless of which modes he chooses. Except of course for safeguards (e,g, rev-limiter) built into the software to protect the engine.

When you choose Manual mode, all shifting is controlled by the paddles (or foot shifter if one is installed) except that the programming will shift down to first even if you don't when you come to a stop, to protect the engine from lugging when you start up again. And the rev-limiter is always there to protect the engine from over-revving.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am considering ordering the foot shifter when I buy my AF DCT. I have watched a few videos online for the NC700XD foot shifter installation and operation. I am going to assume it is similar for the Africa Twin.

If you will look up : PART 3: NC700XD DEMO RIDE WITH DCT FOOT SHIFT KIT on youtube or google it.

(I had to post the title because the forum software will not let me put in links unless I have a certain number of post. That and the ridiculous Caps,lowercase,and number and captcha requirements of logging in here make my hesitant to come to this site)

The poster goes thru upshifting and downshifting with both the paddle shifters and the foot shifter that he installed in previous videos.

if you will notice when he goes for Automatic mods (S or D) and starts to use the paddle shifters and the foot shifter the display still shows S or D as he upshifts or down shifts. I "thought' that you had to press the A/M button on the right handle bar then use the paddles then if you wanted to go back into automatic you press the A/M button again or hit the S/D button on the right handle bar. Why does the display still show S or D when he is manually shifting. Or am I just not understanding the whole operation of the manual mode and the DCT transmission all together?
My advice would be to try the AF DCT as it comes and if after a month you still want the footshifter it can easily be fitted. I felt the same about my NC750X DCT and thought it would be more natural to use my left foot. But it has become very natural to use the paddles and they are quicker and easier to use than a footpedal. If you fit the footpedal from the off you are unlikely to develop the new brain pathways for paddle operation.
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too thought I would want the foot shift option, and had a bunch of preloaded premonitions about the DCT (and was buying on a "leap of faith" as I did not have a chance to test ride anything with a DCT before my purchase) and by the time I made the 40 mile trek home all of them had been erased.

I would say like it is mentioned above that the bike is the standard "D" mode shifts very early / at a low RPM however I do not think most people probably use a constant throttle position as the bike shifts.

Just before putting my bike away for the winter I found that if I let the bike shift from 1-2, then 2-3, then after 3rd Id roll off the gas a little and let it grab 4th and then roll on the throttle that the engine has a lot of torque. Use this much throttle in the low gears and it will just want to stay in gear, but this seemed to really show how well the engine could lug.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I too thought I would want the foot shift option, and had a bunch of preloaded premonitions about the DCT (and was buying on a "leap of faith" as I did not have a chance to test ride anything with a DCT before my purchase) and by the time I made the 40 mile trek home all of them had been erased.

I would say like it is mentioned above that the bike is the standard "D" mode shifts very early / at a low RPM however I do not think most people probably use a constant throttle position as the bike shifts.

Just before putting my bike away for the winter I found that if I let the bike shift from 1-2, then 2-3, then after 3rd Id roll off the gas a little and let it grab 4th and then roll on the throttle that the engine has a lot of torque. Use this much throttle in the low gears and it will just want to stay in gear, but this seemed to really show how well the engine could lug.
On the NC forum some people complain that the 'lugging' or 'labouring' that the bike does in D-mode is bad for the engine and so they prefer to use M-mode.
My view is that Honda engineers would not program the gearbox in a way that was likely to cause damage, and in fact on the NC range their selling points include long life and big service intervals.
Perhaps we need to think of lugging in a more positive way - it doesn't damage the engine (as long as you have a DCT box to make sure it doesn't go too far), and it promotes fuel economy - so riding in D-mode will save the planet.
Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can not shift as fast nor as smooth with the foot shifter as you can with the paddle shifter. Just takes a few days to get use too.

After over 50 years of shifting with my foot and using the clutch, I would have bet the house that nothing could shift as good as I could manually. After a few days on the DCT, I did change my mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the DCT foot shifter and prefer to use it when down shifting. The DCT system does a pretty good job when changing gears and I find I am not bothering with the paddles anymore, but prefer to use the pedal when approaching traffic lights and downshifting to brake.

Its a nice to have and you still have that connection back to the manual gear stick feeling. Its not cheap and a bit of work involved to install and program through the ECU system. Instructions are pretty good.

I think it would also be handy when going off road and wanting to downshift when approaching a turn using your foot and keeping your hands on the handlebars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts