Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed that the transmission freewheels when decending a steep slope with no throttle? I find myself giving it a bit of throttle and riding the brake to keep it engaged. It's been that way since new and I think it's normal but I'm curious if others experience the same thing

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say mine is the same feeling. A little unnerving at first, since I've only had the DCT for three weeks. I've found that if putting in the highest sport mode level doesn't give the right amount of hold back, I switch to manual mode and it feels life a normal motorcycle again. I'd rather use engine braking for long, steep descents rather than ride the brakes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you talking about really slow downhills?
I am usually in S-2 mode offroad and haven't noticed that as it will downshift and engine brake on off-road downhills.
Sometimes downhill, you just have to let it run and let the bike flow, no different than with a clutched bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's just at slow speeds in first gear, it can be in manual mode or any of the auto-shift modes and the throttle has to be completely closed and using compression braking

·
Registered
110 Posts
It will up to a certain speed, I noticed at slow speed it would disengage while practicing tight turns.
So I took it to a hill and started to coast down, within 10mph, first gear took hold and engine braking kicked in.
My DCT has no problems with pulling forward at stops while idling, it will roll backwards with ease while idling in D

Its a slow speed trade off. If you have a clutch you feather it at slow speeds.
In the DCT you have to sorta feather the rear brake instead.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah. It took me a few rides off-road to get comfortable with how the DCT reacts.
I usually keep it in S-2 with my fingers ready to change gears as needed.
As I got comfortable with it, I love how smooth it downshifts on steep uphills with no loss of momentum and no wheel spin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just rode on a very steep jeep trail near Loveland Colorado. Going up was a lot of work, but going down was scary as ****. 1st gear, manual mode, and I pretty much rode the brake all the way down, skidding half the way. This bike is just too heavy to do gnarly trails. Manual mode does help a lot, but if it is too steep, the weight of the bike becomes a problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Root, the weight of this bike has been interesting to get used to, steep loose downhills are much harder to control and getting the bike going in soft material is much harder because the front tire is like a plow. I knew that I would have to get used to a heavier bike, It's just interesting to see all the different ways that the weight affects it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just rode on a very steep jeep trail near Loveland Colorado. Going up was a lot of work, but going down was scary as ****. 1st gear, manual mode, and I pretty much rode the brake all the way down, skidding half the way. This bike is just too heavy to do gnarly trails. Manual mode does help a lot, but if it is too steep, the weight of the bike becomes a problem.
Storm Mountain, right?
That is a steep long, loose, rocky bitch of a hill.
I saw you there I was on the yellow Can am Renegade.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Personally I don't quite see how any of the large 'adventure bikes' could ever be expected to handle like a light trials machine. I think you just have to have realistic expectations. It does not matter what bike it is, if it weighs north of 250 kilos the simple laws of Physics and gravity are going to make it slide down a steep and slippery hill. It still makes a great comfortable tourer though. :):) DCT does a great job even on a steep road hill.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've seen people on dirtbikes have the same reaction so don't feel bad!

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, seems to me this is the thing with a bike like this. Its a compromise, and will never be a nimble off-roader. Sure is a lot nicer 2-up on the highway than a CRF250L though! It's certainly not an issue of DCT vs Manual though - other than that extra 10kg's :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you are attempting single-track rocky downhills - god speed to you.
If you are talking loose, rocky, 2-track, rut crossing downhills, I find the DCT version of the AT fairly nimble and controllable and actually find the mass of the bike somewhat of a benefit in maintaining momentum over bigger rocks.
It's all about getting comfortable on the bike, standing up on the pegs over rough stuff and not expecting it to be a 200# dirt bike.
My 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts